Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here I am being a real MAN.

Here I am being a real MAN.

Last edited by southpaw; 02-15-2015 at 12:18 PM.

OK. So I thought momma included me in the pic. We are in the basement drawing on the floor with chalk. Of course this is after she had to see the deer heads. It was a game. I would take the two deers heads off the wall and put them on the floor and she would play with them. Then I would have to hang them back up. We would draw on the floor for a little bit then go back to the deer heads, put them on the floor so she could "pet" them, them hang them back up and go draw on the floor some more. Repeat this several times and here I am.

I wish they would listen to me and STOP GROWING. This is my baby and she is growing TOO FAST!!!
    Next thing you know she will be "dragging" me out in the swamp going for hikes looking for stuff. (With her brother and sister no doubt).

Jerry Jr. (wishing I had a pause button).

Ps. Sorry it is so late but I had to have momma send me the pic and then figure how to post it.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master
    Sidewalk chalk is fun.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Enjoy it while it lasts. Soon enough they'll wanna plaster their faces into cell phones and tablets!

Honestly never thought about sidewalk chaulk in the house! May do some decorating around here next time we are stuck in!
    “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Bored1 View Post
    Enjoy it while it lasts. Soon enough they'll wanna plaster their faces into cell phones and tablets!

Honestly never thought about sidewalk chaulk in the house! May do some decorating around here next time we are stuck in!
    Chalk is great! it wipes away in a matter of seconds! It is the sharpies that I have to keep hidden. No matter what they do I can always cover it up, when they are grown and moved out. So far I am enjoying it. Cann't say I like working 12 hours, but it sure is great when you come home and are greeted with a bunch of hugs!

Jerry Jr.
    You can't buy experience, but you'll pay for it.

.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer. ~ My Dad.

NRA LIFE MEMBER Upgraded to Endowment Member 5-23-14

Boolit Master

That is you being a real man! When my daughter was little we played Barbie's every night before I left for my night job, knew what dress went with which. She's my hunting buddy now, best fishing buddy next sat is the daddy daughter dance, she will be all dressed up in preals and Sunday morning go to Check trapswith me . they do.grow.to.fast. she will compare every man she ever meets to you; I think you are doing great!

Boolit Master

Mine are grown now.I have a 3 year old granddaughter,so I get to play again.Attachment 130838
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

Enjoy them while you can! My Daughter is 42 now and when she was at that age I was too busy driving an 18 wheeler keepin us fed to get to watch her that way. I AM NOT missing all that with my Grandson! He's my my best shootin, just hangin around and fishin buddy! I envy youall.

Boolit Buddy
    I loved buying my nieces sidewalk chalk. However that might have been more to annoy my sister than anything else. I closed in my carport and my nephew( sisters husbands son) came over and watched me and helped me a little. Bro in law came over and thanked me for letting him hang out with me. I in general don't like kids. Never wanted any, still don't. So they know I don't have a lot of patience. However he is 12 now and willing to learn. Told him I don't mind teaching someone that is willing to listen. I learned a ton from my father just by being there when he was building stuff and now use that knowledge quite a bit. Long winded way off saying even if you don't have or like kids try to find someone to pass on your knowledge to. The time you spend with them now may save their life or give them the skills to feed their family in the future.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do. metalworker, woodworker, mechanic, restorer and 200.00 stamp collector

Quote Originally Posted by Bored1 View Post
    Teach them right and they won't feel the need to.
    Parents need to be PARENTS and not rely on electronic babysitters.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Be sure to enjoy them when they're little but, it's not all that bad that they grow up because you may get grandchildren. This year I got to take two of my granddaughters ages 13 and 16 elk hunting and the 16 year old got a spike. That will make you swell up and pop the buttons off your shirt. Of course now I worry about all the boys wanting hang around them.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up

Oh how they grow up so fast! I remember your posting the birth of that cutie here on the forum. Time cannot be reversed- thanks for sharing.

Boolit Buddy
    I tell you I'm not happy with a lot of ways the world has "evolved" in the last 50 years (I'm 56), but one thing I'm tickled about is the new-found acceptance of us men being able to show tenderness, emotions, open affection and to be openly loving and caring fathers and male role models to our young. So many fathers of kids I grew up with were stoic, quiet and resisted showing any "girly" traits. My children and I are very very close. I believe it's in part because I was raised to buck tradition and let my tender and nurturing side show. Maybe my closeness with my kids was in part because I was, as was their mother, a Registered Nurse used to freely discussing with them any and everything physical, emotional or otherwise. Oddly and for reasons unknown to me, my adult daughter last fall casually remarked during a visit to Penny's and my home that she sometimes wishes that I myself had had "the talk" with her as she entered physical maturity. I didn't pursue the remark, but took it as a compliment about the way I related to her as I helped raise her. I was inwardly grateful for the kind statement. She herself has chosen a man in her life people say is similar to me in his behavior. I hope that's a good thing but that he doesn't have the faults I know I do possess.
    To young men here currently fathers, contemplating fatherhood, or in a position to be a "real man" to a child please take into consideration the thoughts of this old man. Children need their fathers to hold them when they cry, kiss them when they hurt, laugh with them when they are joyful and in every way share their life and emotions. They need and want to hear "I love you so very much" no matter their age. Happily, Man Cards are now routinely issued to nurturing openly attentive males daily. Don.
    Last edited by Tallbald; 02-16-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Ah me. I spent a couple of golden years being Mr. mom back in the 80s and I can say that I would not trade those years for anything. My daughter and I are still extremely close. One of life's very best gifts if only you can open up and enjoy it while it lasts.

Moderator Emeritus

I still tell my kids I love them every chance I get. I text my daughter who lives in Philly every nite telling her I love her and miss her. Gave them hugs and kisses every morning and every night telling them I love them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    Teach them right and they won't feel the need to.
    Parents need to be PARENTS and not rely on electronic babysitters.

Agreed! This is the downfall of our young.

Larry

My oldest daughter is now in her thirties, and has a baby of her own. She told me that one of her fondest memories of childhood was molding bullets with me. I used to use my stepfather's garage, so we would visit grandma, at the same time. Time flies.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Going back to the sidewalk chalk, I found some and use it to write a love note to my wife on the garage floor in front of door leading into the house when I know she is going out. She in turn writes one back to me.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Buddy
    I just wrote an I Love You note for my wife in a snowbank.

Wasn't using chalk though!
    CARPE DIEM!.......

Boolit Master

southpaw that is what being a real man is all about. I so enjoyed each phase if our two boys lives. They are out on their own and are grown men and good dads now. The oldest grandson is almost 17 and grew to be a giant among us short folks at about 6'1" and out granddaughter is cute as a button and almost 11. I do wish for the closeness we once had with all of them. It seems to happen that as they grow up to a certain point they no longer have the amount of time for us they used to have. Lord willing that Mam and Pap (thats us) live enough longer they will be back. Meanwhile you enjoy every minute you can with them while you have them close at hand.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."