Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: ranier bullets in 357, how do you crimp??

Boolit Buddy

Smile ranier bullets in 357, how do you crimp??

did a search but didn't really find what I thought I would find, so,

we all know about the crimp issue with the plated bullets, got some smooth no canular 158g in a trade, that I thought about maybe getting around to loading,

but what is everyone doing, just a light roll crimp or using the lee collet crimp we used for ranchdog bullets,

for in a revolver /and levergun

thanks,

Make sure you have good neck tension and then use a light roll crimp. I've been doing it that way for years.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I've loaded thousands of 38's without a crimp groove. Good case tension and a light taper crimp. (I use a 9mm size die for the taper crimp)

check them by pushing the bullet against your loading bench and try to push the bullet into the case
    Happiness is a couple of 38's and a bucket of ammo.

Boolit Master

When I tried the plated stuff I found any roll crimp would injure the plating as it`s only .003-.007" thick.

My best results were done by chamfering the inside of the case mouth with the LVD tool then taper crimping.

I pushed these harder than ya supposed to & roll crimping would let the plating seperate from the core from the crimp back. As long as I kept em around 1K fps all was fine though.

GP
    GP100man

Boolit Master
    Have been loading the Berry's (and Rainier when they had them) .41s and use a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die. I put as much crimp on them as I do any other bullet and have never had a issue....and I crimp on the heavy side.

Bob

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Make sure you have good neck tension and then use a light roll crimp. I've been doing it that way for years.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    ditto this . . .

i like ranier a lot and i'm a huge fan of berry's mfg . . . i've used plenty of both in zillions of 38, +P and 357MAG loads.

just like everybody else here, lots and lots of experimenting with different size/shape bullets in front of just as many different charges . . . you'll find what works for you.

i've found that with no cannelure "less is more" when it comes to the roll crimp.

good luck and good shootin'!

J the D
    "Sometimes a society becomes too stupid to survive." Mark Steyn

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot a lot of Rainier 158s. Currently I use my Redding profile crimp die adjusted very light. Just enough to see a very slight distortion in the bullet at the case mouth (barely visible). That's enough crimp for reaching ~1000 fps. Recovered bullets show a ring around the bullet at the case mouth, but no visible lead anywhere.
    I have the Redding .357 taper crimp die on order and will be using that for plated when it gets here.
    Neck tension does most of the work, so don't over flare/expand your case mouths.

I have a full box of Rainier 180gr HP Plated in .400, loaded over 9.6gr Longshot in 10mm cases. Chronoed at 1375 averageout of my RIA 1911. A few of them have turned to Grey Powder before hitting their targets. I use the LFC as a seperate step after seating the bullets.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

+1 on taper crimp. should measure .004-.006 at the case mouth below what the case measures with the boolit seated. Same as what you would do for a Rimless case for a Semi Auto.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy

Smile well, thanks everyone,

just getting back to the thread,

now to apply the new found knowledge,

with this quote, blizzard going on, guess I will have time to sit down and maybe load some up