Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New "Bargin" rifles"

Boolit Grand Master

I think a young man with a family is the market these folks are aiming for and I think they're right to do so, especially with the way our current government is helping our economy go in the toilet.-DaveInFloweryBranchGA

Very good point, also excellent for new shooters. I've read good reports on some of these rifles and I'm impressed that a rifle that performs this well can be built and sold at this price point. Just because they don't appeal to me doesn't mean they're not good rifles.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I think a young man with a family is the market these folks are aiming for and I think they're right to do so, especially with the way our current government is helping our economy go in the toilet.-DaveInFloweryBranchGA

Very good point, also excellent for new shooters. I've read good reports on some of these rifles and I'm impressed that a rifle that performs this well can be built and sold at this price point. Just because they don't appeal to me doesn't mean they're not good rifles.
    I think a BIG part of these rifles savings are in the time it takes to build them. Not inferior parts. My Ruger American is plain jane but built like a brick SH--house. The action and bolt are VERY strong and smooth to boot. With a plastic stock and Barrel that is I believe Parkerized but not blued saves on manufacture time which as we know is where the money adds up. For the price I love the American. Add a Boyds stock and you have a nice looking rifle.

Boyds is making finished stocks for a lot of these value rifles, a nice up grade.
    The lazy do not roast any game... but the diligent feed on the riches of the HUNT!! Proverbs 12:27

Quote Originally Posted by .30-06 fan View Post
    Boyds is making finished stocks for a lot of these value rifles, a nice up grade.
    Yes and they a very nicely priced as well. $113.00 for a standard laminate.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .30-06 fan View Post
    Yes! And one can use the plastic stock if need be and at a time when one choses to upgrade ....... there is a good option for a nicer stock.

Three44s

Boolit Master
    This is my savage axis bought it for my 50th b-day . My son and I did the trigger breaks clean at 3and half #s, boyds stock leupold vx-1 3-9-40 I made the bolt handle. With the savage rebate the whole gun cost me less than $600 bucks and shoots better than I can.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	savage.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	132531

Quote Originally Posted by monge View Post
    This is my savage axis bought it for my 50th b-day . My son and I did the trigger breaks clean at 3and half #s, boyds stock leupold vx-1 3-9-40 I made the bolt handle. With the savage rebate the whole gun cost me less than $600 bucks and shoots better than I can.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	savage.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	132531
    That is one sweet looking stock! Very nice rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by vmathias View Post
    I have never seen these rifles before until a few days ago. I have heard of Zastava but didnt know they built Bolt Actions. I am not a fan of pretty rifles. I do way to much "thicket" walking to use a rifle with a pretty wood stock. I have read that these Zastava's are a very nice rifle but not refined like some of the higher priced American wood stock Bolt actions. This is right up my alley as I use my rifles hard with the terrain I hunt. Will be looking into the 308 bolt action for those prices.
    I don't know who else sells Zastava's, but to get the 350.00 dollar deal on them at Academy Sports, you may have to look into it soon.
    I called them today and they said it was indeed a clearance price and only had a .243 in stock locally and i wanted one in .308. The salesman also told me they couldn't ship one from another store because it was a close out item. He finally put me in touch with management and after a bit of checking they told me they could get one shipped if any were left. Long story short they found 2 in South Carolina and arranged to have one shipped(at no charge) to me at the local store.
    Should be here in a few days. It was too good a deal to pass on!

vmathias thanks for the thread....you've turned out to be quite the ENABLER lol!!!

I looked at a Zastava M85 in .223 the other day on behalf of No. 1 daughter. The wooden stock is a bit agricultural but other than that it was a sweet rifle. All reports I have read suggest they shoot very well.

