WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midlife revolver

Midlife revolver

Just kicking this around and seeking input. Suppose a guy really liked his single action revolvers. (didn't comment on his ability to use them) And suppose this guy was still kicking himself for not taking out a loan and getting that TLA #5 when his wife gave him the go ahead 20 years ago.

Assuming he could afford it should he:

1.) Get a Freedom arms or BFR

2.) Send something to Bowen or Clements or Horath or one of those folks to be redone and personalized.

3.) Shoot the bunch of Rugers he has, be glad he has them, and spend the extra money on boolit metal and powder and primers and molds.

What say you?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Well I say all three choices sound good to me!!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Before you do anything . . . take the wife out to dinner and a show . . . it's just helps to grease the wheels a little and they tend to let you indulge in your hobby more . . . just sayin' . .

And don't forget they like flowers as well . . .

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago

1.) Get a Freedom arms or BFR The ones I've shot are big, heavy and snort a lot. Try before you buy to see if you like it.

2.) Send something to Bowen or Clements or Horath or one of those folks to be redone and personalized. A long wait, but if you really like something you have, go for it.

3.) Shoot the bunch of Rugers he has, be glad he has them, and spend the extra money on boolit metal and powder and primers and molds. Always a good choice......

4.) Peruse the gunshops around for quite a while until you find something you REALLY like.

bhn22
    4.) shop the online auctions and find something you really, really want. Then buy it.

Boolit Master
    I'm all in favor of a custom revolver, but only if it is significantly different from the Rugers you are happy with. If you are happy with off the shelf revolvers, and Ruger is making some good ones now, like those .44 Special Flat Tops, then just shoot them and count yourself fortunate to be living while Ruger is providing what you want.
    Rule 303

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I'm thinking that at some point I'll need a Super RedHawk shortened to 5.5" and trigger work done by a good smith, plan on setting aside O/T funds over the next year to make it happen.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master
    There is always Option 5. Take out a really, really big loan and buy the real #5 at auction (in March I believe).

Robert

Boolit Master

Rather than repeating, I will just plagiarize post 4 because he took the words right out of my head. How the heck did he do that?
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    What I did Tues.Sent my 20 some odd model 83 in 454 to JRH To be born again.When it comes back it will be bigggggger.

1.) Get a Freedom arms or BFR - Solid choice. Practical. If the factory offerings fit the bill, then by all means get one. And enjoy the heck out of it. IMHO, the BFR is going to need a little love from a smith to really make it shine. In the end, with a little more cash outlay, you've got an FA. I'd sell a couple guns to make this happen if it were me.

2.) Send something to Bowen or Clements or Horath or one of those folks to be redone and personalized. - I'm not into owning a lot of guns. That's just me. So if I had a few that I could send down the road, I'd be working toward this choice. But my thinking might be skewed by my experience. My father has a nice little collection of arms, but over the last 20-25 years has really settled into using only one. It is his favorite. And one that he'll end his hunting days with.

I could go the rest of my days with a single custom - and not even a fancy custom necessarily. Blackhawk, custom cylinder and barrel, action work, Bowen rear sight. Probably in 44/45/475. Something I could shoot at putt-putt speeds and still drop a whitetail. Something I could still handle in my 70's. The one to end my days with...

3.) Shoot the bunch of Rugers he has, be glad he has them, and spend the extra money on boolit metal and powder and primers and molds. - I think if you were happy with what you've got right now, you wouldn't be thinking of what you could do differently.

In my own little world of mid-life choices, I'll probably end up sending my BFR to Huntington to caress. Could I buy another gun (or two) instead? Sure. Could I sell some guns and the BFR and get a FA, or maybe even a custom Blackhawk? Sure. But I really like the BFR and with a little work it'll make for a wonderful field arm in my eyes. A bit heavy, but wonderful just the same.

Some guys think more is better. And some guys would trade more, for better.

I'm in the latter group.

Boolit Master
    Before retirement AND divorce, I had a fairly nice allowance to spend on my toys. My idea was a RUGER with a trigger job and EAGLE GRIPS Gunfighter model grips in buffalo horn or stags or ?

I recently bought a S&W Schofield reproduction after watching Tom Selleck in Crossfire Trail for the millionth time. (Thankfully in 45 Colt so I won't get something hot into it by mistake.) Other purchase was a 45/70 MARLIN Guide Gun.

Otherwise, I'll be watching gunbroker, etc for stainless steel 44 magnum Original Size RUGER Vaqueros in 5.5 or 7.5 inch barrel length. What did John Taffin say about "a pair and a spare" in the models you like.

Boolit Master
    Freedom Arms are the finest single actions made bar none, can't go wrong, BFRs are very rough in comparison, some of the 5 shot custom BH are my second choice.

Boolit Master
    When pontificating such matters -which I do frequently, my advice is that you get out and shoot the guns you have. A lot. During cabin fever season I wonder what gun I want, then when weather permits more range time I find I'm pretty satisfied with the guns I have. But I have a lot of guns. Shop for deals and keep a fund handy for the next purchase.

Custom work -understand your on your own. Money spent is just about never recouped when the gun is sold so once you head down that trail be sure you are committed to writing the check when you get the bill a few years later. If you really want it, then you should do it.

When considering between the BFR and the Freedom Arms, why not purchase and shoot them? If you keep them factory original you can always sell them if you decide you don't want them. You might just need to answer this question by purchasing and shooting them.

Boolit Buddy

Just my $0.02, all are good choices but I'd go with #1 and get the FA. I recently ordered, waited, and acquired a model 83 and it's simply the best SA revolver I've ever had. Now I got two more on order.

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Before you do anything . . . take the wife out to dinner and a show . . . it's just helps to grease the wheels a little and they tend to let you indulge in your hobby more . . . just sayin' . .

And don't forget they like flowers as well . . .
    It's easier to get forgiveness than premission!
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

#3 sounds most logical to me!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    I will vote for #2. Someday I'm going to have Hamilton Bowen build me a revolver. All the rest are just guns.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Perma-Banned

I know I personally want to get a custom revolver to my liking at some point. I just have to stop spending money on everything else.

Boolit Master

There is no revolver on earth I like more, in theory, than a large-frame ruger Blackhawk.

However, I do not like the barrel lengths they offer, the Blackhawk I own has a horrible barrel, and several other parts are quite simply of lower quality than they should be, which is to be expected from a company turning out $500 revolvers.

If I could take my current bisley Blackhawk and have it fitted with a slightly oversized 6" to 6.5" barrel in .45 colt, with a 6-shot cylinder with all 6 holes bored the same, with a very slight amount of tuning to the trigger, and a front sight blade of my own design (I already have the bowen rear) I would be quite happy with it. I might be even happier if it was a .44 or .41 caliber.

MR and FA do not make a single action that I really like well enough to even use as a base gun for customization. There are small details of the rugers that I simply prefer, at any price.

I guess that tells you what I would do.