MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New "Bargin" rifles"

Pretty gun or pretty woman the only real question that matters is can she cook and balance a checkbook? Ugly is only skin deep but can't cook or manage money there is just no point in even going on a first date.

There will always be a place for glamour, but solid, functional and no glaring defects that is willing to go out with me has some real advantages. While I love the look and feel of a well made object that was made with an eye toward beauty as well as function I am more than happy with finding something where function was primary that I can afford. Look at used for a cool looking bargain but why not also look at new that was built to be a bargain?

Reminded of a story told about Daniel Boone and his rifle, it was a rifle manufacturer known to make especially fine guns and he was once asked did he invest so much in his rifle because his life depended on it to which he replied no he got it cheap from some fellow who brought it out from the east and found he could not hit any game with it. When asked was this rifle bad then? Daniel said no, once I pried all the pretty silver fancy metal off so it quite flashing and scaring the game the rifle worked fine.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I bought a Ruger American Compact in 223 and it shoots 1/2 -3/4" groups with factory ammo. I mounted a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope and all up it was about $50 dearer than a bare M77. I am very happy with it.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

In Remembrance
    I have all I need for any and all practical purposes, sooo the only ones I buy are used, and only then if they are absolute bargains.
    I did buy one of the cheap 770 remingtons to get the scope off of and gave the rifle to a kid that needed something to hunt with. I suspect since ruger and marlin basically copied savage that they are good functional rifles, there was absolutely nothing good to say about the remington other than it will take game.
    I actually feel bad for giving the kid that one. Bad enough that if he hasn't upgraded by next christmas, he will probably find something better under the tree.

In Remembrance
    I forgot, I did buy one of the marlins in 30/06. I haven't shot it but it was pretty nice with a slick action. The reason I bought it was, it must have had a youth stock on it and it fit my daughter well, she loves it.

Banned
    i had a tc venture in 25-06. i got the dies and brass and everything else i needed. i sent it back to the factory 3x because it wasn't striking the primers. they got it right and i took her home. i don't remember the powder but i shot it with 115gr ballistic tips. the best load was about 1/2" at 100 yards.
    i sold it and got my money and then i replaced it with a new MGM heavy factory barrel in 22-250ai. i can't find anything bad about the venture, but the stock made it look really, really flimsy and cheap. it must be me, 'cause those synthetics look real cheap to me.
    anyway, not a real bad gun(tc venture). its worth it to the average guy who shots a couple of times a year before deer season and puts it away.
    for me, its got to be a MGM barrel(got 4 of them) or wood stocked pre-1950's for me. my oldest boy bought me a christmas gift, handi-rifle in 45-70 with a synthetic stock, so i will keep this one!!!

Boolit Master

i personally wont touch one of the elcheapo specials they are selling now days, but someone must ( the american consumer is driven by cheap, not quality). about the only cost cutting rifle ive ever thought worth anything was the 788rem. quite honestly buying an american made rifle nowdays is like rolling the dice, because quality control has dropped badly on most of em.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I kind of remember the Remington 788 as the red headed step child of it's day ........

........... NOW, it's a classic ...... go figure!
    Yeah, and the ones chambered to .30-30 were prized cast boolit shooters...if you could find one, that is.

I have four "plastic" stocked Remington 700's (3 .308's and a .30-06) which are equal in quality and accuracy to any of the wood stocked 700's I ever had. They all shoot into less than 1/2" or less right out of the box.

The only other thing I have to add is that I never criticize another man's choice...

In Remembrance
    For what it is worth, I didn't buy any of my rifles to enter in any fashion shows. lol Most folks buy a rifle to hunt with, and I suspect any of them will do for the most part. I don't really care for plastic stocks, but have to admit they do have some perks in the real world. From what I hear, the newer cheap savages, marlins, and rugers on average rival the best of the older factory guns in accuracy. Infact the ruger has a better reputation as far as accuracy than the classier, more expensive rugers.

I do not own any of the newer econo guns, but do have some savage 340s and model 23 that were the econo models of yesteryear.

Boolit Grand Master

On used rifles there are several things you can do to "reduce risk or surprises" when purchasing. A decent bore scope helps alot to see what the bore throat condition is. ( throat also can give an idea of rounds fired) Most Gunshops doing gunsmithing and selling used rifles have some form of bore scope available to them and if ask will check this for you or better still help you to see what is isnt there. A look at the breech face under magnification can tell alot also. A look at the locking lugs under magnification can tell a story as well. I have a 17" hawkeye bore scope bought when they first came out I use ( Im not above taking it and a cradle into a shop to check a rifle before purchasing). Lyman list a bore scope in thier catalog web site now too. Talk to the salesman and ask questions if possible they normally have an idea of what is in stock and condition. Most centerfire rifles have seen little use unless its a competitor or shooter. My M1As are both on thier 4th barrels now. Still going strong otherwise. I perfer walnut and polished metal but also have ARs and tubbs or mcmillen synthetic stocks on my match rifles, not plastic but top of the line fiberglass reinforced and filled. A good mcmillen stock cost more than most standard grade walnut stocks. One big plus to synthetics is humidity moisture dosnt affect them. My M1As wear bishop stocks walnut finished with many coats of true oil inside and out along with bedding. Use common snese and your eyes will sort out alot of issues before purchasing.

Boolit Master

Hmmm. . . I think we've sunk even farther than many know. Consider the following:

Action turned from a steel pipe.
    Trigger made of stamped sheet metal.
    Floorplate made of cast aluminum.
    Bolt made of three pieces pressed and brazed together.

This cheapazz answer to mass marketing is commonly known as "The Remington 700", and after 50 years in the marketplace, it is evidently not cheapazz enough. Indeed, it seems to have gained the reputation and price point of a paragon of hand-crafted artistry

There are some real advantages to having guns made by robots - cost and accuracy potential being high among them, but what puzzles me is that these robots should be even better at making an attractive, confidence-inspiring firearm than any human laborer for a fraction of the price. Yes, I get that there is a bottom line, but does it have to be submerged to the level of catfish and crawdads?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    A good friend of mine is a salesman at a local gun store, he gets to see all the new guns. He also deals with warranties and repairs. He said the Ruger American is a good gun and he intends to buy one for his wife. The other entry level guns he doesn't speak as highly of.

I rarely buy new guns. I buy and sell fairly often, I can't afford to keep every gun I buy. I test drive my guns for however long it takes to decide if it shoots and handles like I need it to for the purpose I bought it, if it doesn't meet my expectations, I sell it for what I paid.. So for me buying used means I don't lose money when I resell. I buy midpriced stuff mostly. The only plastic stock I have ever had(excluding ARs) is on a black friday TC muzzleloader my wife bought me as a gift. I hunt all weather with my guns, I keep them oiled and clean and don't worry about keeping them pretty, just proper working order. The lowest price point rifle I have owned is a Savage 110. I might buy a Ruger American if I found a good price on a used one.

Anyone tried the winchester xpr bolt rifles? I noticed it has a 3 lug bolt and 60* bolt lift like the browning bbr.
    I liked the looks of the stock on them a bit better than some of the others mentioned here except for the marlin x7's.

Banned

haven't bought an American yet but would consider one. I have bought sav axis and Mossberg atrs for the grandkids. 2 of each. Ive worked up loads for all 4 (all are 243s). Each and every one of them were easy to find a moa load for. Funny thing is im a bit of a snob and wouldn't be happy myself with them but those 4 rifles all were easier to find good loads for then some of my guns that cost 3 and 4 times as much. Id bet there still around and are passed down to my grandchildren's children someday too. Just had the granddaughters atr done in muddy girl camo at a local shop that does that water dipping. Now they all want there guns done. It really dressed up the gun and it was an excuse to make another birthday a gun deal. I guess youll probably still never see me in the field with an atr but id have to think that no deer is going to know where a Mossberg lanched that bullet or a weatherby.

Love Life
    I have been eyeballing the Ruger as a beater/truck gun. The synthetic stocks on these guns are made to meet a price point. Not all synthetic stocks are created equal. You can spend as much on a Mcmillan or Manners as you would on a full gun with a wood stock.

Boolit Master

My hunting/shooting partner best friend wanted a 243 he looked at the new savage Stevens line, he likes.the 243 and the youth .223 for yote hunting he bought both for under $500, put decent glass on em, they both shoot well enough to take game at typical MI distances, deer and yotes booth have fallen to the "cheap" pair, plastic stock dull finish and they came with no name scopes but if a fellow wanted a varmit and big game rifle, and needed both on a budget..well, buddies neighbor liked the savages so much and really liked the price so he bought one of the Stevens in 300 win mag for $275. And it shoots real good. I think there is a place for a "cheap" rifle that works to bounce around in a truck bed on a boat or tractor or as a barn gun or even as a lender or bad weather rifle or even a backup.

Boolit Master

This thread got me to thinking..... Would the Weatherby Vanguard be considered on of the "bargain" rifles?
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master
    Would the Weatherby Vanguard be considered one of the "bargain" rifles?

Not in my opinion.

I think the Howa \ Weatherby Vanguard rifle is very much a step above the " economy rifle " concept.

Some call them " A Japanese Sako ".

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    This thread got me to thinking..... Would the Weatherby Vanguard be considered on of the "bargain" rifles?
    The Vanguard is the entry level model of their lineup. Same thing w/ automakers. Just because BMW makes a 1 Series does mean it's a bargain model.

Boolit Buddy
    Palmetto State Armory has the Marlin X7 .308 for $249
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-308win-70386/
    If links are not allowed mods feel free to remove.

The traditionalist in me believes in buying quality to last a life time so I see where folk are coming from. That said, just because it is cheap doesn't mean it won't last.

Presently I am considering a Ruger Compact or Savage Axis Youth for my 10 year old. I don't want to spend a fortunate just in case she loses interest and I end up with a rifle too small for me and surplus to requirements. At least if the investment is minimal should she give up shooting the financial pain is less.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast