Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Octagonal Barrel Clamp On Scope Mounts

Octagonal Barrel Clamp On Scope Mounts

Does anyone make scope mounts that clamp onto the exterior of octagonal barrels?
    Was pondering mounting a pistol scope on a half stock rifle and well, seems like the way to do it.

Perhaps one of those aluminum "UTG" clamps would work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...EPE4EFJEPANEB2

I suspect that the section of the clamp which fits under the barrel would interfere with your ramrod....
    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto."

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

It would probably need the stock inletted around it also. With the right equipment it is doable. Another way to go would be a piece of weaver blank from brownells cut to use existing dovetails or screw holes. I had a pistol scope (old bushnell phantom) mounted on my TC renegade for awhile with the rear sight screw holes and a reworked contender mount. This was the scope with the rail on the bottom. Mounted nice and low allowed cheek weld and didnt have to modify stock or hammer.

Perma-Banned
    kwik-site or kwik-mount or somethin' similar to that used to make just such a clamp-on mount as yer lookin' for. also had magnetic strips where it contacted the barrel to help hold it in place. don't think they were a big seller as I haven't seen one advertised in about 20 or 30 years.

i'd second the idea of a weaver style base drilled to use the rear sight holes.

Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    Perhaps one of those aluminum "UTG" clamps would work?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...EPE4EFJEPANEB2

I suspect that the section of the clamp which fits under the barrel would interfere with your ramrod....
    Had no idea such was made. That's very close. You're surely right though about interference with the ram rod.

I have one with magnet- also has velcro strip to help hold in place - constant problem shifting

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Had no idea such was made. That's very close. You're surely right though about interference with the ram rod.
    How much clearance do you have between the ramrod and the barrel?

You might be able to bend some thin steel to match the bottom contour of your barrel, and use that instead of the aluminum piece. Here's a rough sketch -

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I'm sure some form of clamp could be cobbled together that wraps all the way around the barrel or at least contacts the lower two opposing flats to make for an adequately secure mounting system. But no matter the type of material for this clamp (contraption), some part of the stock is going to have to be relieved. The ramrod clearance would be of least concern. Rube Goldberg wins while the simple obvious has escaped.

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    I'm sure some form of clamp could be cobbled together that wraps all the way around the barrel or at least contacts the lower two opposing flats to make for an adequately secure mounting system. But no matter the type of material for this clamp (contraption), some part of the stock is going to have to be relieved. The ramrod clearance would be of least concern. Rube Goldberg wins while the simple obvious has escaped.
    Since the OP stipulated a pistol scope and a half-stock rifle, it's quite possible that he intends to attach the barrel clamp forward of the stock.

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ofitg View Post
    Since the OP stipulated a pistol scope and a half-stock rifle, it's quite possible that he intends to attach the barrel clamp forward of the stock.
    Posted on the other muzzleloader scope thread-
    "I have no idea how a friction clamp, without "digging" the pins into the barrel, would be secure enough. By far the simplest is to use a flat bottomed rail/Weaver base and screw it into the existing rear sight screw holes. Or at most one D&T'd hole in addition to the dovetail. Use a blank dovetail filler and D&T it for the second screw. Mount the base and add a LER scope of choice.

Sporter size and sporter weight muzzleloaders loaded with heavy charges and heavy bullets generate a very healthy amount of recoil. So much so that some care has to be taken when selecting a scope tough enough to withstand it... in addition to the secure mounting system.

I mounted an LER scope on a couple of T/Cs about 38 years ago when investigating the true accuracy potential of those rifles with various loads. The forward mounted scope on the flat bottom base, as described above, worked especially well and was simple and easy to do. To protect the ocular glass I mounted a thin brass deflector in front of the nipple. A nipple seat diameter hole in a thin brass curved sheet secured by the nipple- just like the current flash deflectors are mounted."

Boolit Bub
    I have what you need. About 20 years ago I got a Thompson Renegade in 50 caliber, but I wanted it scoped. The scope mount is a clamp on(I never had any issues), it uses 3 screws for tension, is blackened aluminum, 4" long, 1 1/4" high, and 1 7/16" wide, uses weaver rings, NOT a seethru mount, condition is excellent, only marking is "MLC". I am new to forum, so have patience.

The barrel was I believe 1 ". Without tension the mounts open to a little over and inch.

Please let me know what you think.

Boolit Bub
    Pictures have been sent to email. It mounted on top between nipple and rear sight on the renegade, no wood was removed.

I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks, michael m.
    This is the design I may still try out to provide a pistol scope mount ahead of the stock on a Renegade.

Simple to make and would provide it's own alignment. Just cut the pieces, drill the holes, tap the threads for the scope base holes.

Boolit Mold
    mike, i saw your comment about the scope mount for a renegade. it was in 2015. is there any chance u still have it?

OK fellas, I'm on my way to creating a small game and plinking rifle with octagonal clamps and pistol scope.
    The UTG clamps are in hand. The pistol scope is coming.
    I'm planning on finding another used Traditions Deerhunter and adding a small bore barrel to use either .358 or .41 molds (because those are in hand also). There's an old, old NEI .363 220 grainer around here too so maybe I'd shoot it lubed and paper patch the .358's.
    If I can't find a Deerhunter with a wooden stock this will be my scary "black rifle".

Quote Originally Posted by big foot View Post
    mike, i saw your comment about the scope mount for a renegade. it was in 2015. is there any chance u still have it?
    It's on Navarone, the .52 bore paper patch rifle with 38" barrel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Navarone.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	224634

Hey, why is this here thang always hitting low?

Boolit Master
    I have one for a 1" barrel, 3 hex screw clamp it on tight, used it for years, also had a screw which screwed into a rear sight screw on a TC .54 hawken barrel. Shot it for years with a 23/4 Burris scout scope and heavy loads with a maxi ball load, it never lossened,i did put blue locktite on it. I still have it.

Got a CVA Bobcat on the way.

Boolit Grand Master

A simple U mount with divots in the barrel for the lock screws works just fine. Then you simply put on a flat weaver base. I used aluminium for the u mount and could have done a wearer dovetail in the top but had extra bases so I did it the easy way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast