WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: I'd like to run my first anneal attempt by you

Boolit Buddy

I'd like to run my first anneal attempt by you

So I've read the annealing brass article by Ken Howell a couple times, I got the 650 and 475 tempil stick crayons. I got my propane torch set up in my metal sink basin of good water, I used books to get my cordless drill to set in with my brass 3/4" from tip of the blue torch flame. I marked with the 650 3/8" below shoulder. I ran the drill at 2-3 revs per second(guessing) put my 30-06 brass in a socket holder and into the fire. The tempilaq melted at 9 sec 5 times in a row, that seem about right? It would produce the blue anneal marks 1/2" below shoulder junction. I had always heard about being careful not to heat the base to much so I sacrificed a few to see how long to melt the 475 degree down 1/2 from base, it took 20 seconds and the neck had turned bright red at about 13 seconds All this seem to be correctly done on my part? A couple of them have a second anneal blue ring at end of case neck, I think maybe got neck to hot ???? Any experienced advice is appreciated.

Boolit Bub
    9 sec sounds about right. I've had similar results with the tempilaq that I use (I think it's 750). You don't need to do water for 30-06; I would for small cases like 25-20.

Having the crayons takes all the mystery out of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Keep the water, and brass should be quenched to prevent crystal structure enlarging and increasing bitterness. Flame temps vary, go by color, light pink, NOT bright red.