In contrast the Ruger Compact and Savage Axis rifles I saw left me cold. The stocks are way too flimsy for my liking.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    I don't know who else sells Zastava's, but to get the 350.00 dollar deal on them at Academy Sports, you may have to look into it soon.
    I called them today and they said it was indeed a clearance price and only had a .243 in stock locally and i wanted one in .308. The salesman also told me they couldn't ship one from another store because it was a close out item. He finally put me in touch with management and after a bit of checking they told me they could get one shipped if any were left. Long story short they found 2 in South Carolina and arranged to have one shipped(at no charge) to me at the local store.
    Should be here in a few days. It was too good a deal to pass on!

vmathias thanks for the thread....you've turned out to be quite the ENABLER lol!!!
    Haha, You'll be glad you bought it. I am getting ready to Pee my wife off here very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by vmathias View Post
    Haha, You'll be glad you bought it. I am getting ready to Pee my wife off here very soon.
    I'm already considering ordering another one and send it straight to JES for a rebore to .358 win. That was the original idea with the first one,but if it shoots as good as i believe it will, it'll probably stay a .308.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    Just ran across this deal.

http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-m70-7....-p-81916.html

While not exactly as cheap as the bargain rifles, I'd much rather pony up for this commercial Mauser rifle.
    This is a real deal; most attractive and a real Mauser.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    This is a real deal; most attractive and a real Mauser.
    Cannot wait to check out these rifles.

Boolit Master
    I think back to the 788 in .22-250 I paid $69.95 for back in '69 and I'm sure there were a few grins and sneers by those who could afford a M70 or 700 back then. I do not care for the rifles under discussion here, but I sure understand why someone might want one. I found a FN M 98 in the used gun rack a couple months back for $275 and jumped on it; while I'm sure my sons would have looked at it as an " old dudes rifle". To each his own.

Boolit Buddy
    About the Zavasta M70 wood stock. Have refinished two of them recently. Factory finish hide some nice grain/color in the two I refinished. As the Zavasta stock seems to be just soaked in some kinda oil and if you try to sand the wood, sandpaper will clog quickly. So, just scrape down the wood working with the grain and then wipe down the wood with some kind of paint thinner, mineral spirits or even some brand of antique finish restorer. After that you can sand decently if needed. Both stocks I redid had minor low/high spots in the wood that sanded out easily, just took time. To me, cheek comb is too high and handle of my cleaning rod hits it. So, lowered it a bit. After my sanding, worked with the grain of wood using a fine steel wool. Would have preferred to have used a scotchbrite pad, but didn't have one. Applied four coats of Satin Minwax's Wiping Poly(urethane) finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Huffmanite View Post
    About the Zavasta M70 wood stock. Have refinished two of them recently. Factory finish hide some nice grain/color in the two I refinished. As the Zavasta stock seems to be just soaked in some kinda oil and if you try to sand the wood, sandpaper will clog quickly. So, just scrape down the wood working with the grain and then wipe down the wood with some kind of paint thinner, mineral spirits or even some brand of antique finish restorer. After that you can sand decently if needed. Both stocks I redid had minor low/high spots in the wood that sanded out easily, just took time. To me, cheek comb is too high and handle of my cleaning rod hits it. So, lowered it a bit. After my sanding, worked with the grain of wood using a fine steel wool. Would have preferred to have used a scotchbrite pad, but didn't have one. Applied four coats of Satin Minwax's Wiping Poly(urethane) finish.
    Well lets see a pic of that bad boy!

Boolit Master
    Remington 788 .30-30 on Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=473774987

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    That is a dandy!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    that is a fine gun!!! i wish i could buy it. my money is looking for a 1903a3 or 1917 enfield.

Well tommorrow would have been 3 weeks since i ordered the Zastava .308. It finally came in today but will probably be next week before i go and pick it up as i'm on a pretty tight schedule this week. I'll post a pic of it when i do.
    Think i'm going to like this one. I'm hoping it's a 1/12 twist like the cz's are in .308, but can't find the info on them for that...guess we'll see.

Got an old m8 6 power leupold ready to go on it, just need rings, bases, reloading dies, boolit moulds, and cases!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast