Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New "Bargin" rifles"

New "Bargin" rifles"

I have noticed it seems that every manufacturer is coming out with a "price point" or Bargin rifle. Winchester XPR, Ruger American, Savage Axis, Browing XB3 etc.. They are obviously coming out to compete with other brands and all comes down to sales. Most people in this day and age/economy cannot afford the higher priced rifles. To you rifles experts, are these price point rifles really that much different than the higher priced rifles? I know things like barrel nuts, machine time and synthetic cut manufacture time but besides this is the quality there? I do own the Ruger American and I can say that I am highly impressed.

Perma-Banned

I have been wondering this myself for awhile now. If you are regularly shooting at longer distances 300 yards or over I think a custom or semi custom rifle can not be beat. The problem I see is in this day and age most people do not shoot more than 100 yards. I have a beautiful custom built 1903 in 270 winchester that will put the bullets in one hole after another all day long. It is not practical at all but fun to shoot.

Nice, I will say when I bought my Ruger American in 243 I was blown away with the accuracy and overall quality of this rifle. I compared it side by side with A Remington 700 (Bolt was grittier than hell) Mossberg 4x4, Thompson center venture and a savage 111. In my opinion the only gun that beat it out in overall feel and quality was the Thompson center venture. My only reason for not purchasing the Thompson was weight compared to the Ruger. I bought this gun mainly for Coyote hunting and knew I would be doing long walks and hikes with it. The Ruger won for what I needed.

Vendor Sponsor

I have sold several Ruger Americans and the Marlin XS/XL series and they will hold up accuracy wise with the best of them to 300 yds ..
    Several customers have shown me multiple ragged/near ragged 1 hole 100yd groups with American 7/08 and 308's.. they are doing this with $300-$400 guns and $300-$500 scopes
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I got to shoot a couple of Savage Axis, 2 youth models in .243 and 1 .22-250, over the last couple of years. It appears to me as a fit and finish cost reduction to get the price down more than anything. Stocks a little flimsy, not the slickest action, triggers could be better, metal finish a bit lacking, and all 3 shot little bitty groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. I suspect buyers expect good accuracy and reliability these days in even the cheap models, and will slam a model with bad reviews if they don't get it. Cheaper to be accurate then to not sell any.

No game animal I know of will ever be able to tell the difference between getting shot with a premium rifle or with an econo-gun.

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

No game animal I know of will ever be able to tell the difference between getting shot with a premium rifle or with an econo-gun.

You are correct.

I have often wondered if it would serve me better to buy higher end used or brand new bargin. If Stocks and barrel nuts are the biggest cost savings and they still shoot just as accurate I will go with the bargin rifles. Was never a huge fan of used guns unless I know who previously owned them.

Boolit Master
    There are plenty of affordable, accurate rifles to be had, you may spend as much or as little as you want. Mine cost anywhere from $150 - $2000. Most were bought used and all but one (bought new) shoot pretty well.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Perma-Banned

OP, if you overlook used guns, you are passing up "bargins" as you say.

As to your question, I have not owned one of the price point models, but I have ready many owner reviews that were very positive. I have looked at them, with my general impression being that outwardly they seemed to be solid guns and at a very affordable price. I have found things about them that I did not like (RAR magazine rattles on half of the rifles that I have handle), but they same could be said for the higher end rifles.

I bought a rifle that you did not mention, but I feel is also a price point gun, Weatherby Vanguard Compact, and I am thrilled with it for the $435 out the door, that it cost.
    Last edited by shoot-n-lead; 02-12-2015 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shoot-n-lead View Post
    OP, if you overlook used guns, you are passing up "bargins" as you say.

As to your question, I have not owned one of the price point models, but I have ready many owner reviews that were very positive. I have looked at them, with my general impression being that outwardly they seemed to be solid guns and at a very affordable price. I have found things about them that I did not like (RAR magazine rattles on half of the rifles that I have handle), but they same could be said for the higher end rifles.

I bought a rifle that you did not mention, but I feel is also a price point gun, Weatherby Vanguard Compact, and I am thrilled with it for the $435 out the door, that it cost.
    The Japanese made Vanguards are excellent rifles. I owned a Howa (basically a vanguard) that I sold to my brother. Excellent quality in their price. I would say for the price or more its hard the beat the Vanguards or Howa's.

Boolit Master

I am old school. I think that a person that would buy one of the bargain rifles would marry an ugly woman. I just think a rifle ought to be pretty and walnut with polished blue metal is my norm.
    The bargain rifles are market and manufacturing driven. The younger generation are now accustomed to synthetic stocks and matte finished metal. The AR-15 is now 52 years old and that is all the youngens know. To sell to the masses the bargain rifle is at a price point that can be afforded by the majority of the market. Also the rifle is manufactured to take costs out of the product. That being said the bargain rifles are accurate and all that most new hunters will ever need. Also the rifles are non-glare and meant to be hunted with. So what if you put a scratch on it.
    A Remington 700 BDL is now around $800. Walnut stocks are almost a thing of the past.
    I think you will see the bargain rifles replace models of yesteryear totally. Shooters and competitors that need a rifle system for hard and continual use will go to a custom action and a smithed rifle.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    I am old school. I think that a person that would buy one of the bargain rifles would marry an ugly woman. I just think a rifle ought to be pretty and walnut with polished blue metal is my norm.
    I used to think the same way....until old age set in. I do like walnut and blued steel; but then you hang an ugly A.. scope on it. Might as well be plastic.

I wished my eyes were still good enough...I saw an older Remington 721 at a gun show this past weekend and it was wearing a receiver site; a Redfield. It looked marvelous, but my eyes would not do it justice and the dealer was a bit stubborn, so I can only reminesce..

I'll keep my old Winchester 30-30 soon to be 38-55(getting rebored at JES) and keep my shots under 100. It's blued steel and walnut.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

I personally think the price point firearms are as good as the ones with mirror polishing and quality bluing, stocked in walnut. I feel the finishing process adds considerable cost to a gun, where bead blasting is quick and quite forgiving.
    Its good to hear about those guns being good performers since I'm about to spring for one myself.

I will buy a used rifle before buying one of those "price point" rifles. I have not seen one of them that I would bring home. People I know build some of them refer to them as junk, people I know who repair them call them junk. They actually call them much worse, but can't post that here. I'm glad most of them shoot well, but they ain't for me. I think you get much more for your buck by buying good ol used rifles. IMHO

Boolit Master
    There's a difference between "inexpensive" and "cheap".... an inexpensive rifle should shoot well enough to suit 95% of all shooters out there, and while it works, don't expect it to last for generations. A cheap rifle won't be able to hold a group and won't outlast the original owner.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by koehlerrk View Post
    There's a difference between "inexpensive" and "cheap".... an inexpensive rifle should shoot well enough to suit 95% of all shooters out there, and while it works, don't expect it to last for generations. A cheap rifle won't be able to hold a group and won't outlast the original owner.
    How would you know this?

There are plenty of "cheap" Savage rifles around that are 40yrs old and they still shoot as well as when they were new.

The "cheap" comes from fit and finish...not from quality of the metal used.

Buy the price point rifles with the expectancy that they will last a lifetime and you will not be disappointed.

Boolit Master

Future thread.

Date 2025.

I remember when quality rifles were made out of excellent materials.

The barrels were solid steel, not an insert wrapped by carbon fiber.

The stocks were handcrafted on CNC and molded, not pressed out of waterproof cardboard.

The trigger groups were made from steel and springs, not an electronic release.

Scopes were made of glass and aluminum, not little tiny television monitors.

Price points at under $500, instead of the ridiculous prices charged now.

Where have all the quality firearms gone like the ones made in the mid 20 teens.

Ahh for the good old days.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

I can't remember which month, but within the last year the American Rifleman had an article on these bargain rifles (Savage Axis, Ruger American, and either the Marlin or Mossberg). The accuracy "out of the box" was good enough for hunting, though not benchrest shooting. If I can find the article I'll let you know which issue it was in.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I think any rifle that one can afford, that allows them trigger time is a good rifle.

I to have preferences, and that is for old steel and wood. My last several bargin rifles were all made around or well before the middle of the last century. Many people fail to consider used rifles as a source of constant enjoyment. I think part of this comes from todays throw away teachings and schooling.

The first place I go when touring LGSs is the used racks.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast