Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ithaca 37 barrel

Banned

I have both a 16 and a 20 Ithaca. The 16 I can't tell is any different sized from 12 gauge guns, but the 20 is definitely on a much smaller receiver.

Boolit Master
    What vintage is our 16? I have not been able to get hands on an older 16 but am told they were smaller than the 12 ga. My 20ga M37 was more trim than the 12ga but the Rem 17 is even more so. oo many guns , not enough money to try them all !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Here's some little known info on your gun. John Browning designed the original to be a duck gun. It ejects spent rounds strait down into the boat. I just found this out recently from a guy who know shotguns pretty well.

Also if you must do internal chokes on your gun do yourself a favor and send it to Briley. They do hundreds of guns every month and are considered in the shot gun world to be the best and surprisingly the most reasonable as well. http://www.briley.com/ Briley chokes are considered the best.

Also as far as keeping the original finish on your gun for value reasons I have to disagree. Maintaining a finish on a gun is part of maintenance , and it doesn't detract from the value of the gun unless the gun has some significant historical value and even then sometimes it doesn't matter. You wouldn't refinish a Colt Revolver that was owned by US Grant! But it is not a problem refinishing a common shotgun owned by your dad.

In the case of High End British Shotguns and Rifles made by the top makers in the world it is not uncommon for these guns to be returned to the maker for refurbishing to original or upgraded condition as needed. It doesn't detract from the value one iota! In fact diminished condition does detract from the value and anything less than virtually new condition is considered a major negative.

I just had my 1940 Ithaca M37 refurbished by Ithaca last year. It cost about $300 to do it which included complete disassembly and rebluing and/or replacement of all defective parts including my 6 Cutts Compensator Choke Tubes. I also redid the wood to English style with wood I purchased in 1976 but never finished.

I now have a brand new Ithaca Model 37 that was made in 1940! The gun is absolutely beautiful!

it's value is about $1500 right now as it is perfect. It is also nice and broken in, and runs so smooth it is pathetic.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 1953 16ga M37 with a 28" full barrel. What I did was to reload for the gauge. That way I could make loads not commercially available in the 16ga ie #9 loads for skeet as well as the immediate problem of the tight choke with spreader loads. Took the full barrel down to I.C. maybe more open.
    "A house divided against its self can not stand" Abraham Lincoln

We hunters, trappers, fishermen, and shooting sports enthusiasts are the house. But we are divided and are our own worst enemy. If we do not stand together we will fall individually.

Why not do a classic Poly Choke with the original barrel. It'll look right for the period and give you what you want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    the nice thing about the Remington 17 is that it is a 20 ga size reciever. The M37 was up sized somewhat.
    same deal with early winchester model 12 in 16 gauge on the 20 gauge receiver. many had factory 26" barrels, making a very handy gun with near full power loads.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Somewhere around here, I have a barrel for a M37 I would part with. I would have to dig it out to tell you what it is. If any one is interested, PM me, and I will check to see what it is when I get back home. I know it is a 12 gauge.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    same deal with early winchester model 12 in 16 gauge on the 20 gauge receiver. many had factory 26" barrels, making a very handy gun with near full power loads.
    So true, I have a first year 16ga M12, very sweel little hunting gun. It's a 26 mod and still chambered for the 2 9/16 loads. It shoots Rem gun club OK, but I still trim them back before reloading. Anything else, factory 2 3/4, will not clear the ejection port, makes it a really slow single shot

Waksupi, better watch having extra barrels around, that's how I wound up with the M17. Had a nice barrel I figured I neededd a gun to go with it !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12