Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anything else shoot like a 1911?

Does anything else shoot like a 1911?

Since deer, duck, and grouse seasons have wrapped up here, i have been trying real hard to improve my handgun shooting. Ive been trying to stick with one load for each cartridge, but of course that attempt is slippery at best since i only have a small amount of most powders and there is no consistent ability to resupply with what i am looking for

Fortunately i have an 8# keg of (whatever) due to arrive soon so at least i can work some loads, then get some practice with same load

My favorite guns at the moment are my 10.5" super blackhawk (44 mag), my cimarron/pietta new frontier 4.75" (45 colt) and my sti spartan 5" 1911 (45 acp)

Every load combo, every day, every shot string, my 1911 outshoots the others. At any distance. My shooting beyond about 30 yds is spotty, and beyond 50 yds just plain sucks. Still, i can hit a paper plate at 50 yds more consistently with the 1911 as the SBH

SO... What else out there shoots like a 1911? I think the grip angle, height of sights, and straight-pull trigger are responsible for my extreme prejudice toward this firearm.

Are there any revolvers that compare? How about modern semi autos, what is the closest to a 1911?

I know john browning was a genius, and he obviously considered things that others before and since failed to consider. But am i crazy to think that the ergonomics and weight balance could not be translated to the single action revolver arena?

The reloading slide action upon firing must have something to do with it too, as it changes the post-hammer-drop movement of the gun.

In case the answer is: "1911 is simply the best there is", how do lightweight commanders compare in the shooting dept? The new ruger offering is calling my name

Boolit Grand Master

A CZ75 points more naturally than a 1911 for me. They're available in all types of configurations. But what works for me may not work for you. As much as I like my 1911s I pull out the CZ first every time.

S&W or Colt 357 magnum.
    Ruger GP-100 is good also.
    My old model 27 would shoot 1 inch at 25 yards with most any load.
    S&W triggers are second to none.
    STI ranger is said to be accurate and the RIA MS shoots good also and not as expensive.
    Lots of 4 inch 1911's and commanders will shoot plenty good for SD and make a good EDC.
    Last edited by 45r; 02-08-2015 at 07:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like more load development is needed in your Ruger. Consider Bisley grip frame option. Any L or N framed Smith in your caliber of choice would also get my nod.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 02-08-2015 at 08:01 PM.

Love Life
    They (1911) are easy guns to shoot. Do any other guns shoot like them? Do you mean as accurately? Sure.

Will the ergonomics be the same for you? Probably not. The only way to find out is to buy more guns!

Boolit Master
    I find that my Browning Hi-Power shoots as well or better than my 1911's, has to do with the size of the gun, it has a fatter grip, fits my hand better.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    The EAA Witness guns, CZ clones, do point similarily but there is nothing quite like that 1911 trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    I find that my Browning Hi-Power shoots as well or better than my 1911's, has to do with the size of the gun, it has a fatter grip, fits my hand better.
    I figured the hi-power would be mentioned, but unfortunately ive never shot one and they are priced pretty high when i can find one. A fatter grip is NOT what i need, in fact i think the slim grip of the 1911 is a big part of the reason i shoot it so well.

I owned a cz97 in 45 acp. Sent it down the road within a few months of owning the 1911, the difference (to me) was stark

I really like the grip angle on my imi baby eagle 9mm, which seems to be a jericho 941 which is a combo of cz75 and 1911 engineering, from what i understand. That gun will never leave me...it's my only gun with NO failures of any kind in its lifetime, and it is a club to boot. SHTF it will be on my hip. (while the 1911 rides inside the waistband a bit further back...)

But the trigger on the da/sa imi gun is nothing compared to the staged squeeze of the 1911

I have a ruger gp-100, smith model 19 too. To me, they dont shoot nearly as well as the 1911.

Yes, im talking accuracy. Not from ransom rest, but in the 2-handed off-hand version of handgun shooting that i like to practice.

Any other suggestions? I know this is all personal, so i am asking you other fans of the 1911 platform which guns, if any, feel the same to shoot as a 1911. Maybe im not phrasing my question properly, but.. .yeah, it's mostly about the straight trigger pull, and the relationship of grip angle to sight height. Secondary is the recoil character of round being shot

Thanks for all the replies so far

For me the CZ-52 points exactly where I want it to, the 1911 seems to start 6-8 inches high and I have to bring it down.

I have a couple of homemade snap caps, and I play a little game in the living room when my wife is at work.

Pull the clip, chamber a snap cap, hammer back ready to go.

Pick an object like one of the knickknacks on the shelves.
    Close my eyes, point and as the hammer drops look to see how close I was to my target.

Or, point with eyes closed and see how fast I can adjust and fire.
    With a little practice you can get down to a couple of seconds.

At the range my CZ-52 groups where significantly smaller at all distances.
    Although I think with a consistent load and more practice I think I could shrink those.

I suspect the the Springfield Armory XDS series may be what you are looking for.
    And I saw someone had a 1911 clone shooting .38 special/.357 mags which seemed pretty interesting.

bhn22
    Lessee... Square butt S&W K & L frames. Colt "O" frames, Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskans or Toklats. Beretta 92s & 96s. Generally, the grips make all the difference in a revolver. I tried almost every grip make for S&W J frames before settling on Pachmayer Compac Professionals. Hogue finger groove or non-fingergroove on square butt S&Ws, wood only of course. Revolvers generally have a pretty high bore axis, and that can be bothersome to some people.

Boolit Master
    They don't get much press anymore but I really like my Sigs, not as well as my 1911s but very close. I have some of the traditional DA/SA guns with the short trigger and short trigger reset and they do shoot very well. Might be worth a look.
    See Some of My Holster Work Here:
    www.whitetigerleatherworks.com

Boolit Grand Master
    CZ75 is just an awesome pointing handgun.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Bub
    The Ruger 22/45 was designed to feel like a 1911, I'm not sure it's what you're looking for but it's an option.

Boolit Master
    K frame .38 Specials are also very user-friendly and accurate.
    Rule 303

It's well known that the Tokarev pistols are a design improvement on the 1911. Also that the 1911 and other supposed "Browning" designs were copied from famous Russian designer Regus Patoff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JHeath View Post
    It's well known that the Tokarev pistols are a design improvement on the 1911. Also that the 1911 and other supposed "Browning" designs were copied from famous Russian designer Regus Patoff.
    I think you are confusing him with Irish inventor Pat Pending...

Boolit Master
    Try a sig p220. They are a single stack 45 in a DA/SA action. Most people report exceptional accuracy from them, and my German made version is no exception. The single action trigger is about the best I have felt on a stock semi auto pistol.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Mind you I have only shot Colt 1911s since the 60s.
    A friend let me shoot his P220 Sig, its now the only handgun in the safe.
    Puts any and every 1911 Ive ever shot to shame

They can have it, when they pry it from my cold dead hands
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Groo here
    I find the 1911 points like a double action revolver , where as a luger ,glock etc points like a single action revolver.
    It is the hump on the grip of a smith that gives you a more right angle bore to grip feel like a 1911.
    The single action [ not the Bisley, that is more upright] points naturally and this also translates to the luger.

Boolit Buddy

1911's just feel right in the hand. CZ75's and EAA Witness clones also feel good but the trigger isn't anything like the 1911. I've got a 9mm Witness that I used for competition. I love it but I'd get rid of it before I'd ever get rid of one of my 1911's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast