Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: steel case 223

Boolit Master

steel case 223

Does anyone know of a rifle that will work with the lacquered steel case ammo? Have not tried in an AR platform yet. Sticks in the bolt and single shots.

Maybe polish the chambers? Need some help with this.

Thanks in advance.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

worked fine in a couple of my rifles (ruger #3 single shot, Mini-14, XM177E AR shorty)

Yes cleaning and polishing the chamber may help. Can you give more particulars on your problem?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    The guns. Ruger #3, H&R Handi, Savage bolt. Have to punch out the case after every shot. The empty case will not extract. Very frustrating. Like the lacquer is softening and sticking to the chamber.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Buddy

I tried a magazine full thru my Bushmaster AR. First round down the barell jammed the bolt. A few hours of Kroil soaking and a wooden dowel and hammer all was fine. I gave the other 19 plus two other boxes I ad to my stepson for his single shot 223, his eats em just fine. Fine steel particles can get into or under the bolt key in an AR from those Russian bullets and prevent the key from clearing the bolt lugs. The coating on the steel can gum up the bolt as well. I had a stoppage on the very first one I tried and I think I'll stick to brass cases from now on. Again my stepsons single shot eats em just fine so far.

JD

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Here ya go, a test has been done, weapons fired till to hot to touch and Magpul sights melted off: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

I would not hesitate to shoot any of the steel stuff, I have had up to 7 reloads from steel cases also. Resisized with Lanolin/HEET lube, LEE dies, easy as butter.

Anytime you can get more trigger time is good time!

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Buddy
    Works in my mini-14 and other normal ars but my ruger sr556 that's piston driven (ar) will not shoot them, they get stuck and its a pain in the butt to clear the case. I still have a pile of wolf someone gave me I need to take the mini out and run through them..
    Hope for change.

Boolit Master
    My s&w ar eats steel just fine. Havent ever had a prob. Ive heard from a friend that heat in the chamber can cause lacquer to gum up the works, but since yours was on the first round, id say rough chamber.

Boolit Master

I bought a box of that stuff years ago and it worked fine. I never bought more. I wouldn't change anything about my AR for the purpose of using cheap ammo. That's just me.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    Here ya go, a test has been done, weapons fired till to hot to touch and Magpul sights melted off: http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

I would not hesitate to shoot any of the steel stuff, I have had up to 7 reloads from steel cases also. Resisized with Lanolin/HEET lube, LEE dies, easy as butter.

Ken
    Good read, thanks.
    Hope for change.

I knew Screwbolts would chime in on this one. One thing I would add, When I used some steel cases I dumped them on a towel and gave them a light mist of mineral spirits and rolled them in the towel to disperse the mineral spirits and clean off the loose lacquer. Small base sizing dies may also help If reloading the steel cases. If I get to the range during the summer months an I find steel cases lying around and they are not rusted I pick em up and use them. The mineral spirits works well to keep them from rusting prior to reloading too.

Read some test a couple years ago. Results were Russian steel ammo cut barrel life in half. Rifles with chrome lines bores fared somewhat better. Equalizer was this. With a barrel cost of around $200. Compared to shooting ammo costing more. You figure the math but whatever the going price is on Wolf vs LC M193. Was still cheaper to shoot junk then buy a new barrel twice as often. With the price of USA made ball ammo down. I'd guess that math does not work right now. I just reload. It is a lot of work but does not cut into my TV time so much I can't handle it.

I have used a good amount of steel in the past and nary the problem through 9 different rifles.

Thankfully I reload now and don't use it anymore as its accuracy was subpar.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post

Ken
    I read that also , and steel cases resulted in only about 1 per thousand rounds fired, failure to eject , but the copper washed steel jacketed bullets caused barrel life to be used up in less than half the life of a barrel that only fired copper jacketed 223

Boolit Master
    Thanks to everyone for the info.swamp

Boolit Master

+1Screwbolts. I use a Baikal o/u 223/12ga with Wolf steel reloads. Lee dies to prep cases, no problem with extraction and still accurate.

Boolit Master
    Gave them another try today. Worked fine in the ARs. Just a few stuck in the others. Giving the chambers a good cleaning with a peice of scotchbrite seemed to help.
    swamp

"Flitz" on a mop with a electric drill - smooooth chamber
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Are you shooting 223 or 5.56 ammo? The 5.56 runs at a higher pressure than 223 and also the chambers are cut slightly different for each.

Boolit Master
    The ammo is Wolf and Tula 5.56. ( I am aware of the differance between them, thanks)
    The 223 chambers might be on the tight side of specs. Polishing helped.

Banned

The lacquer on the ammo is a myth. The problem is the steel case does not has the elasticity of brass. It doe not contract like brass so it swells up to the chamber and it is stuck. Carbon will also make this worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast