RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wear gloves when cleaning deer and other game!

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well that info is kind of dishearten I have clean a lot of deer without gloves try to wear them now days mainly for clean up. when we process the meat we all wear gloves more to protect the meat from heck not sure what just makes me feel better. So I guess cooking the meat is the point where the danger stops? Also is it more if you have a cut get a cut during cleaning ? Or did I understand it right you can get it just by contact.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Well guys worm type parasites generally are species specific. Madsenhunter is correct to raise awareness, but some of his information is convoluted to say the least. Do your own research before getting fully gowned and gloved. Gloves yes, the rest no. The reason forensic pathologists gown and glove is due to the fact the pathogens are specific for humans. Good luck.
    lt

Boolit Buddy
    got to this link. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lymphat...iasis/epi.html the take away from this article is at present you cannot get filiarisis in the USA. Another link regarding heartworms-again species specific(canine). http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body..._parasite.html
    Onchecera species do indeed cause filiriasis, but in Africa, Latin America, and the middle East. http://eol.org/pages/2925032/overview.
    elaeophora schneideri is again species specific to ungulates and horses. http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/inte...ophorosis.html
    lt

Boolit Buddy
    I don't wear gloves. If I cut myself and get infected the same thing would happen if I got cut wearing gloves.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

I do not wear gloves when skin and gut a deer but do it when skinning fur bearing that I trap because i know that they carry more then other animals that you will come in contact with .In the past i use to wear gloves to skin skunks .But now on all fur animals I trap.I know will need to do it with deer now for what is all going around.There is still some things you can get even if you wear gloves and who knows what that is the mange.I know I got it from skin a coyote that did not look like it had it and found out later.I got rid of it myself but you never know.Oh by the way those do not know what the mange is it is a mite that bores under the skin.Just like scabies it is a mite and treat it the same way.I got that when I had a total hip replacement they sent me a letter that someone on the staff had it and past it around.I got rid of it the same way I got rid of the mange.gloves will help on some things but not all.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

I think I will stay inside the house and dissenfect everything....way too many things outside that will kill you . Scares me to think of all the germs, viruses , pathogens, ebola, west nile viruses and things I have no control of.

Boolit Master

When you DO NOT WANT TO GET CUT wear Glaziers gloves. Rubber with Kevlar. Wear the nitrile under.

When you are helping me gut and skin You need them. I ask my family the Wes Studi (LOT Mohicans) question has my blade tasted your blood and it totally pisses them off.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Well I am not freaking out over the glove thing like it may seem just getting others thoughts on it for the most part. My main reason for asking is some of the kids of the family that gut clean and process deer at my house are not aware of the risk they may be taking. For myself I am aware for the most part but what I tell the kids if for their protection and it would be just wrong not to mentor in a positive way. Thanks for all the links and comments.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Don't forget Brucellosis in elk in the Greater Yellowstone Area. Also feral swine carry Brucellosis.
    Brucellosis in humans is called undulant fever. There is no cure.
    Northern deer can be infected with Tuberculosis. TB is most commonly seen in enlarged lymph nodes. So cook your wild game to at least 165 degrees.

I have cleaned hundreds of deer/hogs over the last 35 years without wearing any gloves, until about 5 years ago.

5 years ago:

Me, my wife and kids were headed home and were almost hit by a drunk driver. Then we saw him hit a car in front of us knocking that car into the ditch and the drunk driver sped off. We stopped to check on the other guy and he said he was OK and to get the catch the other guy. My wife called 911 as I came up behind the drunk and gave them his tag #. It was dark and the drunk went into the oncoming lane so I started braking. He hit another car head-on with a family of 5 in it. The impact ejected the drunk through the windshield and down the middle of the road. The family car was "balled up" and ended up in the ditch. I jumped out and ran towards the family car when I saw the drunk get up and start limping/running off. Without really thinking, I punched the drunk in the back somewhere and he went back down and stayed. Several people came out of the nearby business and started helping out. There were 3 nurses traveling in another car that stopped and helped a great deal. The family was hurt very bad and they landed a chopper at the scene to transport one of them and ambulances to transport the rest.

After everything settled down, the highway patrol was discussing with me the drunk's claim that I beat him up after the accident. That is when one of the nurses came to us and asked me if I did hit him, and did I get any of his blood on me. She told me she was a local nurse and she medically knew the drunk from prior visits to the ER. She said he was positive Hep "C".

Ironically, I somehow didn't get any blood on me, but was very concerned because I am type-1 diabetic and I prick finger 4-5 times per day to test my blood sugar. That got me to thinking about my other exposures to animals and how I already have tiny holes in my fingers for little tiny things to crawl inside of my blood stream. I have already been treated for lyme disease twice due to many tick bites.

I went to Harbor Freight and purchased several boxes of the 9-mil nitrile gloves. They are the black ones that are very heavy and commonly used by mechanics. I carry a box of these in every vehicle I own. I use them any time I skin or butcher an animal and they are available to me should I need them at another accident. I already have a serious medical condition and don't want to add any more complications to that.

I agree that if I cut myself, its going to be through the glove and I will still be exposed. There are times that I have to grip something really hard (like pliers) and when I do, tiny drops of blood show up on my finger tips because that pressure opened them back up. Think about how often you already have scratches, a torn cuticle, or some other opening on your hand.

There is a lot of exposure these days, finger pricks and well as other pricks, so wear gloves!

Be careful.

Boolit Master
    Using gloves or exorcising any other easy, simple and practical practice that may decrease your risk or exposure to injury or disease is a no-brainer. I won't go to unreasonable lengths to avoid risk, but if there's some easy and inexpensive precaution you can take to avoid a trip to the doctor or worse yet, a one way trip to the marble orchard, your a sap not to take it.

Had a friend die from Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever back in 1973; contracted from a tick bite. I've been on too many hunts, hikes and horseback rides since then to count. Had numerous flea and tick bites, but always take whatever precautions that are reasonable and practical.

You owe it to your wife, children, grandchildren and parents (if still with you) to stay healthy and safe to as great a degree as is possible and practical.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

It's rather naive to think that these filarial worms, which are on other every other continent, aren't here in the US in some form too. I realize one can quickly read that they're not supposed to be, but they are. And, I imagine a lot of people who have them go untreated, like the other two local hunters I know that display symptoms. One can call my reasoning convoluted if they wish, all I know is I'm taking chemicals that kill the microfilaria, and the adults, and it's working! I can't say exactly what species I have, thanks to NIH testing, we know it isn't Wuchereria Bancrofti, but what it ain't is all we know. There are times I am sorely tempted to cut open the lymphatic ducts of my hands to find out just what's in there! So, research has shown me, yes they are here, and yes they dwell in something that I have had my hands in, and yes, I have some of the symptoms they can cause, same symptoms as the deer/elk, whatever. Just ran across experimental infection of mice with these vermin. The immune system of some mice kills them in time, in immune deficient mice they thrive. So before you start telling me I'm full of something other than worms luvtn, dig deeper into research that's been done. Things like this are headed north. The chikungunya virus you all have there in TN now is a good example. But these filarial worms have been here all along, like I said as far north as Alaska! Guess I just wasn't immune to them, I have an idea why I'm not, but I'm not going there right now. By the way, the microfilare of some of the species are only .009 long and a lot less in diameter. Get out the magnifying glass!
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 03-25-2015 at 06:12 PM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

I live in north-eastern Australia and in all the years I have hunted here and on hunts in New Zealand & MT, USA, I have never worn gloves when butchering and skinning game. However, I never eat the wild pigs I cull or wild scrub cattle either. I do eat the venison of red, fallow and sambar deer, it is a favourite. I have seen too many flesh and gut worms in wild pigs to know better. Good advice there madsenshooter.
    Gondwana

Never give up, no obstacle is invincible, there is always a way.

Boolit Buddy
    Luvtn mentioned Leptosposis (sp?), well I have it. picked it up in the University of SouthEast Asia. it is very similar to Malaria but not the same by a long shot. My doctor can't figure out why I don't have more often attacks and sever symptoms. well, I guess I have a damn good immune system, that plus the Good Lord takes care of me. they say the same thing about my type2diabetes (diet and excersize) and why I am doing so well after pancriatic cancer surgury. probably a good immune system and definitly my Lord and Savior Christ Jesus. Also I had ungulant fever when I was 5 years old and no I don't have it anymore. the advice on taking precausions is valid and common sense--take heed. It doesn't take a lot of effort. God Bless to all and theirs.

Goofy

P.S. now you know why I use the wet cat in the towel as an avatar. does the cat lool P.O.ed
    Last edited by goofyoldfart; 03-24-2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: ETA to add another thought
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

SE Asia is good place to pic up worms too. And our Drs. don't know squat about them. Their presence can initiate cancer, I was reading the other day. Just heard from my Dr. She had a couple come in that had been to the Caribbean, on islands with a deer population that is more likely to carry them then those here in Ohio. All it takes is a skeeter or fly bite, and you gots em! The woman was a former microbiologist. Their Cinci Drs decided the both of them were delusional. Drs. do that, you don't go along with them, then you're delusional. That stinks, because in reality, they're only guessing about what might be wrong with you. Now they're going to try Cleveland, where I figure they'll get more of the same.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

I just wanted to show you folks, I'm not delusional, and I don't have things mixed up, like some have insinuated. Yesterday, I took diethylcarbamazine, looking for a reaction that happens if you have microfilaria. Here's a couple pics of the reaction, thankfully I don't have near as many microfilaria as I once had. More of them, the bigger the reaction, sometimes a big enough reaction to kill you! You can do a google image search of river blindness, kinda looks the same doesn't it. Well, I haven't been to any tropical place. I cut myself a couple times while skinning Ohio deer, and like the immune compromised mice above, they can live in me! I'm immune compromised for one of two reasons, perhaps both. First, I remember mom pulling ticks off me when I was less than 5, and at 5, I was given the SV40 contaminated Salk polio vaccine (anyone 57 or older likely was). But here's the bottom line, don't believe everything you quickly read to be an absolute. From the Caribbean to the subartic, they're here, they been here all along! The adults are hard to kill and can live in you 15yrs putting out these little babies as mosquito and fly bait. You'd never know it, just a puffiness to the face, hands and other places exposed for the next carrier to pic them up and fly them to a new home.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails myeye 005.JPG   myeye 007.JPG  
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 03-25-2015 at 02:53 PM.

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    I don't wear gloves. If I cut myself and get infected the same thing would happen if I got cut wearing gloves.
    I would worry about previous open wounds not the cut through the glove.

Why do you think Emergency personnel wear them. A simple hangnail or any small invisible wound through the dermis will let you get infected.

Think about it

I'd go with light chain mail under rubber! Forgive me, the reaction isn't just in my eye, it likely goes into the meninges, and I'm in a weird mood. Last time I take that stuff, I had to get it through a vet supply in Australia, it's available here online only if you have a prescription from a Dr or Vet.

GOF, did you mean undulant fever? If so, that's now known as brucellosis. Had that too! Drenching nightsweats. At that time I had a GF that was a horsewoman who was always complaining that the neighbor's cows had brucellosis and was causing her mare to miscarry. Know what, she did too!
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 03-25-2015 at 06:24 PM.

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I buy the long sleeved vet plastic gloves with a latex or nitrile glove over it to give a good grip on my knife and have been doing it that way for 14 years. I was a bare hand guy before

Boolit Buddy
    Madsenshooter: yep that is what I meant, just having one of those days that I can't spell God Bless to you and yours.

Goofy
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast