Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: SLOW Twists and FAST Casts Using CUSTOM Barrels...Results, Please?

Boolit Master
    another page of useless bickering

just my opinion, at least I kept it short.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sbowers View Post
    Then obviously you are not willing to make the changes to that will lead the experiment to its obvious goal, which to my knowledge is maxium velocity/ and accuracy from a cast bullets.
    Steve
    You willing to buy me 4 more Krieger barrels?

Time and money are major limiting factors. This is a hobby, not a job.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Grand Master
    True Mike, they also state that their formula isn't accurate for flat based bullets. They say it tends to underestimate stability for flat based bullets.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

sbowers
    There are other barrels that are just as accurate as Krieger and I am almost sure that the builder of the rifle would be acceptable to changing it for the sake of achieving the goals.
    Steve

Boolit Grand Master
    There are other barrels that are just as accurate as Krieger and I am almost sure that the builder of the rifle would be acceptable to changing it for the sake of achieving the goals.
    Steve
    You are still looking at 800 dollars for 200 dollar a piece barrels. That is no small amount of money. Add in the divorce and it will break me!

sbowers
    Why is it necessary to have all the barrels at once take them one at a time and work it to it's maxium potential before moving on.
    Steve

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    Brad hey Im asking this again and not nic picing really Im not. when you get the chance run the alloys through a alloy calculator so other can relicate the alloy or have a idea to replicate close to your alloy.
    On another topic I seen a calculator that has the correct drag functions for lead if anyone is interested Ill look and post the link.
    Brad I know you used bergers site they just dont care about cast and dont offer the drag functions for lead. common and easy mistake.
    First- Berger does have a desire to sell their bullets. Right? This stuff is all much more applicable to long range shooters than it is to short range shooters. By short range I mean under 300 yards, certainly under 200.

Second- alloy works out to roughly 1% tin, 3.25% antimony. I say roughly because my range scrap was tested years ago and may have changed and I am using what I believe to be monotype but even then who knows what the exact composition of it is at this point. I don't know how "worn out" the type metal was when I bought it. Good thing is that I have lots of both still on hand so I can get pretty repeatable alloy if I need more.

Third- I think a great many things go into the "real" stability of a bullet. This is why they give things as a range, not as an absolute. What we don't know if those factors have any real world affect on what we are doing. I sorta doubt it. I won't be noticing a .010 difference at 100 yards. Now if i was shooting at 600 to 1000 it matters much more so but I don't have intentions of doing so.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why is it necessary to have all the barrels at once take them one at a time and work it to it's maxium potential before moving on.
    Steve
    Time will tell? Let me get this barrel figured out before I commit to anything.

Banned

so is any one going to post any results?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I have posted what I have shot. Look at the HV thread here by Run. Weather took a typical NE turn and got cold and windy so I haven't been out for a bit.

I have been using the heck out your checks! I may need to order another 5K 30 cals.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sgt.mike View Post
    A while back I shot the calculator that would do GL function to Bjornb Ill see if I can dig it up.
    and I will say realllyy and truthfully the Calculators are a guide.
    The bore dimentions (land / groove dia and widths) will change how the twist affect the stability or at least that is what a respect barrel maker has told me. I just never doubted his word. Now is that a myth or fact I dont know
    Comparing actually measured BCs (the M43 Oehler can do that) and their actual drop figures measured by actually shooting at ranges to 400 yards I find the standard G1 function to be the closest for use with the flat based bullets we use at velocities over 1800 fps. It's the G function I use in computing the Sg factor based on the Miller Stability Formula.

Larry Gibson

Banned

btroj, better get them while I got them! just got a few 30 cal in the other day.

Boolit Grand Master
    I may wait til your next shipment, I still have 4K right now. I have used almost 1K this year getting bullets ready for heat treating and what now. That last bag went pretty fast....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    I'll be posting some test results (shot yesterday) as soon as I get the post prepared.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Mike, your inbox is full

Boolit Grand Master

Cant wait to see those results Larry.
    I've got a buddy blowing my phone up, asking to go shooting (I think he liked it) but I'm covered over this weekend, and I already shot up or gave away all my bullets (if anybody ever hears me say I want a 2 cavity brass mold instead of a 5 cavity aluminum mold, just slap me till I come to my senses!).

Good luck to everybody who's shooting.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    These far I have used an alloy I think is 50 pounds range scrap with 5 pounds monotype added. I say think as I have been using bullets I cast last fall and like a fool I didn't label them.
    I think I can help you with that Brad. If you can't reproduce your alloy, you're dead in the water. I say this especially if that group you posted in the HV thread was shot with this unknown alloy. You need to be able to get back there if it was a combination that sorta worked.
    I can beg a favor from my buddy with the XRF machine.
    Funny story there. He came to me a few weeks ago in a panic and told me that he had lost his titanium wedding band and his wife was about to kill him. He showed me pictures of the original, and I cut him a new one out of titanium. A couple hours under a microscope with a graver rendered a very fine band that looked better than the original. Yeah, he owes me big time. LOL!

Boolit Grand Master

It would be much easier to keep stuff on your bench if you would use it this way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1061.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	130747
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Rick, I have little baggies full of bullets with writing in the baggie. This is part of the reason I did my cleaning a few weeks back. I had so many bullets I wasn't using any more and they needed to go away. 265 pounds worth

Boolit Grand Master

I've seen Sarge's loading bench. He messed it up so as not to make people feel bad. LOL!

Sarge, I have a chronograph here I'm not using this weekend. Feel free to come borrow it. I'll even let you take my bipod.
    (just give me a few minutes to weld some steel plate to it) LOL!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast