RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top bullet molds I love and recommend.

Boolit Master
    What happened to the attachments/pictures? Thanks

Boolit Master

I have a pair of Garands. I feed them both the Lyman 311284 paper patched without a gas check. I make sure to cover the base of the bullet and I also open up the case mouth pretty wide to accept these fat boolits. I can very the powder charge or simply adjust the gas valve doo hickey I bought for both of them to get a smooth running but accurate round.

I cast plain jane WD COWW and I add PSB to fill the cases to obviate different powder burning possibilities. With mild loadings of cast boolits and annealing cases after every 5 loadings I am getting outstanding life out of 30-06 cases. Eventually the primer pockets get loose before the cases start to crack or split.

I surely does complicate reloading as it adds multiple steps to the process but while listening to a audio book on my computer (free from our local library online) I can multitask safely and maximise my time.

Between paper patching and the use of PSB the bores of my M1's need little cleaning between range sessions as there is never any lead deposited and the burning of the powder does not produce a lot of fouling at all. There is some littering of the shooting line with fragments of paper and sometimes I can smell the burnt plastic but it is really not an issue.

I get a lot of trigger time and great fun firing these two veteran rifles and they are hardly stressed at all by my loading down and the utilization of paper patched boolits.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master
    A few years back I added a new (to me) rifle to the herd, this one a Winchester 94AE in .45 Colt caliber. I tested several different boolits in it but stopped cold when testing the Lyman 452664. WOW! Tightest groups I have ever received from a lever rifle of any make or caliber, and this with full power loads. This rifle and load combination will make it to the woods with me this year. Bambi - beware.

Boolit Master
    Like you have several molds that meet my needs and are proven performers, if they don't perform or otherwise are excess to my needs they go down the road. The 5 cavity NOE version of the 311291, 5 cavity NOE 246-105, and 6 cavity Lee 452-200 SWC I milled down to remove the bevel base are the ones I use now. Do have other 6 cavity Lee molds for pistol bullets but cast these for friends and family, otherwise they wouldn't be on the shelf.

All great choices , I would humbly add 1 more in the .45 acp arena the HG 130. In my guns, as accurate as an HG 68, but a little lighter. The 2 predominant .45 bulls eye bullets of their time.
    Flydad

Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”

― Leonardo da Vinci

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12