WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some deer blind building advice

Boolit Buddy
    I built mine 6'x6' and the next one will be larger probably 7'x8'. Two people would be do-able in the 6'x6' but cramped,three people no way. Mine is on the point of a ridge on a slope so the downhill side is about 8' from the ground and the upper side about 7'. I built stairs to go up to mine and am glad that I did. I used tin for the roof and siding with 2" of foam insulation that was then covered with scrap pieces of paneling. The insulation really doesn't do much to hold the heat in when the windows are open but help with sound.
    I thought for a long time about what to use for windows and finally used second hand storm windows but with my walls being 6' wide I could only use one window per wall leaving more of a blind spot at the corners than I would like...if I would have went with 7' then I could have used two windows and not had as large of blind spot. The blind spots really haven't been too much of an issue once I learned where to sit and keep moving my head from side to side.
    As far as deer seeing me in the stand I only remember that happening one time and that was because when moving my chair I bumped into an old metal crate that I keep in the stand for storage and to use for an end table to set my coffee cup and stuff on.
    For the window sills I used 2'x10's with them being flush outside and extending inside and put sandbags on them making a nice shooting position.
    For the gents,I dug a posthole about 3' deep vertically in-line with the third from the top stair and ran a 2' pvc pipe about 2' into the posthole and up to about a foot below the handrail with a 2' to 4' adapter then a 6' length of 4' pvc and a cap on a chain finally putting about 2 1/2' of gravel in the posthole and capping with dirt. A place to get rid of all of that coffee without carrying a Gatoraid bottle around.

I know one fellow who's son is a contractor and borrowed his trencher to run an electric line to a stand in the woods behind his barn.

I use my tower for squirrel hunting too. Two days ago I sat in it with my 17HMR and long range headshot squirrels for supper.

Lots of great feedback. Appreciate all the positive suggestions.

This is going to be a permanent stand. It will be replacing a tree stand that's about 75 yards from where I want to put the house stand. It's in an oak grove. On one side of the grove is a cut which leads down to a valley and a stream. On the other side is some heavily planted pine acreage where the deer bed down. The oak grove has proven to be a reliable area where the deer transit along the cut, between bedding and water.

Hadn't thought about critters and wasps. Will probably have to seal it up tighter than I realized.

Banned

I confess to wanting that comfort myself. Have thought about one where I hunt. Then I would be just shooting, not hunting but meat is meat after all.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I confess to wanting that comfort myself. Have thought about one where I hunt. Then I would be just shooting, not hunting but meat is meat after all.
    I'm not sure why a person's physical movement or comfort (or lack of either) has to be some sort of a criteria for what "hunting" is. If I wade into the ocean and surf cast, I'm fishing. If I drive a really comfortable boat out to a spot on the water where some fancy electronic gadget says fish are waiting for me, and drop a line in, that's consider fishing, too.

Ten years ago, the first time I went wandering around a wildlife management area looking for squirrels, was clueless, except for what I had read in books (no prior hunting tradition in my family). Does that mean I wasn't hunting, because I didn't know anything? When I sat down against a tree to stake out a good spot for squirrels, did I stop hunting? Sitting on a cushion for comfort...is that still hunting?

I've come to understand that patience, effort (in any form) and accumulated wisdom are the biggest factors in successfully taking game in the outdoors. In the end, having a rub about whether it's called hunting or something else doesn't seem very important. It is what it is to the person doing it.
    Last edited by rbstern; 02-11-2015 at 05:20 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    I'm not sure why a person's physical movement or comfort (or lack of either) has to be some sort of a criteria for what "hunting" is. If I wade into the ocean and surf cast, I'm fishing. If I drive a really comfortable boat out to a spot on the water where some fancy electronic gadget says fish are waiting for me, and drop a line in, that's consider fishing, too.

Ten years ago, the first time I went wandering around a wildlife management area looking for squirrels, was clueless, except for what I had read in books (no prior hunting tradition in my family). Does that mean I wasn't hunting, because I didn't know anything? When I sat down against a tree to stake out a good spot for squirrels, did I stop hunting? Sitting on a cushion for comfort...is that still hunting?

I've come to understand that patience, effort (in any form) and accumulated wisdom are the biggest factors in successfully taking game in the outdoors. In the end, having a rub about whether it's called hunting or something else doesn't seem very important. It is what it is to the person doing it.
    Was once preparing a site to hunt after I returned from visiting my daughter for Thanksgiving out of state and was sitting on the corner of a wooden stand outside my blind with two rounds in the rifle looking for somewhere to shoot to confirm zero. Wearing jeans, black and white shirt and tennis shoes, warden walked up charged me with hunting over bait (corn feeder has to be removed 10 days prior) and the judge agreed. No matter that I had all my camo and two full boxes of ammo in the truck and had been watering all my fruit trees and generally making all kinds of noise all day; I was hunting. Lost my favorite .270, lawyer fees, and a year of hunting privileges due to their interpretation of hunting. So now I "hunt" in my 8x8 blind and make sure there is no question as to when I am hunting.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    You fellas are spoiled. I hang in a ladder stand with all the weather.
    They can be on the ground too because deer get used to a structure. Raising one lets you see farther and shoot farther. I have deer in the yard all year and could shoot from my deck. It loses something about hunting so I will not do it. Spot and stalk or track in snow is hunting. Even a stand you are not hidden in is hunting.
    I have squirrels at my bird feeder all the time so should I lift a window to shoot them?
    When the mulberries are falling in my yard, I take my little dog for a potty and she will sit and watch deer. They have come within 10' of us. I could take a gun, kill it and brag about how great a hunter I am, like the video shows on TV. How about a dish and TV to watch next?
    Awe c'mon Jim
    there are definite advantages to being comfortable while on stand all day
    you can be alot more choosey when it comes to hunting you don't have to shoot the first one because your cold
    tv won't be able to watch for deer then ya got to know when to say when
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    my main stand is 6'x7' with 7'walls its 10' off the ground that doesn't include the 2'deck
    it has a roof with shingles complete with camo netting with radar scrambling inserts
    I used to have a bench seat for when my young son hunted with me but got rid of that and installed a shooting ledge and now have a swivel chair for the shooter oh almost forgot the carpeted floor don't want to make any noise ya know
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    You can sleep on the ground with leaves over you in the winter but why would you want to? I could shoot a deer from my porch every day of the year and alot of times coming back from the blind they are within 50 yards from the house. Fact of the matter is I am getting to old to sit and be uncomfortable while doing what I love to do. By the way I hunted out of minimal stands for 30 years

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Was once preparing a site to hunt after I returned from visiting my daughter for Thanksgiving out of state and was sitting on the corner of a wooden stand outside my blind with two rounds in the rifle looking for somewhere to shoot to confirm zero. Wearing jeans, black and white shirt and tennis shoes, warden walked up charged me with hunting over bait (corn feeder has to be removed 10 days prior) and the judge agreed. No matter that I had all my camo and two full boxes of ammo in the truck and had been watering all my fruit trees and generally making all kinds of noise all day; I was hunting. Lost my favorite .270, lawyer fees, and a year of hunting privileges due to their interpretation of hunting. So now I "hunt" in my 8x8 blind and make sure there is no question as to when I am hunting.
    Why did you lose your .270? Did you have to forfeit it for hunting over bait? That seems excessive. Could you have asked for jury trial?
    Last edited by rbstern; 02-11-2015 at 11:38 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

I've built 2 - 4 x 8 blinds .... works great for one person and good for two.....consider putting the door on the side so you have max. working windows on the long side and good window on the non-door side and a small window, above the door.....post pictures so we can drool and steal ideas...good luck....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Awe c'mon Jim
    there are definite advantages to being comfortable while on stand all day
    you can be alot more choosey when it comes to hunting you don't have to shoot the first one because your cold
    tv won't be able to watch for deer then ya got to know when to say when
    I have to say you are right, getting old leads me more and more to comfort. I gave up self climbers and tree sticks for ladder stands. I no longer walk for miles either. Even hate to carry a rifle now.
    I spent hours in open stands with rain, turned to freezing, ice and snow. I don't want to do over.
    I might gather scrap to build a blind.

Boolit Master

Why did you lose your .270? Did you have to forfeit it for hunting over bait? That seems excessive. Could you have asked for jury trial?
    Yes, they confiscate it on site and never give it back. I suppose if I was found not guilty I might have, but who knows now. As for jury trial. not sure I suppose its possible but I figured the judge would of had some common sense. As it is I lost around $1500 over it and prolonging it would of cost more. As I told the warden, I fought for 21 years defending our rights, I'd be damned if I would plead guilty and give up my rights voluntarily.

