Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some deer blind building advice

Need some deer blind building advice

Sorry for posting in the Hunting with CB area, but it seems to be the best place to discuss hunting related topics on the site.

My neighbor is generously letting me have much of the leftover wood from the house he just built. He routinely hunts my land, and we've agreed we're going to use the excess wood to build an elevated deer blind. He's got a teenage daughter who started hunting this year. Along with her, we often take other hunting newbies. Sometimes the wives like to come and sit in a double tree stand. We figure they'll last longer on cold, wet winter mornings and improve the odds if we put a roof over their heads and a propane heater near their feet. I prefer stalking deer, but the idea of spending a long winter morning out in the deer woods, while staying dry and warm, doesn't exactly put me off, either.

We've got a bunch of 2x8 lumber to work with, a lot of 2x4s, along with a long section of engineered/laminated beam. Some of it is untreated, so painting is going to be necessary, but that's no big deal. I'll get some 6x6 PT posts for the supports. We're thinking we'll go up about 7 to 8 feet, built a platform, and then wall it in, with hinged, wooden windows all along the perimeter for spotting and shooting. Simple, single sloped tin roof. Pretty conventional.

My key question is: How big? 4x8? 6x8? Larger? Most typically, it will be used by two people, but every once in a while, we may want to get three in there. Chair for each person, room for a basic hunting pack and, of course, a propane cylinder with a heater attached.

Interested to hear about size and feature considerations from those of you who hunt in blinds.

Boolit Master
    Two in a 4x8 blind is comfy but personally I'd go for 6x8 or better if you want to put a third hunter in there. Get two of your friends dressed for deer season and mock up a 6x8 space, see if you all have enough elbow room.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Three people with a heater..... 8x8.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Banned
    6X8 and I would go higher. Mine is 6X8 and 2 guys with a heater is enough. The floor of ours is 20' up and the deer do not spook. Carpet on the floor is nice as well

Boolit Buddy

Be sure to put an eye bolt in the middle of the floor. Sink a rod with an eye into the ground under it. Use a chain with a turnbuckle to tighten. This will keep it secure to the ground. Or, set the corner posts in cement.
    a handrail on the steps going up is handy to have.

Boolit Grand Master

Padd the floor with indoor outdoor carpeting and padding. Pad flat surfaces to deaden noises also. A shelf some where along an out of the way wall for a coleman stove and coffee pot or tea kettle. some form of gun rack is nice also. One of the pull down ladders ( like for attic accesses) would work nice also. A solid door and lock if accessable to public so you dont show up to find others using it. Build the roof with a steep angle on it so snow and water run off easily. Insulated a small heater will keep it toasty warm. First thing is to find your spot, and get out and watch to see where deer come from and go to so it is facing the right direction and opening are where you need them. A vent in the roof to allow moisture and odors to disapate. also if a heater or other stove is used then it helps keep C02 build up down. A small wood burner would allow for heat and making coffee tea or hot chocolate in one unit. with wood.

Boolit Master

3 people = 8X8, out-door carpet on floor, shingle roof or out-door carpet over tin to cut down noise of rain or falling nuts, etc. Windows = plex-i-glass, hinged outside and swing down. Keeps rain & snow out so inside does not get wet and rot. Would also build with-in a group of trees.

Larry

Boolit Grand Master

A tin roof in the rain is the most relaxing sound puts me right to sleep. LOL

ditto ..find some telly phone poles for the legs ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Three people with a heater..... 8x8.
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master

Build it close to the deer. Most folks put the blind too far away.

Boolit Master
    If you watch the suns direction and extend the slanted roof out farther it will help with the sun. Also it keeps the rain out.

Boolit Master
    Extend eaves on all sides. Plexiglass windows hinged on the inside of the blind and strings to hold them up. If yoy put windows on all sides either darkened plexiglass or some other way so you aren't silhouetted. I wouldn't use a large heater. Brother and I send time last November in 15-25 temps with each having a small heater. He had a "Black Cat" and I had a simple heater on top of a 16 oz propane bottle. A friend had asked him to put in big windows so he could bow hunt. Too much ventilation. Don't make blind too small. Heaters ,guns ,snacks, coolers, chairs and people all take up room. This was my first time in an elevated deer blind. In cold windy weather it was very nice. Blind was about 10 feet high to floor.

Boolit Master

Here is a picture of the elevated blind my son and I built about three years ago. As you see it is about six feet off the ground and is built on a section of old schaffolding he had on hand. We use the rungs on the schaffolding to gain access through a trap door in the floor. Once inside the door is hinged down and it is all usable floor space. I believe it is about 6X8. I agree with the others that 4X8 would be too small. The windows are old ones salvaged from an old house. They were once double hung type. I took them apart and used each section with hinges at the top. The windows have small hook on the bottom rail and I simply hook them on a loop of heavy string to keep them open. I have not done it but need to put some shelving for holding things so it all is not on the floor. I also plan to make a shooting rest on each window made up of a piece of electrical conduit with insulated sleeves over it to rest the rifle. Each would be removeable so the window can open and close. Paint the inside a dark color so deer cannot see in and put some old carpeting on the floor to muffle the noise when you are moving around. If placed in a good location they are very effective and work extermely good. We use a Mr. Heater on a propane bottle for heat. We just bring a thermos of coffee and don't do any food prep in the "hunting condo". Be sure and situate it so you are not looking at the morning sun. Lastly Just Do It! You will be glad you did.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4405.jpg  
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I built a portable 2 piece blind some years back. It was 4x8 and came apart in the middle for transport. It really helped my wife hunt in conditions she wouldn't of otherwise endured. I had to remove it at seasons end. It worked great and the portability made repositioning easier.

If I were in your position I would consider building it on a wagon or trailer, whatever is cheap/free. It would allow you to move the blind around even between the farms. Having used a 4x8 I would recommend going 12x8 or whatever size the cheap/free wagon is. You want to be able to shoot from inside and 4' makes that tough.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master
    I would highly suggest that it be built where it can be closed up. Critters tend to tear up chew up or nest in what ever you may leave behind. Buddy built one years ago that was nice but open. It lasted a couple of years. The critters and elements took its toll pretty quick. I have another that was built in the 80's and it is still going fine, shingled roof, insulated and heated. It was all done over time and added too.
    4x8 is fine IMHO. Keeps one from bringing to much with them.

Moderator Emeritus

All suggestions sound great, and my addition might be, too -- if not a "tree" or otherwise elevated/off ground structure -- keep it as low as possible. As close to being in line with natural trees, brush, rocks, etc. Around this neck of woods, deer fit right in with lo-profile brush piles and the like -- avoiding high structures. Part of the natural defense system of deer is to have a reasonable view of the area they're in -- more re predators than guys & gals with rifles.
    BEST!
    georgerkahn

Boolit Grand Master
    I've built a number of these on my land and it never ceases to amaze me how much room one person actually needs.You will be taking a lot more things with you and the "extra" room you thought you had is no more.What ever design you build give yourself more room than you think you need.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Bub

Another thing to consider is to build it as Wasp proof as possible. Keep things tight, but make sure to incorporate some ventilation (with screen). We add 1/4" hardware cloth under our screens to help protect from big critters as well as the little ones. Also, remember to toss a bug bomb in that sucker before the beginning of deer season. It will get rid of any wasps that have found a way in.

I like to place stands facing North if possible. It keeps the sun at your back and not in your face.
    "Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight" ~Col. Jeff Cooper~

Banned

You fellas are spoiled. I hang in a ladder stand with all the weather.
    They can be on the ground too because deer get used to a structure. Raising one lets you see farther and shoot farther. I have deer in the yard all year and could shoot from my deck. It loses something about hunting so I will not do it. Spot and stalk or track in snow is hunting. Even a stand you are not hidden in is hunting.
    I have squirrels at my bird feeder all the time so should I lift a window to shoot them?
    When the mulberries are falling in my yard, I take my little dog for a potty and she will sit and watch deer. They have come within 10' of us. I could take a gun, kill it and brag about how great a hunter I am, like the video shows on TV. How about a dish and TV to watch next?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast