WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Another Hollywood Press Gets Away

Boolit Mold

Unhappy Another Hollywood Press Gets Away

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hollywood-Se...torefresh=true

This is my Grail press. Was just wondering if anyone here got it.

Looks like I need to adjust my expected purchase price. Way up.

Boolit Master
    That was a premo press that went for crazy money!

Cheers to the buyer!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Crazy's right!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

WOW ! .....beautiful press , and what a price !
    Makes me feel real good about my plain jane Senior ....
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

May I ask as to how this is a special press which commands so much coin??

Boolit Bub
    The shipping wasn't cheap either. Hope that buyer is still around when it comes time to sell mine.

Shipping was more than what I would spend on a total amount.

Someone posted not long ago if the younger generation would buy and care for these special items of history. I would say not, at least in my budget, if they are bought for that much $$$!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elginrunner View Post
    May I ask as to how this is a special press which commands so much coin??
    The TallBoy

1 - the tallest Hollywood single stage, tall enough for 50BMG, and it IS taller than the Aluminum model

2 - Besides being iron, it has the swaging Rod for stability and safety of not only Swaging, but full length resizing of large cases like the 50,

3- has the removable 7/8 x14 bushing which converts it to 1 1/2 x 12 dies for Shot shell, 50BMG, or Big Game Cartridges.

4- has the back bushing (size escapes me) above ram for adding Powder Measure/ Shot Measure bar for accompanying measures.

5- it has an 18 inch long handle vs 14 inch for greater leverage and ease and comfort.

6- hard to find, first one I've seen online in 2-3 years.

7- if you're into BEEF, this is your boy, one cornfed heavy SumBuck!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

300LW

I have been keeping track of most of the Hollywoods for sale, here, flea bay and other auction sites and the price it sold for was about right. I've seen 4 to 5 go by in the last 5 to ten years at this price, ten to 15 ago they were averaging
    around $300.00 ea. I guess with inflation nowdays and more collectors/reloaders wanting the best model Single senior Hollywood made, a person will have to pay the going market rate. Now if someone made up a few single tops???

If you want to compare the HW senior single stages, look at my avatar, the tall boy is third from the right on the top shelf.

HGS

one at a time

Boolit Master
    I played with one of those at a gunshop once. The linkage does not have all that much power.
    That is all that matters to me. No Thanks
    EDG

If you don't load 50BMG, a steel RCBS A2 is stronger, have more leverage, will last as long and will cost 1/3 that amount. The Hollywood has become a cult item and brings prices it does not merit from pure performance standpoint.

Back in the day, when these things were just a part of the reloading equipment market, there were the most costly. Their super duper turret presses has some fans such as Phil Sharpe, because of all the various dies, shell holders and primer arms that could be mounted. But they were so pricey that I never saw one in use and frankly there were an answer to question nobody was asking.

The singe stage Hollywood presses didn't sell well as they cost several times what the lowly Pacific C press cost, and didn't load ammo one bit better.

RCBS with their A series presses dominated the market for the folks that wanted to swage bullets or do heavy duty case reforming. They were the King and Queen of the single stage reloading presses.

Now fast forward a half century and Hollywood presses have taken on a cult status, they did not occupy during the time they were made. The are certainly of interest to the vintage reloading press collectors, but as a using tool, they are a waste of money.
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 02-10-2015 at 11:26 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master

Complete waste of money. I know the buyer sets the price but there is nothing about that press that makes it worth that much.

I have that exact same press, right up to the same center bushing. It's an excellent press for swaging, and for those who say it doesn't have any more leverage than an RCBS haven't changed to the swaging holes in the linkage that are just for swaging. It's much taller than my shorter Senior press, and makes it much easier to load my .45-120 ammunition on. That 3.25" case just barely fits in my Rockchucker and smaller Senior, leaving no room for bullet seating, but is easy to load on the large Senior.

I've got a Corbin CSP-1 for bullet swaging, and the tall Hollywood Senior has just about the same leverage for swaging when the swaging holes in the linkage are used. The Hollywood was well made and has withstood the test of time. There is a smoothness to them that is lacking in most of the more modern equipment, and if you appreciate fine tooling, then the Hollywood will fill the bill.

As for the price it sold for, it must have been worth that to the buyer, so who's to say it wasn't the right price, at least for him?

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Lubedude: since CharGar says Hollywoods are a waste of money, you need to sell me your Super Turret. I will give you the princely sum of $1.00. You pay shipping.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Another Hollywood Press Gets Away

Kevin, I didn't know that you were a 420 guy?

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Master

Seller started the bidding at $200. All you need is two guys who want it bad enough, and the price can skyrocket!
    Jon

$700+ for a single stage is a lot. May be worth it to some one that needs it to complete a collection but pretty silly in my book. Then again I would manufacture them for that price if I could sell them for that (so would everyone else though).

I would say it is on par with this.
    http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archi...1-COUPE-115971
    "got away" at over 60x original value...

That said eBay can be your friend. After sandy hook I sold a 650 for more than $1800, to someone that couldn't wait. 3 weeks later I had a new 1050 to replace it. He was happy, as was I.
    Last edited by jmorris; 02-11-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Boolit Master

Yes, $700 for that press is excessive to say the least.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Kevin, I didn't know that you were a 420 guy?

Hey, I was just "agreeing" with him. What he said makes <cough><cough> "perfect" sense to me.

Ok, I'll split the cost of shipping.

Gimme-gimme.

Boolit Master

Another Hollywood Press Gets Away

Hahaha!

Well to get to get me thinking your way, you better share!

But then I don't smoke anything whatsoever.

However, there's other ways!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD