Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Homemade pan loop

Boolit Man

Homemade pan lube

I have read through the stickies. There is a dizzying amount of information. I have the ingredients of beeswax Vaseline and the s. T. P. Can anybody give me the correct amount or ratio? Put this all together to make a decent Pan lube for handgun bullets.
    Thanks
    Last edited by jtwodogs; 12-05-2023 at 08:53 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Personally, I'd skip using STP, I don't think it adds anything, but that's up to you.
    I'd also add some paraffin wax to the mix.
    50% petrolatum (generic Vaseline with no extra ingredients)
    40% Beeswax
    10% paraffin wax

If you want to add some oil, maybe 2 or 3% Castor oil.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

A friend a couple of farms over from me is a bee keeper. He gives me his bees wax his wife doesn't use for making candles. It is sometimes a little discolored but works great! I use one stick of mollydisulfide grease, one stick of Johnson's Industrial stick wax(any industrial wax for sawing aluminum) and an equal third of beeswax. Works great as a pan lube and also in my Lyman sizers and my Star(Magma) sizers. I lube plenty of cast boolits. Have a pair of hungry Gatling Guns that see 1500 to 2000 rds per year. Plus hollow base Civil War minie boolits, and an assortment of pistol bullets. Have an M1A1 Thompson that goes through the 45 ACP boolits too. Have never had a leading problem. Most of my cast boolits are traveling at less than 1500 fps.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Personally, I'd skip using STP, I don't think it adds anything, but that's up to you.
    40% Beeswax
    10% paraffin wax

Try this first !
    The Paraffin wax helps to make the lube work as a "pan lube " , Gulf Wax is a great hard paraffin wax ... use it . Candles and crayons may not give you the hardness you need for a pan lube ... just buy some Gulf Wax ... in canning supplies at wally mart .

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    40% Beeswax
    10% paraffin wax

Regarding the above mixture, if One is using the pan lube for black powder cartridge, I would recommend substituting anhydrous lanolin for the petrolatum (Vaseline). I have had good luck with both mixes.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by challenger_i View Post
    Regarding the above mixture, if One is using the pan lube for black powder cartridge, I would recommend substituting anhydrous lanolin for the petrolatum (Vaseline). I have had good luck with both mixes.
    I'm not an avid BP shooter, but a priori, I think that's a great suggestion.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

[QUOTE=jtwodogs;5654485]I have read through the stickies. There is a dizzying amount of information. I have the ingredients of beeswax Vaseline and the s. T. P. Can anybody give me the correct amount or ratio? Put this all together to make a decent Pan lube for handgun bullets.
    Thanks[/QUOTE

2 parts beeswax
    2 parts paraffin
    1 part stp