Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some deer blind building advice

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    I want to hunt with you guys, hot coffee and bacon an eggs.
    Not so much bacon and eggs, but the heater is my friend!

Banned

Do you guys have a bar and fridge? Some look so good There must be more!

Boolit Master

Attachment 131307Another option that I use is the "Dog House Blind" with a propane heater and a nice chair, works in rain, zero degree weather and it is easily portable. Not as good as a "condo" type build, but it is comfortable.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    I was going to put a small wood stove I have in my tower
    but it is too heavy for me to pull it up into
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't had to many problems with critters although I did
    chase out a coon once and have had numerous wasp bee nests
    now I shake the ladder when I climb into it as to announce my presence
    and hopefully evict any riff-raff before I get up there
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I use a portable ground blind with a heater built in

it is on 4 wheels so is easily moved from one location to another. It has a small kitchen built on the back

I believe it was made by General Motors Corp.

It has roll down windows that you can shoot out of.

I have another one made by Toyota, but it hasn't got a campe... er... I mean a kitchen built into it.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Banned

Many states say you can't shoot from your vehicle but a house on stilts is OK. I get confused.
    I remember duck hunting when a motor could not be used but a canoe was OK. A paddle was fine or floating a river. Shooting deer from a canoe was fine but don't drive a car and shoot from them.
    Can't bait but shoot a corn field for anything. My state says we can bait and shoot deer but not a turkey. I can hunt a corn field but can't put out corn for a turkey. Geese are hunted over grain fields but never put out grain. Feeding areas and food plots are OK, so are apple trees.
    Animals are shot where they feed. Legal but don't put out feed.
    I broke the law when apple trees did not have a crop so I brought apples to my tree. What is the difference? Can't shoot over feed or salt but you can hunt trials to the feed and salt, PA but in WV you can shoot over each. But can't shoot a turkey over corn but you can in a corn field.
    Food plots are legal but a pile of corn means jail time. Bears are baited but some states it is not legal. Can't bait a bear in WV. Put out corn, salt or apples for deer but do not shoot a turkey or bear. Food plots are legal so sit in a house and shoot anything. Shooting a bean, corn or clover field is OK but not if you put out the same food? Laws are stupid.

Boolit Mold
    I built mine on a hill, 8' to platform and 12'x16'. Full stairs in bottom to top, 4 corners cemented in place. single slope roof, windows on each side. I have hunted 4 people with room for more and we can cover nearly 80 Acres in farm country. The bottom has barn doors on one end that open to allow a four wheeler to pull in out of site. for two or 3 hunters comfortable, I would go 6 ' by 8' anyway.

Attachment 140187 Condo with parking garage. Sitting on a ridge . Shooting distance 100 + yrd's on 3 sides. 40 - 50 yrd.s on 1 side. About a 10 min. 4 wheeler ride from the highway.
    Finished it up this spring. 6'X6' inside fully insulated. There's a 25 year old 4'X4' hut I had been using about 30 feet away.
    Attachment 140234

Last Year !
    Last edited by Tenbender; 05-23-2015 at 04:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    This is mine around 7 years old now. It sits on 10' 4"x4" post. IIRC it is 5'x8'. If considering bow hunting out of it 5 feet would be the min needed to draw the bow (at least for me). Window height is 32" off the floor if I did it over again I would lower that 2" for bow hunting. The stairs were done for my FIL (not the most agile) who did take my boys from time to time. The legs attache with Elevator brand brackets which are a little price but make for a very safe sturdy connection and tilt the legs out in two directions for stability. It is achorded to the ground with cable and 2-3 feet earth anchors. I installed some cheap carpet on the floor for sound. Two old office chairs do nicely when I don't nod off. I had an on the wall heater but if failed last season and I replaced it with the smaller buddy heater. Very comfortable and although to me it feels a little like cheating it sure make it easy to get out of bed on those cold wet mornings knowing I am going to be warm and dry.

I have built several 4x4 (and two can fit but you must be good friends) but this is the best and for me the size was perfect. Much bigger and getting it up would have been a challenge. I built it on the ground tilted it over. put the legs on and rigged chain falls in trees to lift it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deer stand.jpg  

Boolit Master

Texas deer stand

...not mine, of course.
    USMC 6638

Vendor Sponsor

I spent hours in open stands with rain, turned to freezing, ice and snow.
    Did the exact same thing many times, put the climber on the tree the night before, beat 1/4" of ice off it the next am, had the weather change 4x before I got to the height I hunt at. Mountains in Virginia, Rockbridge County. AWESOME deer though, raised on corn, wild mast, and alfalfa, it don't get much better.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Do you guys have a bar and fridge? Some look so good There must be more!
    No fridge but a gas fired coffee pot !! Bar ? That's a good idea !!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEER BLIND 2.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	140927

Just wishing this was mine.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

I'd just be happy to have a place to go hunting. I'd sit on a bucket with a blanket wrapped around me if I had to, if I only had a place where I could go. People like me have to rely on public lands, where I'm more likely to end up as someone else's target.

The tree stands we built on our land you could stay for a week if you wanted too, big enough for 4 of us to sit in and have steps going up to them. 16ft up but the deer here in pa don't mind. Forgot to shut the door one time and went down with one of the grandsons for a walk and when we got up to where we could see it there was a mom ma coon and 3 kids standing in the doorway they liked it for there home too. 40 acres of land all woods on a mountain closest house is 100yrds and my sister bro 300 in the other direction, can't see sis house at all till fall. With corn feed deer its nice to live in the sticks,but a 100 yard driveway can be a bear in the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    I'd just be happy to have a place to go hunting. I'd sit on a bucket with a blanket wrapped around me if I had to, if I only had a place where I could go. People like me have to rely on public lands, where I'm more likely to end up as someone else's target.
    Come on out to Va. There's 5 huts on the property and I'm the only one using one !!

Boolit Buddy
    We've got lots of great hunting in our area but honestly THE best spot is probably my front porch of my cabin.

Boolit Grand Master
    Not to highjack the thread or anything, but that is a really nice cabin! Generous roof overhangs - you, sir, know how to build a cabin.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    I was going to put a small wood stove I have in my tower
    but it is too heavy for me to pull it up into
    Hi, White eagle,
    Make yourself one of these and you'll be able to haul it up into the blind easily.

I made this one, from a 4kg gas bottle, to heat up my workshop and it's very good. Keeps me warm on winter days.