RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingStainLess Steel Media
Inline FabricationGraf & SonsADvertise here

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Making Ben's Red

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    OK, here's a question - Did anyone have any problems with accuracy declining when switching from Alox-based lube to Ben's Red? I'm loading for a .375 Winchester;

W-W cases
    W-W LR primers
    10.0 gr. Unique
    Lee .380-255 plain base boolit, .380" diameter as dropped from mold
    Alloy is 94-3-3
    Average velocity = 1297 fps
    Marlin Model 375 w/ microgroove rifling, slugs at .377"

When I lubed with Lee liquid Alox thinned with mineral spirits (2 coats) I was getting 1-1/2" groups @ 50 yds. When I lubed with Ben's Red group size shot up to 3-5"! Has anyone had this happen to them?

I am careful to clean the bore before switching lubes, even from a cold, clean barrel the Alox-lubed boolits shoot 1-1/2". I shot four 5 shot groups yesterday lubed with Brn's Red and groups opened up start6ing at 3" on target 1 and increasing to 5" on target 4. Can anyone offer some insight here?
    Same projectiles, or did you switch from a micro groove to a conventional grease groove boolit?

Boolit Master
    No, GG boolits, Micro-groove barrel on the rifle.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity.......and I'm not sure about the universe..........."

Albert Einstein

Ben's Red is a very soft and slick lube, so it's possible it may not shoot the exact load you were using with alox.
    If your not at some maximum load, maybe tweaking the powder charge up or down a bit May work.

Boolit Master
    I'm surprised that a load that shot so well would change so much by changing lubes. But, what do I know, I've been using alox lubes (NRA 50-50 and tumble lube) for forty years, this is the first time I've used anything else. Deer season is two weeks away, so any load tinkering will have to wait until the first of the year. Thank you all for your input, I'll make some changes and post my results.
    "Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity.......and I'm not sure about the universe..........."

Albert Einstein

Centershot,

I don't know that it will. All i can say is that Ben's Red shoots tighter groups with the same loads than any lube i've ever tried in my rifles....even when i worked those loads up with another lube.
    I also like the way my first shots are always in the group no matter if it's a clean or fouled bore.

As far as tumble lubing with straight alox, it always purged badly every 5 to 7 shots with me.
    Then i tried Ben's BLL tumble lube and it has worked as well as the Ben's Red lube for me and surprisingly(to me) with the same loads.
    Both of Ben's lubes have worked for a ton of other folks i've recomended it for too.

NRA 50/50 is a very good lube, but didn't work out as well over all the temp. ranges, nor higher velocities that i shoot sometimes in my rifles.

Bottom line is that some bbls. vary in what they like and if yours likes what your using i would stick with it for sure.

Good luck with your hunting...hope you get a freezer full(and me too lol)

Hope you get the Ben's Red working for you, i believe in it 100%.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456