Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: K31 CB question

Boolit Buddy

K31 CB question

Hello everyone

I just slugged my bore of my 1943 k31 rifle and the measurements are .304 grooves and .306 for the lands. I also pulled a jacketed bullet from a PPU 7.7 X55 swiss cartridge and if measured out at .306. Does anyone have a suggestion or suggestions for a CB mold for this round. I would really love to get a spitzer mold and I understand that Lyman made one for the K31 in the past but I have not been able to find that mold. Please any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

If someone does have a recommendation on a mold what size of the mold could be used to resize down to. I am not sure is a .306 mold is around and besides I would think being cast one might want it a little larger like maybe .308? or is this to big?

Thanks
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth. George Washington
    It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first. Ronald Reagan
    The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon. George Washington
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security. Thomas Jefferson

Try Bernie at Old West Molds.He made a nice 2 cavity brass for my K31.Shoots well when I do My bit.

I used to shoot the Lee C-312-155-2R in mine with very good results. I sized the boolits to .308". Had no problem shooting little groups with it at 2000 fps with nearly any reasonable rifle powder I tried. Wonderful rifles! That was back when you had to use .284 Win cases. Now that you can get the real thing it should be even easier.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Noe Bullet Molds makes a .311 180 gr FN especially for the K31. They have them in stock on page 5 under the 308 to 311 category on the left side of the home page.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Master
    Got my mold from Swede Nelson. Get him the dimensions and you'll get a mold made to fit your rifle.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Most of the Lee 30 caliber moulds are somewhat undersized. I use a lee 180 grain mould that casts right at 308 diameter. Tis is a tad too small for a 308 bore but is just right for the K31. Accuracy with WW 748 is right around 1 1/4" at 100 yards.

Boolit Bub
    I shoot the lee 170 gr fn in my K31 sized to .309
    It chambers and cycles without a problem.

My made in 1950 SIG has a .294 bore, .306 groove. I use a 168gr Eagan bullet, the 30AR sized to .308, also the Ideal 308329 spitzer which gets a lot more nose support in that tight bore vs a standard US bore. What type of K31 bullet did you get from Bernie 300SAV? He doesn't have an online selection to look at, you got a picture? The NOE K31 bullet dropped too big for my bore, I had to seat it with the check below the neck/shoulder junction, but it still shot ok, I'll keep the mold around for when the throat gets longer.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    I get good results with the Lee 155gn 7.62x39 bullet(mould No.90385), gas checked to .309.
    This bullet is accurate out to 300 yards+ in my '55 vintage k31.

ukrifleman

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Lyman 311414 mold for the 300 Savage. Gas checked and sized to .309. Fits the throat and shoots well.
    The Lyman 311414 is out of production, but I think NOE had a groupbuy awhile back, might have some in stock.
    The LEE 155 7.62x39 is a good substitute at a low price. Only draw back is you can't push them or the 311414
    real hard, as they will open your groups, If kept at 1400/1600 fps they are very accurate.
    webfoot10