Back on topic; I am looking to make a couple more blinds out at my place and will make one 4x6 with possibly making it a polygon shape (stop sign)but squared off in the back. I found that when alone (almost always) I can't see out of all the windows at the same time so this way I can sit in the middle and look out of three sides without movement. And I found a real good way of bracing the legs; its a corner brace for a barbed wire fence using wire, brace pins and tensioners; it keeps my 8x8 real steady, that and 2' in the ground with cement helps. It can be tightened up easily and you don't have to be worried about nail or screws getting loose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horse-fence-brace.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	130540
    Like this but an x instead of one.

For the windows I used channels with plexiglass which slides up and down. I use a pin to stop it midway or fully open and a sheet of corrugated plastic the same size as the plexiglass for outside since I found that the plexiglass would frost up in the cold and you could not see outside unless it was open. First thing I do is raise all the covers leaving the plexiglass closed, this way, once I see the deer, I slide the window up to make my shot and it works great since I can keep the wind from freezing me. I thought I may not get time to raise it, but most deer slowly make their way across and give me plenty of time and the sliding plexiglass don't make much sound.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    There is lots of things to watch in comfort while in a deer tower. Hang some wren house under the eves for entertainment....

Yes, they confiscate it on site and never give it back. I suppose if I was found not guilty I might have, but who knows now. As for jury trial. not sure I suppose its possible but I figured the judge would of had some common sense. As it is I lost around $1500 over it and prolonging it would of cost more. As I told the warden, I fought for 21 years defending our rights, I'd be damned if I would plead guilty and give up my rights voluntarily.
    Trusting a judge...luck of the draw. Judges are, politically speaking, all over the map. I trust a jury of my peers far more than I trust a single judge. Don't know when this took place, but you probably have appeal rights. Yeah, it's expensive and time consuming, but no way I'd lay down for having my property confiscated for what amounts to a civil rules violation or a minor misdemeanor. That's wrong to the core.

Back on topic; I am looking to make a couple more blinds out at my place and will make one 4x6 with possibly making it a polygon shape (stop sign)but squared off in the back. I found that when alone (almost always) I can't see out of all the windows at the same time so this way I can sit in the middle and look out of three sides without movement. And I found a real good way of bracing the legs; its a corner brace for a barbed wire fence using wire, brace pins and tensioners; it keeps my 8x8 real steady, that and 2' in the ground with cement helps. It can be tightened up easily and you don't have to be worried about nail or screws getting loose.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horse-fence-brace.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	130540
    Like this but an x instead of one.
    Nothing wrong with the wire bracing, but I'd be nervous about sitting atop anything supported only by a single fastener at each post. That beam should be resting on notches in the posts.

Boolit Master

Trusting a judge...luck of the draw. Judges are, politically speaking, all over the map. I trust a jury of my peers far more than I trust a single judge. Don't know when this took place, but you probably have appeal rights. Yeah, it's expensive and time consuming, but no way I'd lay down for having my property confiscated for what amounts to a civil rules violation or a minor misdemeanor. That's wrong to the core.

Nothing wrong with the wire bracing, but I'd be nervous about sitting atop anything supported only by a single fastener at each post. That beam should be resting on notches in the posts.
    The pic is to illustrate the wire, the cross members on mine sit atop the uprights held in place by lag bolts. The joists go across those, then deck boards go across the joists. I used diagonal boards as braces at first but the screws eventually loosened up so I installed the wires instead. I put it on three sides, the front I used standard corner brace like on a fence corner. I have the opening at the bottom so need the front open. I'll add pics here later.
    ~Pericles~

I built mine 6'x8' is super comfortable for 2 people and an occasional my 5 yr old goes with us too. I wanted to be able to move mine if possible, so it will fit on my utility trailer. I set mine on blocks after I leveled them up. Everthing exposed on the bottom is treated and I had a ton of OSB already so I painted it. Windows are hinged and open outward.

Boolit Master

For many years I hated stands to hunt from as I liked to stalk or still hunt. Now I am 63 with debilitating arthritis and diabetes with nerve problems. MY stand now is a GMC Sierra 4x4 truck.

Quote Originally Posted by 4719dave View Post
    ditto ..find some telly phone poles for the legs ..
    This is my BIL's...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SH 4.jpg   SH 5.jpg  
    Crabo

Do not argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Boolit Master

Here is mine a few years ago when I first built it, before cutting the windows.
    ~Pericles~

Banned

I want to hunt with you guys, hot coffee and bacon an eggs.