Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Anybody make a hollow point .308-.311ish mould, 120 to 150 grains?

Anybody make a hollow point .308-.311ish mould, 120 to 150 grains?

Hi all!

Just like the title says.

About this time last year, I sold off my 4 Lyman 4 banger moulds.

I haven't replaced them yet. It was about this time last year that I first learned about powder coating boolits.

So that is why I am hankering for HP moulds...hoping to make getting the boolits coated evenly on their trays.

My Harbor Freight powder gun is still in the box.

I don't feel like waiting 6 months to a year for one of the MiHec's group buys.

Boolit Master
    NOE makes a couple of them in the 150-170'ish grain range. Look over around page 4-5 on his .311-.314 molds.

Have you checked with Mihec to see if he had any from the latest GB's still sitting around?

The one I got is a cute little thing which runs around a 125'ish grain HP with the alloy I am using. He also did some of the "Safety Bullet" molds which throw out a 160'ish HP. Like mentioned the wait is terrible, but if you check with him he "might" have something still sitting there. I have shot the little ones out of my Ruger BH in 30 Carbine, and they are pretty devastating for such a little thing. I can hardly wait to put some out of my .308 and see how they do on critters up to around small hog size.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Grand Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-Cramer-Rerun

I got an over run from this buy. Nice bullet, awesome mould. With the HP pins in mine run 147gr.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...s-Cramer-Rerun

I got an over run from this buy. Nice bullet, awesome mould. With the HP pins in mine run 147gr.
    I have some from that mold cast, am going to size & lube them to try them out when I can shoot again. What gun(s) have you tried them in with what powder if you don't mind me asking. I've planned on trying them in my .300 Savage 99 or my .308, possibly in my 336 30-30.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't shot any yet. I have 20 loaded in 30-30 cases for my 336. I need to cast more so I can try some in the heavy 30 cal rifle. I want to see how they handle some speed
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by ballistim View Post
    I have some from that mold cast, am going to size & lube them to try them out when I can shoot again. What gun(s) have you tried them in with what powder if you don't mind me asking. I've planned on trying them in my .300 Savage 99 or my .308, possibly in my 336 30-30.
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    I haven't shot any yet. I have 20 loaded in 30-30 cases for my 336. I need to cast more so I can try some in the heavy 30 cal rifle. I want to see how they handle some speed
    This boolit with 50/50 WW/Pb water dropped in hollow point likes 2,100 for hunting varmints and somewhat larger varmints/game. Kills very well. I use it exclusively in a Ruger 308 Gunsite. 100 yard 3 shot groups run 5/8" to 3/4" for me (it's a hunting rifle, not a pure bench gun). Load is 23.1 gr. of SR 4759. I re-zeroed the rifle after falling on it while on ice a few weeks ago and tried it on the 257 yard gong in a gusting 20 mph wind..... it was cold to..... I got a 3.5" horizontal group, vertical was 1.5". If you want to go faster, cast it as a solid because at 2,500 fps, that HP will shred what it hits. I will eventually will try it in a 300 Savage and various 30-30s, but for now it is too much fun the way I'm using it.

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    This boolit with 50/50 WW/Pb water dropped in hollow point likes 2,100 for hunting varmints and somewhat larger varmints/game. Kills very well. I use it exclusively in a Ruger 308 Gunsite. 100 yard 3 shot groups run 5/8" to 3/4" for me (it's a hunting rifle, not a pure bench gun). Load is 23.1 gr. of SR 4759. I re-zeroed the rifle after falling on it while on ice a few weeks ago and tried it on the 257 yard gong in a gusting 20 mph wind..... it was cold to..... I got a 3.5" horizontal group, vertical was 1.5". If you want to go faster, cast it as a solid because at 2,500 fps, that HP will shred what it hits. I will eventually will try it in a 300 Savage and various 30-30s, but for now it is too much fun the way I'm using it.
    Sounds encouraging and I had considered it with the hollow point for the occasional coyote that I see from the window, also haven't cast any solids yet but will do that as well. I have plenty of SR 4759 on hand so will start there, and that velocity will work fine for what I intend to use it for. Cast up this one along with the MP 312-440 that you designed with the HP pins as well, have plans to try both in several guns. Thanks for the information and for being honcho on both these and all the other MiHec GB's.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    How about the NOE 155gr FN-GC RG/HP ? It casts a 145gr HP.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...fv4ro76ovq4r24

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Quote Originally Posted by DR Owl Creek View Post
    How about the NOE 155gr FN-GC RG/HP ? It casts a 145gr HP.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...fv4ro76ovq4r24

Dave
    Nice design from the looks of it, and I'm sure I'll be going against what many think, but I've done much better using the MP Cramer-style HP designs than the RG2 or RG4 designs, just personal preference on my part. I buy brass molds whenever possible which means I'll buy a MP brass mold when I want a HP design, and I'll buy either a MP or NOE in a solid brass mold, they are both excellent quality molds IMO and am thankful to own the ones I do.

Winston S. Churchill

Thanks for all the replies. It is for an AR chambered in 7.62X39. So that is why I am looking for a lighter weight boolit so it can be pushed more super sonically... if that makes sense. So maybe 2,000 fps.

If I lived in a suppressor friendly state I'd probably go with a heavy weight boolit, like what the .300 BlackOut guys are using for subsonics.

Oh yeah, maybe one of these days when I have the funds to spring for an AR10 in .308 or an M1A, that boolit mould might be able to double duty... maybe cast a "middle of the road" weight like 150 grains.

Boolit Grand Master

You might think about a Lyman 311410 then get Erik at Hollowpoint Molds to turn it into an HP mould. I got one of the Mihec 316410's for my .303's and am very impressed with the HP's and accuracy has been quite good.

Those should cast at around 130 grs. in solid so an HP would be a few grains lighter.

I know I like mine!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I just took delivery of a Mihec 311410 4 cav from a member here earlier this week. If you want a sample of some of the boolits to try out, I can get some out to you within the week, just need a chance to do some casting. I can send them raw so you can powdercoat, as well. When the weather gets less terrible around here I plan to do some comparison posts between PC'd and lubed lead, and I'm hoping other members will do the same.

I had really good luck with PC on the Lee 155 SKS boolit as well as the Mihec 311440. I had considerably less luck with anything smaller than .30 caliber (although 6.5 is hard for any cast shooter apparently, and that was my test case). My Mihec 180-SIL HP 3 cav might as well be a jword the way it acts powdercoated out of my .308s and 7.5s.

That said, even with all of the equipment and a dedicated oven, I find PC to be a hassle sometimes and I just lube size a lot of boolits, and TL many as well... I think they all have their place, but I digress!

Xacex had some interesting posts using the 311410 in .300 BLK. Much of that information should prove useful if you also plan this boolit to be for a 7.62x39. Personally I have yet to find anything to beat out the Lee 155 SKS boolit for that, but I'm sure the NOE mold puts up a good showing. I nearly bought the HP'd 155... Might still.

Boolit Master
    I have a Lyman 311033 mold (the factory HP version of the 32/20 standard 311008) that weighs just at 100 grains, a bit lighter than you wanted. In spite of the blunt nose it feeds well in a US M-1 carbine and is "explosive" out to 100 yards. Having no gas check limits it's speed and accuracy potential. Still yet it may be food for thought if you believed it would feed up in your AR. Like you, I have a 7.62x39 upper and, with this discussion, now plan to experiment this boolit in that caliber...at least after the Spring thaw.

Thin Man

Quote Originally Posted by Echd View Post
    I just took delivery of a Mihec 311410 4 cav from a member here earlier this week. If you want a sample of some of the boolits to try out, I can get some out to you within the week, just need a chance to do some casting. I can send them raw so you can powdercoat, as well. When the weather gets less terrible around here I plan to do some comparison posts between PC'd and lubed lead, and I'm hoping other members will do the same.

I had really good luck with PC on the Lee 155 SKS boolit as well as the Mihec 311440. I had considerably less luck with anything smaller than .30 caliber (although 6.5 is hard for any cast shooter apparently, and that was my test case). My Mihec 180-SIL HP 3 cav might as well be a jword the way it acts powdercoated out of my .308s and 7.5s.

That said, even with all of the equipment and a dedicated oven, I find PC to be a hassle sometimes and I just lube size a lot of boolits, and TL many as well... I think they all have their place, but I digress!

Xacex had some interesting posts using the 311410 in .300 BLK. Much of that information should prove useful if you also plan this boolit to be for a 7.62x39. Personally I have yet to find anything to beat out the Lee 155 SKS boolit for that, but I'm sure the NOE mold puts up a good showing. I nearly bought the HP'd 155... Might still.
    Thank you for the offer!

For those following along at home, that thread by Xacex is here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=blackout

MiHec and I have been PM'ing each other back and forth.

I'll probably be buying 4 of his moulds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Russel Nash View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. It is for an AR chambered in 7.62X39. So that is why I am looking for a lighter weight boolit so it can be pushed more super sonically... if that makes sense. So maybe 2,000 fps.
    Russel,

Here's another option you might want to look at. This link is for a current active group buy for the new Ranch Dog NOE TLC 313-150-RF. Ranch Dog (Michael) designed this bullet specifically for the 7.62x39mm SAAMI spec guns, like the Ruger Mini 30, various AR's, etc., with a .308" groove diameter. This bullet will cast at 150 grains as a flat point, and at 141 grains as a hollow point, when using wheel weight alloy: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=587.0

If you're not familiar with the NOE "RG" or "removable guide" mould designs with the RG brackets that hold the hollow point pins in place on the bottom of the moulds, here's a link to a tutorial that explains how to use them. You have to run the moulds a little hotter than usual, and make sure the pins are hot, to get the bullets to release easily. Go to: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,199.0.html

Ranch Dog has an Active Group Buy going on now for two other new bullet designs on the NOE Forum that might work for you too. One is for the TLC 310-180-RF (for the 308 Winchester) which casts at 167 grains as a hollow point, and the other is for the TLC 310-165-RF (for the 300 Savage) which casts at 154 grains as a hollow point. You might want to check these out also.

To see more of the specifics about all three of these new designs, check out Ranch Dog's 30 Caliber Short-Neck Discussion Thread. He has some really interesting info in that thread, along with some photos of his hog hunting results using his Ruger Mini 30 in 7.62x39mm, and the TLC 313-150-RF. Go to: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,585.0.html

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Vendor Sponsor

Mr Nash
    I have that MiHec 147Gr HP 4 cav Brass.
    both my 308 and 300 Blackout love it. Shoots very accurately. 2 deer last year 1 each caliber..1 DRT and one went 35 yds

If you get it in brass it wants to run real hot .. 50/50/2 I have to run at 725 to 735 to get 95% good
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!