RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New "Bargin" rifles"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    The thing I like about the American over the Axis is the mag. The retaining clip is plastic and hinges on a pin with a spring rather than being a bent piece of plastic. The Ruger one could be fixed by a handyman with a file, a piece of aluminium or steel and a bit of patience. Just the same, I'll be buying a few spare mags.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Banned

I think at one time yes. When weatherby went from the vanguard to the vanguard 2 you could pick the originals up for as low a 300 bucks and they were a steal at that. Now you looking at 500 bucks which puts then and most savages (that used to also be considered entry level) into more of a mid level gun with the sps remingtons
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    This thread got me to thinking..... Would the Weatherby Vanguard be considered on of the "bargain" rifles?

Boolit Grand Master

Supply and demand and competition between different Mfg., along with slick marketing, has produced the $3-400.00 dollar rifles that shoot well.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    This thread got me to thinking..... Would the Weatherby Vanguard be considered on of the "bargain" rifles?
    FWIW, the Vanguard is made for Weatherby by Howa (in Japan). Howa 1500s are basically the same rifle with a different stock and they did cost less than the Vanguard. Not sure if this is true today about the cost. Do know, about a year ago went into a pawnshop and found a Howa 1500 and Vanguard, both in 243 Win. Examined both used rifles, thought the Howa was in a little better condition and about a $100 less in price. Bought the Howa when manager accepted my offer for it. Chuckle, just before leaving the pawnshop, told the manager that Howa made the Vanguard and that I had made a very good buy, good luck selling the Vanguard. Was in store last week, they still had the Vanguard.

Anyway, have seven of the so called entry level rifles, (4) Marlin X, (1)Axis, (2)Stevens 200s. Some were bought just for the actions to build on. I've listed them in order of accuracy out of the box for me. None of them lacked accuracy, matter of fact, most shot pretty darn good for their price. Agree with many comments made about the plastic stocks. So, had fun making replacement wood stocks for all of them more suitable for shooting from benchrest.

Presently have no intention of buy a Ruger American, but I might one day. As to the entry level Remington's 783, I have no interest in trying one. Decision to cease production of the Marlin X rifles at Mayfield, Ky plant where Remington 770 and 783 rifles are also produced has irritated me.

Boolit Master

I have always liked the Howa actions and actually bought one many years ago in 6.5x55 for my great nephew. He still uses it and and would not trade it for anything.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Just ran across this deal.

http://www.jgsales.com/zastava-m70-7....-p-81916.html

While not exactly as cheap as the bargain rifles, I'd much rather pony up for this commercial Mauser rifle.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I have always liked the Howa actions and actually bought one many years ago in 6.5x55 for my great nephew. He still uses it and and would not trade it for anything.
    I sold a Howa 243 to my Brother to Purchase the Ruger American in 243 due to weight. The Howa is a VERY well built rifle for the price. However I am also very impressed with the Ruger quality and accuracy for the price. The Ruger shoots cast 243 VERY accurate.

While not exactly as cheap as the bargain rifles, I'd much rather pony up for this commercial Mauser rifle.
    That is not a bad price at all. Will def look into these rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, if you lived in the south and have an Academny Sports and Outdoors store in your area, you might want to check if they have any of those Zavasta M70 rifles left to sell.....were on clearance. Shooting buddy and I drove up to a town north of Houston, tx., last week and each of us bought the last two they had. They were M70 308s and price was $350 plus tax. Academny originally sold them for around $460. Charles Daley used to sell this Zavasta rifle or one similar to it, years ago. Remington had it for a year or two as the 798. It was my buddy's third or fourth one to buy at the clearance price. He wanted them mostly for their actions to build on. Also with a little tweeking, the adjustable trigger on it can go under 16 ozs pull. Me, I've just reduced mine down to around 2 lbs.

The Zastava is a quality, old world Mauser rifle at a budget price. I have four of them and looked at a mini Zastava in 223 when I saw the American in 223. I liked the shortness of the Ruger American Compact, so I went with it.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    The Zastava is a quality, old world Mauser rifle at a budget price. I have four of them and looked at a mini Zastava in 223 when I saw the American in 223. I liked the shortness of the Ruger American Compact, so I went with it.
    I have never seen these rifles before until a few days ago. I have heard of Zastava but didnt know they built Bolt Actions. I am not a fan of pretty rifles. I do way to much "thicket" walking to use a rifle with a pretty wood stock. I have read that these Zastava's are a very nice rifle but not refined like some of the higher priced American wood stock Bolt actions. This is right up my alley as I use my rifles hard with the terrain I hunt. Will be looking into the 308 bolt action for those prices.

The Zastavas are also available with wood stocks.

The Zastavas are also available with wood stocks.
    Yes, With reviews I have seen they say the wood stocks are not as pretty or finished as nicely as the slightly higher priced wood stocks.

The wooden stocked ones I have and tge ones I have seen are ok, but nothing to write home about. But at the price, no other rifle is available with wooden stocks.

The wooden stocked ones I have and tge ones I have seen are ok, but nothing to write home about. But at the price, no other rifle is available with wooden stocks.
    That is something one could fix in a days time with refinishing. The Mossberg patriot comes with a wood stock. They are pretty nice for under 400.

The two wooden stocked ones I have look pretty good after a lot of elbow grease and oil.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I just read all four pages of this post. As I was reading it, I thought back to a time too far in the past when I was married, both my children were under 4 years old and I was in the Army. I had made three stripe sergeant, but with the children, my money didn't go very far.

Back then, there were no real budget rifles like the Ruger American unless you bought a surplus rifle. Lots of them, but were usually heavy and not much fun to haul through the woods. I looked around and ended up with a Chinese made SKS for $150.00 just as they were coming into the country. Not very fancy, but I was thrilled when one of the major gun companies came out with soft point ammunition for it. Used it to take several deer in a swamp near my Father's home. I was a good shot and there were plenty of deer to be had in that little swamp if one could keep still like an Injun and I could.

That same Chinese SKS today runs around the price of these "bargain" hunting rifles. I would have been thrilled to be able to buy a Ruger American to hunt with instead. I think a young man with a family is the market these folks are aiming for and I think they're right to do so, especially with the way our current government is helping our economy go in the toilet.

So remember your poor young days of early marriage and think how nice one of these budget rifles would be to hunt with then. That's my .02 on these guns.

Banned

heck of a deal!

The two wooden stocked ones I have look pretty good after a lot of elbow grease and oil.
    I would love to see some pics of those.

Boolit Master
    Just as someone who can't afford a nicer or more beautiful rifle ........... does not have to "do without" .......... they have a diverse field of economical ones to chose from ..........

....... a prospective buyer of a nice rifle has no one holding a club to their head forcing them to buy the less expensive models.

That's choice ......... and I like it! I have somewhat nicer guns ....... and guns I am not afraid to drag around where and when I need one ......... my Compact fits that bill very nicely!

Three 44s

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast