RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: H&R Stub Barrel

I epoxied a 16" UZI 9mm barrel inside a aluminum frame hammerless Savage 12 gauge years ago. It worked, was super accurate. But the firing pin was too large and would pierce some primers. This and the 9 # weight made me convert it back to 12 gauge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Can a .45 cal ML barrel be used with a 45-70 chamber to use patched round ball seated inside the case? Maybe a card wad on top and a slight roll crimp? Of course it would be Black powder only. Am I crazy?

I'm actually considering doing this with a 50 cal muzzleloader barrel and a 50-70 Govt. reamer.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

John Taylor, your 28 gauge rifle sounds similar to one of my dream guns- a Topper rifle in .577 Snider. I'll be watching this!

When I made the barrel I made a spare that got used for a 577 Snider .
    Using a muzzle loading barrel might work except the rifling on a round ball barrel would be to deep and have to slow a twist for bullets. Green Mountain has both 45 and 50 caliber cartridge barrels that run a little over $100. Should be no problem going from 12 gauge to 45-70 or 50-70

I get your point. For basically the same money the ctg barrel would be better. I was thinking used ml barrel at first.

I see a 44-40 blank on GM's site that looks interesting. Would it work on the casehardened Topper action pressure wise?

It isn't case hardened, it's ductile iron. The hardening colors are decorative. It would work fine for the 44-40....you might have to do some firing pin work.

I'm referring to a Pre NEF H&R Topper 1970's vintage. I have three and when I got my first one in 1972 the catalog said "Color Case Hardened Reciever". The colors are richer than a Ruger Old Vaquero- which had a case hardened "finish". I think Case Hardening was affordable till Doug Turnbull learned how to do it! I'm joking. Thanks for the firing pin tip- it is something to pay attention to.

I'm aware of that. The same frame was used on the "Shikari" in .45-70 and .44 mag. It's just a decorative surface treatment.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

I'm not arguing with you and am willing to concede to your statement if you provide proof. That said, I have none to support my position except memories of something I read 45 years ago.......
    Best, Thomas.

I had the same experience with the same gun and instructions, etc. I thought that it was real also until I got a little overzealous while cleaning and found out it wasn't real.
    Check over here:
    http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r...re-rifles.html

These guys will tell you the same thing.
    In any case, they're great shotguns and rifles and I was real sorry to see H&R and NEF quit making them.
    I blame it on Remington.

Thanks. My old Toppers colors are so vivid It's unreal. My Topper Jr. 20 gauge kept us a good supply of wild game when I was a kid. It is a shame they died; first as H&R- then NEF. I saw a Stevens single the other day that seems to be of that pattern. Let's hope they resurrect these wonderful guns.

I epoxied a 16" UZI 9mm barrel inside a aluminum frame hammerless Savage 12 gauge years ago. It worked, was super accurate. But the firing pin was too large and would pierce some primers. This and the 9 # weight made me convert it back to 12 gauge.

Deja Vu all over again. This time I bushed both ends of the Uzi 18-1/2" and epoxied them to the barrel. Then I drilled & tapped a retention screw at the muzzle. If it works well it can be converted back to 12 ga in minutes. A toy to play with until I decide what to do on the stub project.....

Boolit Master

I see a 44-40 blank on GM's site that looks interesting. Would it work on the casehardened Topper action pressure wise?

The 44-40 has about 13,000 psi, the same as a 410 shotgun. The bolt trust would be the same as a 410 also. A 12 gauge shotgun has about 5,000 pounds of bolt thrust which is real close the bolt thrust of a 45-70.

Thank you, John. The tapered case should help ejection too.

Deja Vu all over again. This time I bushed both ends of the Uzi 18-1/2" and epoxied them to the barrel. Then I drilled & tapped a retention screw at the muzzle. If it works well it can be converted back to 12 ga in minutes. A toy to play with until I decide what to do on the stub project.....

Some pics and a correction. The 9mm barrel is 20" long. In the blind hog/acorn category it shoots well and the empties pluck out easily by finger power.

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For by grace are you saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God. Not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8,9

They make a dandy light rifle. This is one I built on a 12 ga sb1 frame with a green river gunsmith blank. 45 acp and it's a shooter. Have a couple lined up to be 357 mags in the next few months. I use the threaded stub method with a barrel shoulder. Just make sure to index off the chamber and not the outside of the tube. I've seen more than one that wasn't a centered or even close to true bore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0373.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    This is a very neat process but unless you have the tools and the abilities to do it yourself the costs of having it done are just too much. You could just buy an MGM barrel in your choice of chambering for your Contender or Encore and be done.

That is what I want. In 44-40 with iron sights, I think.

Firebyprolong, what does your .45 acp carbine weigh? And bravo on the scope choice!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast