Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: making short 12ga shells

making short 12ga shells

I am looking for ideas on what to use to quicky and evenly cut about a half inch off a loaded 2.75" shotshell. I am in the process of making several hundred short shells for my kid to shoot in a keltec ksr.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

A piece of 3/4 copper tubing cut to length from front of rim to cut line would allow the cases to be slipped in against rim and a xacto knife or pipe cutter to be used to remove offending length. 2 pieces of wood with the appropriate sized hole and proper length would allow the same and to be clmped in a vise more solidly. Make it 6"-8" long add 2 dowels one side press fit one slip fit and a spring. Drill case hole on end so it is outside vise jaws. now vise can be opened and case inserted removed with out removing from vise. Hacksaw with a fine blade, jewelers saw, xacto knife. Also you may want to look at hardware store at the scissor type cutters for PVC pipe these might do a nice job quickly with a length stop added to them so you dont have to measure each one.

You could try one of these thingamabobs:http://www.siarm.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=493
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Man
    Putting a given recipe into a shorter case than it was designed for can raise pressures significantly.

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Sitsinhedges View Post
    Putting a given recipe into a shorter case than it was designed for can raise pressures significantly.
    True statement, but doesn't attempt to answer my question.

BB

Quote Originally Posted by gds45 View Post
    I've used that saw for trimming 223 brass converted to 300 blackout, i'll have to try it on plastic.

BB

I like the copper pipe idea, will give that a go as well.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    A piece of 3/4 copper tubing cut to length from front of rim to cut line would allow the cases to be slipped in against rim and a xacto knife or pipe cutter to be used to remove offending length. 2 pieces of wood with the appropriate sized hole and proper length would allow the same and to be clmped in a vise more solidly. Make it 6"-8" long add 2 dowels one side press fit one slip fit and a spring. Drill case hole on end so it is outside vise jaws. now vise can be opened and case inserted removed with out removing from vise. Hacksaw with a fine blade, jewelers saw, xacto knife. Also you may want to look at hardware store at the scissor type cutters for PVC pipe these might do a nice job quickly with a length stop added to them so you dont have to measure each one.

I have been asked about load data for these mini shells but I am not comfortable giving out this information. Sorry.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

BB:

+1 on the copper pipe idea. I used plain old carbon steel pipe though. 3/4" is perfect for 12 ga. I made them from 3" down to 2" just 'cause I might want them some time.

I have a lathe so I hacksawed to approx. length then turned both ends smooth and exact length. I use an Olfa utility knife and it slices the hull off nicely.

I just reread and realize you are wanting to cut loaded shells but the pipe idea should still work fine. Cheap and easy and gives consistent results. You might have to roll the shell around to cut around the outside whereas with an empty hull I just cut right cross.

Longbow

Hah! the "thingamabob" pic just came up. I didn't know they had thingamabobs in Denmark. Live and learn! Looks more complicated and expensive than a piece of pipe and a knife though (I'm cheap).
    Last edited by longbow; 02-09-2015 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Added note

Boolit Buddy

Ballistic products make something for cutting shells if it doesn't pan out.

LB,

Apparently Harbor Freight has made it to europe. That little chop saw works great for rough sizing brass, not sure what will happen if I plunge the blade into the lead shot.

BB

Boolit Master

I'm cheaper! Mark hulls, sticks appropriate size dowel in hull, use tubing cutter. Now that I've shared that terrific insight, how about a review of that Keltec. And Ive always wondered about that avatar! Looks like a 63 Ford Falcon, didn't know they could really fly!

HT,

When my son was in flight school learning to fly the F16 Falcon I found my avatar pic and sent it to him for a project he was working on. I never looked up the history of the pic to see if it real or photoshop.

I don't like the KSR, or any bullpup, chamber too dang close to my head! My wife and son thinks it's the best thing sinice sliced bread. They both compete in local 3-guns were speed and magazine capacity are highly valued. Their KSR will hold 21 of my shorty shells.

BB