Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Deal on a blackhawk.

Boolit Master

Deal on a blackhawk.

Stopped at the LGS today, been avoiding the place so I wont buy anything. Had a new model blackhawk in the case, the shorter barreled one, same length as the 357 I have so no holster issues. Its in 45 colt, been in the market for one, and no worrying about pressure like I had to with the cap and ball conversion cyl I had. Slightly used by the looks of it, $399.

It comes with the 45 ACP cyl, doesnt look like thats ever been used. I know its a good deal as is, question is on the 45 ACP cyl. Theres alot of freebore vs the colt. How is the accuracy shooting ACP?

Vendor Sponsor

Freebore doesn't hurt it at all. Those BH most likely need cylinder throats reamed so they won't size down a .452" boolit, after that they are quite accurate as long as there is no appreciable thread choke. That is a REALLY GOOD price for a convertible too!

It goes like this.. If there is no detectable thread choke, you ream the cylinder throats to .4525" (or send the cylinders and have them done) take one leg of the trigger return spring off the pin and let it hang, OR swap in a Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring, and that gun will be 98% as accurate as the same gun you spent hundreds of $$ on sending it to a smith for a total going over.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    It comes with the 45 ACP cyl, doesnt look like thats ever been used. I know its a good deal as is, question is on the 45 ACP cyl. Theres alot of freebore vs the colt. How is the accuracy shooting ACP?
    Usually, the ACP is the more accurate of the two. In some cases I've found it to shoot along side a target 45 ACP semi-auto. The Colt case can be as accurate if you load the 200 gr. target SWC for the ACP in it and push it.

Boolit Master
    I want the gun, but deciding how I will pay for it in the end.

Boolit Grand Master

I have several. I shoot the 45 acp the most. DougGuys and 45 2.1 are spot on.

Great deal! Both cylinders in my convertible are as accurate as the other, and far more accurate than I am. You'll be pleased. I fire more .45LC in mine, but that's just cause I'm partial to the round.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    Well I like the colt, but also the ACP. Have everything to load, cast or jacketed in either caliber. Dont see where one would be cheaper than the other when it comes to reloaded ammo. I like it being a blackhawk I can run the colts pretty hot. Same issue tho, paying for it. I can put it on layaway, but bought a glock first of this month, and 2 mosins. Had to sell something else along the way. Like most of us I have to many pots on the stove, need at least 2 scopes, those dont come cheap. Bought some reloading stuff for other guns just other day, never seems to end.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good stuff comes in bunches, unlike the wherewithal to buy it. I had no sooner plunked my money down on a nice Colt Agent, than a mint Winchester 94 44 Mag wandered into the store. I know it will sit there until the day before my tax turn arrives.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    ...for $399.00 can they do a lay-a-way?? That is a great price for that gun.

A friend has the same but he's had it since the early 1970s so it is a Old Model. He has always said it shoots well with both cylinders...

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    ...for $399.00 can they do a lay-a-way?? That is a great price for that gun.

A friend has the same but he's had it since the early 1970s so it is a Old Model. He has always said it shoots well with both cylinders...

Bob
    +1 - $300 for a Ruger .45ACP/.45LC convertible is highway robbery.

Boolit Master
    A cheap 1911 mag makes a nice flat, handy speed loader for the ACP's..

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .45 ACP is the more accurate of the two cylinders on my Ruger Convertible. Velocity of 4-5/8" revolver is IDENTICAL to 1967 NM M1911A1 pistol. The Ruger ads which will digest take a 1911 apart. What's not t like?
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    You already know it's a good deal. I strongly suggest you buy it quickly or it will be gone. And you will enjoy the accuracy of the 45 ACP out of it. BTW; I own over a dozen of the Ruger 45 convertibles.

Boolit Master
    Its not lack of want in this case, and I know its a really good deal. I had asked about ordering a new one like it not long ago. They do lay away. I know in the end I will stop by this morning to give them some money on it. I asked them last time why they dont already know all my info for the form or have them preprinted for me.

Its a really good place to buy anything. They never did any gouging on ammo like so many others did. They might break up a bulk pack of 22 into 100rd bags, but not more than $5-6. I asked a friend who works at a gun store the price on something and even with his employee discount, I could walk in off the street and buy the particular pistol I wanted for less at this shop. I want something, 10% over cost, lets you look thru the big book they have there. Fair prices on trade in, pretty much out of stuff to trade in. One of those little places, been in the same spot forever, think it burned down and rebuilt in the 60s. People who run have lived here forever, tried to buy it at one time just couldn't come up with the cash.

Boolit Master
    Theres alot of freebore vs the colt.
    Freebore? Or, long throats? The shorter case does lead to a longer throat, but I wouldn't call it "freebore". Freebore would indicate an unsupported bullet like shooting 38's in a 357, but that is not the case with a 45 ACP cylinder. Like others have said, the ACP shoots as well as the Colt cylinder in my Bisley.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    Freebore? Or, long throats? The shorter case does lead to a longer throat, but I wouldn't call it "freebore". Freebore would indicate an unsupported bullet like shooting 38's in a 357, but that is not the case with a 45 ACP cylinder. Like others have said, the ACP shoots as well as the Colt cylinder in my Bisley.
    Its why I asked the question. I had terrible luck with a 45/410, been better off throwing the 45 colts at the target. I looked in the 45 acp cyl and said wow thats alot of unrifled metal in there. But seems wont be an issue. I almost got the 9mm/357 convertable blackhawk when I bought the one I have, but dont really need another 9. Especially something that only holds 6 and weighs so much, tho in hindsite could have probably reamed it out to take one of the much hotter 9mm out there. My friends as it now ask 'whats he got now?'

I swung by and put some money down on it. Sometimes I wish they didnt do layaway so it wasnt so easy to dig myself a hole. Most people they require 20% down, me now since I am a regular customer only needed $20 for them to put it away. But they know I have a habit of putting a gun on layaway, then going back the next day to pay for it, on the first when I get my VA check. Gun show this weekend, maybe try to sell some of my 'junk'. The cheap guns we all seem to end up with, not alot of trade in value. Rest of it I have whittled down to stuff I dont want to part with.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I want the gun, but deciding how I will pay for it in the end.
    Dog gone it Tackleberry, can't you sell a kidney or something and get the money!

I've been there and done that, seeing a gun I just have to have.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

One of my .45 Colt/.45acp combo Blackhawks will outshoot any of my 1911's at 35 yards (where the backstop is on our pistol range) shooting 200 gr. SWC's with the .45 acp cylinder. It's scary accurate, as long as I do my part. I fill the cylinder and shoot a clay bird on the bank with the first shot, and then use the rest to break up the pieces.

If you don't buy it, I will..........

I just bought another NM Blackhawk in .44 Special yesterday. It had less than 200 rounds through it, with only a very slight turn line on the cylinder to indicate it's a used gun. It was $375.00, out the door. That combo Blackhawk is underpriced, and needs a new home.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I love the one I bought a couple of years ago. 7 1/2". At that price you should jump on it, mine was about $550 including transfer fee.

Vendor Sponsor

Freebore = a smooth section of bore just the size of the O.D. of the boolit (or maybe half thou larger) between the case mouth and the leade of the rifling. You could call it a throat as well. Weatherby calls it freebore. I don't use the term freebore to define unsupported space like a 38spl in a .357 cylinder or the .45/410 cylinder.

Maybe I am saying or using the word freebore wrong. Freebore, or throat, that's the size of the boolit, or slightly larger, .4525" generally in the case of the .45 caliber doesn't seem to hurt accuracy or velocity.

Freebore as in unsupported free space between the case mouth and the barrel or cylinder throat does terrible things for accuracy and velocity both.

Tackleberry, check the cylinder throats when you get it, I would be glad to help with those, the work is fast and affordable and very professionally done.

Contender1, I am looking for an early NM vaquero convertible in .45 caliber, hopefully a CC frame model, with some holster wear or turn lines. Got anything like that?
    Last edited by DougGuy; 02-13-2015 at 04:04 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast