MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Massive Lee slug and sabot testing.

BT,

If you don't have a shield for your chrony the sabots and wads can beat it up even if the projectile misses.

Good luck with project.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    BT,

If you don't have a shield for your chrony the sabots and wads can beat it up even if the projectile misses.

Good luck with project.

BB
    I got the Chrony Beta with the detectable display for the shooting bench. However, I may attach a piece of wood or something in the front

I have the same chrony and there are a couple of dents in the metal from smokeless muzzleloader sabots. I also use bamboo skewers for the sunshade, bullet cuts the skewer in half without hurting the chrony. If you put a good hit on the metal sunshade rods it can wreck your instrument.

BB

Banned

Ajay killed his chronograph and then built a box covering the front.

How far should I place the chrono from the bench? Instructions say 10 feet, but what say ye?

Ok, I got some load data for the blue sabots from BPI. Very interesting to say the least.

I'll be starting out with Longshot and 800X. The dont list data for the 300 grain FTX.

Here's one load for the 350 XTP:
    30 grains of 800X in a Fiocchi hull and fiocchi primer, roll crimp, for 2000 fps. That's hauling ***.

Should I reduce this load by 2 grs for the lighter bullet?

I would reduce it and work up slow with the Longshot. Just be careful with Longshot when you get it near max things can get crazy in a hurry, it is very temper mental when loaded at max loads. Are there any 3 inch loads listed or are you going to work with any with the sabots?

Boolit Buddy
    I would actually not reduce the powder charge for the lighter payload; pressure will always go down with the lighter slug, and you might actually need to increase the powder just to break even. However, if you start with the known load for the 350 gr slug, but sub in the 300 gr slug, you can work up from there.

Quote Originally Posted by leadhead 500 View Post
    I would reduce it and work up slow with the Longshot. Just be careful with Longshot when you get it near max things can get crazy in a hurry, it is very temper mental when loaded at max loads. Are there any 3 inch loads listed or are you going to work with any with the sabots?
    Yes, they list some loads for 3 inch hulls.

I loaded a few last night with a full hard wax wad (not cut), a gas seal (x12x I believe), sabot w/350 grain XTP. The fit was incredible. Air tight. I had to hold my charging rod down in the hull for a minute so all the air can escape.

BPI recommends you glue the gas deal to the base of the sabot for better accuracy in back bored rifled barrels, so that's what I did. I'll take pictures later.

So here's a few I loaded up. Two of them I forgot to add the hard wax was and jacked up my crimp. I wonder if it will affect flight?
    Messed up:

These are the most air tight. Can't wait to see how they shoot.

On these, the sabots are from slugsrus.com. The sabots are pretty tall.

But I think I found the solution. I added a clear overshot card with a slight roll crimp. What do yall think about the roll? Not much of one, but the slug ain't moving.

I forgot to add the hard wax was on this:

Boolit Mold
    I plan to watch this thread close. Being a canadian i have an extremly limited access to powders, the only one i have access to is accurate nitro 100nf. i will be making 1oz slugs and tesring them with this powder. As for hulls i have win AA, as well as a limited supply of activ that i stumbled accross.

Boolit Grand Master

I know the feeling and share your pain!

I live in Southeastern B.C. in a small town and until recently we have not had a gun store at all and reloading components all had to be bought elsewhere or shipped in. I have had a very limited range of powders and am currently running out. So far Blue Dot is still my favourite but I have not been able to buy any for the last 3 or 4 years. Even the gun store is having problems getting powder. I haven't checked recently as I have not been shooting for a while.

Hulls you can get from Bismuth Shot Reloading in Alberta. I am sure there are other places but he is a Canadian BPI rep. so has (or can get) a good selection of BPI products.

Longbow

Boolit Bub
    Longbow: Any chance Bismuth Shot Reloading has a web site? Google has failed me, again.

Boolit Master

Bloodtrail, are those blue loads some pf AJ's sabots? I'm interested to see how they work for you.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes:

http://www.bilozir.net/
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi...ada/canada.htm

Changed the name though. Will Bilozir owns/runs the place. When I first bought from him was several years ago and it was known as "Bismuth Shot Reloading". Still uses Bismuth for the e-mail address.

Nice guy and good service in my experience.

Longbow

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Bloodtrail, are those blue loads some pf AJ's sabots? I'm interested to see how they work for you.
    Not sure if I know what you're talking about. The blue sabots are from BPI

I'm headed to the range tomorrow. I'll test for 50 yard accuracy, velocity, and then move on to 100 yards if 50 looks good. I wanna video it and put it on YouTube.

I'm loading some Lee slugs in PT1205 and PT1213 (?) wads. Not sure if that's the exact part number, but I'll check this evening. It's the 1 oz version of the 1205.
    I'll be testing 45 gr of Blue Dot. For the 2nd and 3rd loads, I haven't decided yet.

Boolit Bub
    Blood Trail
    Regarding the blue sabot cups from BPI, if yout bullet is to tall in the cup you can file the "tits" down on the inside of each pedal, otherwise there will be to much bulge on the cup making it hard to get into the hull. I use the BPI Skiev tool for this and it works slick. I use a TC maxi Ball (370 gn) in those blue cups. The smaller jacket bullets fin into those sabot cups better as they are shorter.

Boolit Bub
    Merci Longbow.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast