RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Making Ben's Red

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    OK, here's a question - Did anyone have any problems with accuracy declining when switching from Alox-based lube to Ben's Red? I'm loading for a .375 Winchester;

W-W cases
    W-W LR primers
    10.0 gr. Unique
    Lee .380-255 plain base boolit, .380" diameter as dropped from mold
    Alloy is 94-3-3
    Average velocity = 1297 fps
    Marlin Model 375 w/ microgroove rifling, slugs at .377"

When I lubed with Lee liquid Alox thinned with mineral spirits (2 coats) I was getting 1-1/2" groups @ 50 yds. When I lubed with Ben's Red group size shot up to 3-5"! Has anyone had this happen to them?

I am careful to clean the bore before switching lubes, even from a cold, clean barrel the Alox-lubed boolits shoot 1-1/2". I shot four 5 shot groups yesterday lubed with Brn's Red and groups opened up start6ing at 3" on target 1 and increasing to 5" on target 4. Can anyone offer some insight here?
    Same projectiles, or did you switch from a micro groove to a conventional grease groove boolit?

Boolit Master

No, GG boolits, Micro-groove barrel on the rifle.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Ben's Red is a very soft and slick lube, so it's possible it may not shoot the exact load you were using with alox.
    If your not at some maximum load, maybe tweaking the powder charge up or down a bit May work.

Boolit Master

I'm surprised that a load that shot so well would change so much by changing lubes. But, what do I know, I've been using alox lubes (NRA 50-50 and tumble lube) for forty years, this is the first time I've used anything else. Deer season is two weeks away, so any load tinkering will have to wait until the first of the year. Thank you all for your input, I'll make some changes and post my results.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Centershot,

I don't know that it will. All i can say is that Ben's Red shoots tighter groups with the same loads than any lube i've ever tried in my rifles....even when i worked those loads up with another lube.
    I also like the way my first shots are always in the group no matter if it's a clean or fouled bore.

As far as tumble lubing with straight alox, it always purged badly every 5 to 7 shots with me.
    Then i tried Ben's BLL tumble lube and it has worked as well as the Ben's Red lube for me and surprisingly(to me) with the same loads.
    Both of Ben's lubes have worked for a ton of other folks i've recomended it for too.

NRA 50/50 is a very good lube, but didn't work out as well over all the temp. ranges, nor higher velocities that i shoot sometimes in my rifles.

Bottom line is that some bbls. vary in what they like and if yours likes what your using i would stick with it for sure.

Good luck with your hunting...hope you get a freezer full(and me too lol)

Hope you get the Ben's Red working for you, i believe in it 100%.

Boolit Man

Take your cooling pan of Ben's lube, turn off the freezer or refrigerator, and set the pan on the shelf. In about 10 minutes you will have cold lube and a defrosted frig or freezer.

Moderator Emeritus

what a great thread
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Johnson's paste wax is no more. Substitutions for it???

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post

Shiloh
    I don't think anyone has experimented with this yet?
    TreWax and MinWax, both have a natural paste wax product for wood, that are similar to JPW and are available at the hardware store ...and have been discussed here.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I think the carnuba wax is what is needed. I’m thinking any of the wood paste waxes will work as long as they are carnuba based.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master

Shiloh
    i have a can of this. i do not remember if i bought it or if my dad bought it and i wound up inheriting it.

Boolit Master

Shiloh
    So. . .the JPW for both Ben's Red and 45/45/10 is now gone. And the Johnson's liquid for BLL is gone. What the all-encompassing actual ****?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    When making Ben's Red, I've substituted this.
    So far, I cannot tell any difference in this and the Johnson's Paste wax.

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    I made a batch with Min Wax, works fine, first batch so nothing to compare it to.

Boolit Grand Master
    If it shoots well and meets your needs , you don't have to compare it to anything.

Ben

Boolit Master
    SDS / MSDS sheets are not required to disclose all ingredients, only those related to safety matters. The Trewax SDS sheet doesn’t give anything helpful, but the JPW SDS does. The proportions can add up to 100%, but I wouldn’t take that as a guarantee that there are no undisclosed ingredients. Without further ado…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7410.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	320752

Boolit Master
    Two possible DIY JPW recipes…
    …two recipes in an old "Woodworkers Pocket Book" by Charles H Hayward for making furniture creams.
    In both 6 parts carnauba wax, 3½ parts japan wax and 1½ parts paraffin wax are melted together.
    In one that is then dissolved in about the same quantity of pure American turpentine to form a paste which is stirred well and to which is added a little french chalk and ammonia.
    In the second recipe it is dissolved in 12 parts of pure American turpentine. 3 parts of white curd soap are shredded into 30 parts hot water. The two are then stirred together while hot and allowed to cool. This cleans as well as polishes.
    https://forums.ybw.com/threads/what-...lve-in.121209/
    Looking in a few places, it seems melting Carnauba wax into other waxes helps to get it dissolved into acetone/turpentine/mineral spirits. Sometimes you have to gently warm up the solvent… which you probably don’t want to inhale.
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    SDS / MSDS sheets are not required to disclose all ingredients, only those related to safety matters. The Trewax SDS sheet doesn’t give anything helpful, but the JPW SDS does. The proportions can add up to 100%, but I wouldn’t take that as a guarantee that there are no undisclosed ingredients. Without further ado…

Name:	IMG_7410.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	320752
    is the sds/msds required to provide info/warnings for possible allergic reactions?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    is the sds/msds required to provide info/warnings for possible allergic reactions?
    I’ve never seen that info in an SDS. I don’t know how items are chosen for required reporting in an SDS, but if it’s not on the NFPA diamond then it’s probably not required.

Name:	IMG_7412.gif 
Views:	48 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	320795

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456