Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Fun and games with 9mm Largo

Boolit Buddy

Fun and games with 9mm Largo

My youngest brother has been wanting a Star Model B for a while now.

Once the requisite funds had been gathered together, he was off to the local Cabelas.

That evening he texted me to let me know he got it. This was followed by the succeeding messages:

"It's not feeding right, won't chamber the 9mm luger I have on hand"

"Well (you can fill in the blank here), they mislabeled it in the display case. I'm the pround owner of
    a Modelo Super in 9mm Largo. Guess I'll have to buy a set of dies now."

So we got together over the weekend and did some reloading.

By some stroke of luck, Cabelas had Unique in stock. So Bert got a pound of that along with Federal small pistol primers and some Berry's 124 grain plated bullets. He also got in some Starline Largo brass.

After getting the Dillon 550 dialed in, we had a ball. For those of you interested, Dillon doesn't list a caliber conversion for 9mm Largo. I ended up using shell plate 3, the #3 buttons and the F powder funnel.

The 14th edition Speer manual gave a starting load of 4.5 grains of Unique of a 125 grain bullet. That was plenty to cycle the action and drop the cases at our feet. Accuracy was superb. The soda cans didn't stand a chance.

I guess an Astra 400 will be rounding out the collection

Boolit Master
    I also have one of each, and got them long before Starline started making brass. I used .38 Super brass and loading dies for a long time. My uncle had a 400 even earlier than me and he shot 9mm Luger exclusively in it. Some of them work doing that and some don't. My 400 works with the 9mm Luger, but not my Star. The Star seems to have a tighter chamber.

A while back, they had 9mm x 23 Winchester brass out. I tried that when I found a bag of it cheap. Also did not work in the Star. Most of them did work in the 400, but not all of them. When Starline started making the brass, I put the other cases away and use Starline exclusively now.

I use exactly the same powder type, powder charge, and bullet that I do for my 9mm Luger handloads. The only difference is the case. It works in both the Star and the Astra.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy08 View Post
    I guess an Astra 400 will be rounding out the collection
    There is a cute little carbine in that caliber..... the Spanish Destroyer. I highly recommend one if you're going to get the 400.

Boolit Master
    I have a star and a astra along with the carbine. when I got them there was no largo brass so I made it out of .223 that was a lot of work. then I got some 9mm mag brass and trimmed it down that was easier the .38 super with its semi rim will work in the astra keep the loads light. it will work sometimes in the star. it will not work in the carbine.
    I use .38 super dies to load for it. use .38 super starting loads only.
    as far as 9mm luger don't use it in any gun marked for 9mm largo. the cartage is only held by the extractor. plus for the astra it is too hot a load. the astra is a blow back action.

I some times carry my star. when I do it is loaded with cci 124 gr. gold dot hp.

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    I have a star and a astra along with the carbine. when I got them there was no largo brass so I made it out of .223 that was a lot of work. then I got some 9mm mag brass and trimmed it down that was easier the .38 super with its semi rim will work in the astra keep the loads light. it will work sometimes in the star. it will not work in the carbine.
    I got the Astra first along with the original 9mmBB ammo........ The carbine came next and, as you say, the bolt head would not close over the 38 Super's case head. Due to no boxer primed 9mm Largo brass, I had the bolt head cut for the 38 Super's rim. All is good now as they all take the 38 Super brass. Somewhere down the road someone is going to be perplexed about that carbine though.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    There is a cute little carbine in that caliber..... the Spanish Destroyer. I highly recommend one if you're going to get the 400.
    I told my brother that he needs that if he wants a complete Largo collection.

He now feels obligated to become a collector of firearms in obscure calibers.

On a side note, I forgot to say that I told him to skip buying dies. My RCBS set covered 9x19, 9x21, and 9x23. We got a test round completed, pulled the barrel, and did the plunk test. It passed and all was well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    What he said

If you are looking up the shells, you can use those of the 9mm Steyr produced by Fiocchi (GFL) are compatible.

Bullet 115 gn. FMJ (O.A.L. 30,00 - 31,00mm)
    N-320 4,0 (min.) - 5,3 (MAX)
    N-330 4,0 (min.) - 5,5 (MAX)
    N-340 4,0 (min.) - 6,2 (MAX)
    N-350 5,0 (min.) - 6,6 (MAX)
    3N37 5,0 (min.) - 6,9 (MAX)
    Rex Gialla 4,0 (min.) - 5,6 (MAX)
    PEFL-26 4,0 (min.) - 5,6 (MAX)
    PEFL-28 4,0 (min.) - 7,7 (MAX)
    SIPE-N 4,0 (min.) - 6,3 (MAX)
    BA-9 4,0 (min.) - 6,6 (MAX)
    WW-450 4,0 (min.) - 5,0 (MAX)

Bullet 123 - 125 FMJ (O.A.L. 31,00 - 33,00mm)
    N-320 3,5 (min.) - 5,0 (MAX)
    N-330 4,0 (min.) - 5,3 (MAX)
    N-340 4,0 (min.) - 6,0 (MAX)
    N-350 5,0 (min.) - 6,1 (MAX)
    3N37 5,0 (min.) - 6,6 (MAX)
    Rex Gialla 3,5 (min.) - 5,4 (MAX)
    PEFL-26 3,5 (min.) - 5,2 (MAX)
    PEFL-28 4,0 (min.) - 7,5 (MAX)
    SIPE-N 4,0 (min.) - 6,0 (MAX)
    BA-9 4,0 (min.) - 6,4 (MAX)
    WW-450 3,5 (min.) - 4,8 (MAX)
    Weapons are like money ... no one ever has enough

My Modelo super chamber fits 9X23 brass perfectly. I won't publish what I load it with. Ugh, kickem' butt! The destroyer gets milder fare.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Banned
    Have a Star Military in 9mm Largo, slide is marked 9mm38. I use .38 Super or .38 AC brass, and .38 ACP level loads, functions fine.

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150212_145910.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	130544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150212_145918.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	130545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150212_145845.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	130546

I have an Astra 400 that I picked up a few years back for $75, it's nice with only a little bit of darkness in the barrel.

Top target is 3.7 grains bullseye, bottom 4.0. Both are using the out of print lyman 358246 (148 gr RN originally designed for 38 S&W), sized .360 to correspond to my groove diameter of .359+, water queched wheel weights, and use starline 9mm largo brass. Both were shot at 25 yards. Both function the action.

4.0 load shows 9/10 shots in 2.5" and will shoot like that over and over. I have since settled on a load of 3.9, same accuracy and keeps me off max load.

Attached is load data from old Lyman handbook #43 for the 38 auto (not super).

Can't quite figure out how to rotate the pictures, sorry
    Need advice fixing a coleman appliance? Maybe I can help!

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GUN PICS 12-16 006.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	130554
    I have a Star Modelo Super That I have had for a while now. It is not very accurate, but the balance and feel to me are superior to that of the vaunted 1911. Mine only shoots 38 super if I turn the heads, but I managed to score a few hundred Starline cases that are good a while back that stand me in good stead.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Here are mine.

Attachment 130586

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen the carbine at several shows lately. Can anyone tell me if they shoot- i.e. minute-of-beer-can at 50 yards?
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by BLTsandwedge View Post
    I've seen the carbine at several shows lately. Can anyone tell me if they shoot- i.e. minute-of-beer-can at 50 yards?
    I've only shot my handloads in mine, which is basically new unworn condition. I expect about 1.25" to 1.5" 50 yard groups in mine if I do my job right.

Oh, yeah minute-of-beer-can easily.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master
    Drink Foster's--bigger targets!!
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.