MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Price question on a 1903 action?

Boolit Buddy

Price question on a 1903 action?

I seldom get to gun shows these days, and have no idea on current street values. I've got a Remington 1903 action, WWII vintage but before the 03A3. A complete action (less extractor), with Remington-marked parts. The action is not drilled-and-tapped for commercial sights or scope, and the finish is in approximately "very good" condition.

What would such an item actually sell for these days? How much more would it be worth if re-barreled with a lightly-worn 2-groove barrel?

Thanks,
    Jim

Boolit Master
    Well back in the summer i bought one at a flea market. A complete 1903 made in 1934 but with a bad sporter stock bad barrel and bad headspacing for 50 bucks. I am planing to rebuild the rifle i bought a 1940s high standard barrel to put on. I was told my action alone was worth between 200-250 dollars. So i hope that help you out for a round about price. But if i was you i would rebuild it back to it old glory.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Bouncer50. I've got another that I'm building into a sporter. This one is just sitting there, and a friend expressed interest in it.

In Remembrance

Another thing to take into consideration is, "How much of a good friend is he - and do you want to give him a good deal on it"?Robert

Boolit Buddy
    A stripped bolt and action go for around 150 that's a 1903a3. A 1903 is probably around 200

Boolit Buddy

AIM Surplus is currently selling 1903A3 stripped bolt and receiver for $ 119.95...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...ion&groupid=12

I suppose somebody that wants to build up a Rem 1903 might be interested and willing to pay a little more.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

Thomas Jefferson

I just bought a complete Nice 1903 SA Sporter for $300. Pick it up tomorrow and you'll all see pics soon. It has got a really nice barrel, a nice checkered stock, a Lyman 57 Receiver Sight, a Lyman Front Sight, and is ready to shoot.

I think realistically $100 is more in line with reality for your action. Also you're never going to get top dollar for an incomplete action for a gun. I know you said only missing extractor but still it isn't complete and will cost someone $25 + shipping and time to replace. That brings the price to $125-150 total to complete.

Maybe making your friend a good deal could payback more in the long run. Always have to consider the "Future Power" of a friendship.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Of the WWII 1903 type rifles, the Remington 1903's were some of the least produced group. Remington started out building the 1903 and over time, began changing from milled steel parts to stamped to meet the demands of the war. Finally, they came out with the stamped peep sight that fits on the receiver instead of the barrel and this model was named the 1903A3.

Your receiver is of a more rare type, but to make it valuable, you would have to make it correct. The Remington 1903's had a four groove barrel and depending on the year, a mix of stamped and milled parts. You would also need to find a Remington 1903 stock. Once completed, your rifle would be worth around $1500 or better.

That said, finding a 4 groove 1903 Remington made barrel is about like finding a Unicorn, except the Unicorns are more common.