Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Making Ben's Red

Boolit Buddy
    The usual is with simple green.
    That's why I asked for tips from guys using red for pan.
    I'll get it figured out I'm searching everything.

Boolit Mold
    I am about to make my first batch, but have a question. I have a Star lube/sizer and need to make moulds. I am guessing they will be 1"x5". I am not good with volume so what is your guess on how many to make? Should I make 4 or 5 and reuse after they cool while keeping the mixture warm? Or make a dozen or more? This is a fantastic thread and really appreciate all of the info.

Boolit Grand Master
    Melt and pour, works so much better !

https://youtu.be/GQ5n68SrrUo

I did this and it works very well.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...lds-my-version

I store my sticks in a ziplock bag in the freezer of a small fridge in the basement.

In Remembrance

It doesn`t seem possible that I have made 3 batchs so far. Wait, I forgot to mention about my `caster` friends that helped me from having more than 1 luber full of it. The 3rd batch is sealed in zip-lock bags and hidden from view. I made all my batches in my casting barn to keep my Frau from finding a reason to dent a fry pan on my old skull! There is only a faint odor that is not over powering to the nose on my last batch. I have used the lube mostly in my 45 LC Rugers with excellent results in accuracy and the nice bore afterwards.Robert

Made my first batch of Bens red today. I forgot the Johnsons paste wax on the first go around. Poured it in some ingot molds and let it cool before I spied the Johnsons on the bench. Remelt and add johnsons and repeat. Cleaned the old lube(SPG) out of Lyman 450 and will melt some, pour in the sizer and size and lube some 429421 bullets cast from # 2 alloy tomorrow. The SPG was fine just want see if the red will help accuracy a little. I have been shooting these bullets in a Dan Wesson .44 mag at 55 yards. Been getting 3 in 2 inches and 2 together about 2" away from the other 3. I am gonna test tomorrow and will post results.
    Elmo
    Last edited by Elmo; 06-07-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    All times wasted wots not spent shootin!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Ed's Red is a bore solvent.
    Is that what you made ?

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9
    Nope just had a brain fart! I should have posted Bens Red. I have Eds Red that I made for black powder barrel wiping between shots though.

Boolit Grand Master
    OK

Good deal !

Ben

I did a bit better this morning. Loaded 15 rounds for the Dan Wesson 44 mag sized 429 with Bens Red lube. Shooting at chicken silhouette at 55 yards. Got 4 in 3" with a low,right flyer. Probably me, I need new glasses which I will get tomorrow. 429421 cast from # 2 alloy, 21.5 gr h110, Federal magnum large pistol primers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1416.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	197186

Boolit Master
    Ok guys I've been putting together al the ingredients to make my first batch of bens red and I had my son order me some beeswax from amazon. Do to a little miscommunication he only ordered me 1 pound. My question is does 1pound block of beeswax =24 oz of melted beeswax? Or do I need to get some more. I know 16oz = 1 lb but I also know dry and liquid measure's are not the same and I also that when stuff is heated from a solid to a liquid it expands. I just don't have any experience with beeswax. I've been putting together supplies as funds allow. Hot plate, a pot, pans, and the ingredients. I should have the everything Monday or Tuesday. I'd hate to be ready to make my first batch only to find out I'm 8oz short on beeswax. Kinda like all dressed up with no place to go if you know what I mean. I'm hoping someone who's made bens red before (like maybe Ben himself maybe ha ha )can help me out with an answer. I know it might not seem like a big deal but I've looked locally and the only place I can seem to find it is in a craft store or a health store and they only had cosmetic grade and they wanted almost $20.00 for a pound you can get it on amazon for $9. And some change so if I'm going to need more I would like to get it ordered.
    As usual all you folks on this forum are great! Thank you so much for all the great advice
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

Horrors!!! I ran out of NRA 50-50 lube last Sunday!!!Luckily I had accumulated the ingredients foe Ben's Red, so, today I made my first batch. It seemed to me that it would be easier to mix the liquid ingredients first, then add the Lucas #2. Seemed to work, with the hotplate on LOW the mix was hovering right around the melt point of the wax. Added the grease and stirred......and stirred....... and stirred.....about twenty minutes later it was all mixed in. I think. My lube has teeny little dark red spots all mixed through it. I kept stirring but they didn't get any smaller. Is this OK?
    Last edited by centershot; 08-16-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

I pre softened my wax and got good mixing, no discolored spots.

Boolit Master

Well, I figure it was grease that didn't quite dissolve, so I re-nelted it and bumped he heat just a little over the "LOW" mark. All is good, it's cooling in the pans now, can't wait to use it!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Yup, Lucas red is fairly stable till you exceeds its heat range

Boolit Mold
    Question from a newb. Is Lucas Red & Tacky #2 the same as, or can it be substituted for, Lucas Red & Tacky? Stopped at my local Wally and that was all they had. It says it has a temperature rating of 545 degrees, I believe. Thanks.

Boolit Master

#2 is the NLGI 'weight' rating

Boolit Master

OK, here's a question - Did anyone have any problems with accuracy declining when switching from Alox-based lube to Ben's Red? I'm loading for a .375 Winchester;

W-W cases
    W-W LR primers
    10.0 gr. Unique
    Lee .380-255 plain base boolit, .380" diameter as dropped from mold
    Alloy is 94-3-3
    Average velocity = 1297 fps
    Marlin Model 375 w/ microgroove rifling, slugs at .377"

When I lubed with Lee liquid Alox thinned with mineral spirits (2 coats) I was getting 1-1/2" groups @ 50 yds. When I lubed with Ben's Red group size shot up to 3-5"! Has anyone had this happen to them?

I am careful to clean the bore before switching lubes, even from a cold, clean barrel the Alox-lubed boolits shoot 1-1/2". I shot four 5 shot groups yesterday lubed with Brn's Red and groups opened up start6ing at 3" on target 1 and increasing to 5" on target 4. Can anyone offer some insight here?

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    Some of these are hard, this one is easy.
    Go back to your lube you were using to shoot the 1.5 " groups, problem solved.

You probably had way too much Ben's Red on your bullets. The lube grooves on your particular Lee bullet can carry a lot of lube. It is amazing just how small of an amount of Ben's Red is needed for accurate clean shooting.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 10-26-2017 at 09:06 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Some of these are hard, this one is easy.
    Go back to your lube you were using to shoot the 1.5 " groups.

Ben
    LOL! Well, yes Ben, I've done that. I wasn't expecting any problems by switching to Ben's Red, this caught me by surprise, to say the least! Can you offer any insight as to why this happened? This lube has been well-received and is used successfully by many people. This load seems to be well within it's capabilities; is the MG rifling a problem?

unknown

Boolit Grand Master
    Did you see this in post 98, it is the only insight I can offer ?

You probably had way too much Ben's Red on your bullets. The lube grooves on your particular Lee bullet can carry a lot of lube. It is amazing just how small of an amount of Ben's Red is needed for accurate clean shooting.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast