Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Hey .38 special reloader guys

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar

Hey .38 special reloader guys

I've got some boolits that were given to me for a 9MM pistol I no longer have and I'd like to use them up. They appear to have been cast with a Lyman #358242 mold near as I can tell. Lead round nose, weights from 121 to 124 (after lube/size, mostly 121) with the what appears to be wheel weight lead. They're not pure soft, but they're not Lyman #2 hard either. The diameter is appropriate for the groove diameters I have.

I've got a couple .357's and a scadmium .38 special snub I'd like to use these up in if I could, but I've have trouble finding a load for this boolit and the powders I have on hand.

I have a pound or so of W231 I'd like to use up if I could. Preferably I'd like to get rid of both the boolits and use up all the W231 if I load nothing else with W231 any more and I have new molds I'll be using the future.

I've got enough of these boolits to load probably 300 or so rounds and they're size/lubed, so I hate to melt them down and throw away the labor of the man who gave them to me.

Can someone advise on a load range for these boolits with the W231? I'd like something reasonably warm to simulate a .38 special +P for practice if I could, as that's what my wife carries.

Thank you,

Dave

Boolit Master

I shoot the Lee 121 TC over 4.2BE/4.9/231(the bushing on my Auto Champ throws those particular charges) and it is a very accurate load running right at 1000 fps out of my 6" K-38. I'm guessing velocities with your RN would be very similar although I can't speak to the accuracy as I've never used that bullet.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

You can use powder charge data for 125 grain boolits with those.

Boolit Mold
    Hodgdon site has .38spl. 3.8-4.8 w/125 cast
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

Sounds like something around 5 grains of 231 ought to be about right.

Banned

I shoot 4.1grs of 231 under a 125 gr rnfp in my 38 cases to shoot squirrels and make holes
    in paper.
    Its definitely not a plus p load it's more like a cowboy type poof load you can start there and move forward.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFloweryBranchGA View Post
    Sounds like something around 5 grains of 231 ought to be about right.
    Only if you're using them in your 357 because 5gr is 0.2 over the max published for .38 special (See Slenk's post or look it up on the Hodgdon website)
    I usually start working up a load at the bottom of the range, not the top.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't use that powder but I do use that boolit a lot - Lyman 358242 - mine drops around 123 gr. or so. I use them a lot in 38 Colt Long casings as well as 38 spl. when I don't want to use the 358311 RN. I have used them as well in 38 Colt Shot. I normally use Bulls Eye or Red Dot. I know that doesn't help you any with an answer as far as W231. I don't have my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook with me but check in there as they give a number of loads for that boolit.

Boolit Master

Lyman CB Handbook third ed. lists 5.1/231 as max std pressure and 5.4/231 as +P with 358242.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    Lyman CB Handbook third ed. lists 5.1/231 as max std pressure and 5.4/231 as +P with 358242.
    That's what I was needing to know, thank you. I have that book on .pdf, but finding things in it in .pdf form is NOT the same as having an actual book in your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    I don't use that powder but I do use that boolit a lot - Lyman 358242 - mine drops around 123 gr. or so. I use them a lot in 38 Colt Long casings as well as 38 spl. when I don't want to use the 358311 RN. I have used them as well in 38 Colt Shot. I normally use Bulls Eye or Red Dot. I know that doesn't help you any with an answer as far as W231. I don't have my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook with me but check in there as they give a number of loads for that boolit.
    Doesn't give me the load, but does tell me it works reasonably well in .38 special/.357, confirming I can use it to good effect. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I shoot 4.1grs of 231 under a 125 gr rnfp in my 38 cases to shoot squirrels and make holes
    in paper.
    Its definitely not a plus p load it's more like a cowboy type poof load you can start there and move forward.
    That's what I'll do if I end up having enough of them to load some for the .38 special. Most of these are going into a .357 magnum ss Ruger sp101.