Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22lr

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    You gotta really be desperate for 22's to go down that road...........
    The future is still unknown. I'd like to have this tool and knowledge.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Real strike anywhere matches have been out of production for several years now and they are NOT easy to find...
    When I had the notion to find them, I did.

How to make strike anywhere matches

by benny8025

http://www.instructables.com/id/Stri...where-matches/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    When I had the notion to find them, I did.

You apparently are not reading the entire posts, I am not saying the strike anywhere types can't be found I am saying the ones you will find won't work! I have REPEATEDLY said that "strike anywhere" matches, such as they are anyway, are fairly easy to find but they are NOT the strike anywhere types like we had before 2010! These things are next to useless compared to the old matches and the tip (the only usable part) is so tiny, as now mandated by Government regulations, that even if you can get it separated cleanly without it being mixed with the unusable part of the head it will be just a very tiny piece! I suppose it's possible to break down a LOT of matches and get a usable amount but I think most people are going to be surprised to find just how little of an amount of this material they can get from a whole box of these things, that amounts to a staggering price for such a small amount of material and that's IF you can manage to separate them cleanly. Some of the manufacturers, as I mentioned above, are even coloring more of the head to make the tip look larger than it really is which makes it impossible to see where the actual tip stops and the unusable head starts.

The biggest market for these things is the survivalists and campers and these folks have been screaming to high heaven about the poor quality of what is sold for strike anywhere matches these days, THAT'S why the old ones bring such obscene prices on E-Bay.

For those who want to deny the lack of availability of real matches all I can say is go ahead and buy a bunch of the goofy things and see for yourself what a lot of us already learned a couple of years ago during the primer shortage, there was even a couple of discussions about it right here on this forum.

BTW Wilco the box you have pictured is no longer available and has not been made for over 5 years now, that's the highly desirable "Red&White" version that brings the obscene prices on E-bay. What you are going to find is that lot's of dealers picture the old box (the one they know everyone wants!) but when you order them you will get the "Greenies" as they are becoming known. You will not find the ones you have pictured there! Not for anything short of collector's pricing anyway unless you just happen to find some NOS stock sitting on a shelf somewhere but good luck with that!
    Last edited by oldred; 03-01-2015 at 11:23 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Wouldn't these be better than using match heads?
    http://www.tintoyarcade.com/super-ba...-72-shots.html
    Our Super Bang red strip caps are super loud! You get 9 red strips with 8 shots on each ribbon for a total of 72 shots. You can also pop these caps apart for use in ring shot cap guns.
    Regards
    John

For those who want to deny the lack of availability of real matches all I can say is go ahead and buy a bunch of the goofy things and see for yourself what a lot of us already learned a couple of years ago during the primer shortage, there was even a couple of discussions about it right here on this forum.
    I don't see any "Deniers", all I see are "Complainers".
    You may have experience with different products and variations of strike anywhere matches, but the truth remains. If you want to do something, there's always a way to do it. It's up to the individual to decide the cost of venture and effort.
    Last edited by WILCO; 03-01-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WILCO View Post
    I don't see any "Deniers", all I see are "Complainers".
    You may have experience with different products and variations of strike anywhere matches, but the truth remains. If you want to do something, there's always a way to do it. It's up the individual to decide the cost of venture and effort.

You are missing the point entirely, I am not complaining I am pointing out something a lot of us already know from actually trying it in the past, quite obviously you have not! My point is and was that the people selling that tool are saying that priming material is easily obtained from matches when in fact this is misleading because it is not at all "easily" obtainable, at least not from what's sold today! Post all the links you can find to "Strike Anywhere" matches but you will still not be able to post a link to any that will work worth a darn, at least not for anything even close to a sensible price. The point of my posts is not about if such and such match is available it's that the seller of that kit is being misleading and anyone who buys that thing expecting to prime the cases using matches is going to be sorely disappointed! You keep posting links to matches but why don't you buy some of these things and see for yourself? That Amazon link you posted in the first reply is a good example of what I was talking about with the "picture one thing, send another" because the matches you will get are NOT the ones in that picture, those have been out of production for over 5 years now and what they will send will be the right brand all right but it will be the "GreenLight" version, what the campers have started calling the "Greenies" and not the highly sought after "Red&Whites" that would be needed to make priming material.

I don't see what the big deal is here, what I am talking about is no secret and the demise of the usable matches is well known! What you seem to be overlooking is that even if, and it's a big if, you can cleanly separate that tiny tip into usable material and, again IF that "Lawyered down" material is indeed usable, there will be so little of it gleaned from an entire box of these things it would be too expensive to use except in all but emergency cases!

Doesn't it seem at all odd to you that the old matches sell for so much? Why would that be?

This about sums up what I have been talking about,

http://kissurvival.com/strike-anywhere-matches/

Again the point is not so much about match availability it's about this thing being sold under the pretense that usable matches are easy to find but THEY DEFINITELY ARE NOT!

Check out the review on the Diamond brand that was used to show me how wrong I am. The only matches that fellow found acceptable were the Penelys but in the two years since that was written even these have become a thing of the past and the remaining usable matches of any brand still sold on E-Bay has skyrocketed in price since then. Ohio blue tips are the most sought after and the prices these bring are staggering!
    Last edited by oldred; 03-01-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    Wouldn't these be better than using match heads?
    http://www.tintoyarcade.com/super-ba...-72-shots.html

I tried those with the primers but I couldn't do much with them except for using them for ML caps. The problem is getting the material out of them unlike roll caps which can be (carefully!!!!) scraped off but this results in a loose powder that must be solidified somehow. That can probably be done, by that time I was losing interest in making primers because I didn't need to make them and it was more out of curiosity than anything else. Just knowing I could do it was enough and I laid in a huge stock of these caps just in case and then put the whole thing on the back burner, so to speak. The loose powder I wound up with could be used with a reasonable amount of success for reusing primer cups but the method I used would not work for a RF case, that's where it would have to be solidified into the rim somehow to be reliable. The caps do look promising and I think with a bit of tinkering they could be made to work but remember if you try them they are highly corrosive so that must be dealt with if any are fired.

Boolit Master

LOL, Apparently you didn't bother to read that article! I linked to that one myself before noticing you posted the same link, that is EXACTLY what I have been trying to say and in fact is the very reason why the new matches won't work! Just look at what the fellow has to say about the very product you used to try and show me how wrong I am about suitable matches being found,

Quote Originally Posted by from the article
    "Next I started searching for Diamond Strike Anywhere Matches and found that what Diamond produces now and calls a Strike Anywhere Match is only a sissified, neutered shell of what a real Strike Anywhere Match used to be"
    In your attempts to discredit what I said you post a link to an article saying the exact same thing????? This is what I have been saying all along (I clearly mentioned the "new" but useless product in almost every post) and I am not sure what your problem is with it, I saw what I perceived as a serious problem with that reloading kit and wanted to pass it on. I can only assume that since the guy asked if anyone had used this kit he wanted to know what we thought of it, while admittedly I have never used it I still saw what I think to be a problem worth pointing out but maybe you think if we don't have something good to say we shouldn't say anything?

Also the links you posted to about "making" strike anywhere matches are completely irrelevant for the purposes here, these are nothing more than applying a coating to the strike-on-the-box safety matches to make them light on any rough surface, this in no way produces a usable tip like on a real one so how in the world could that possibly relate to making primer material out of them?

Or maybe you mean that it's as simple as "If you can't buy strike anywhere matches to use for primers then just make your own matches"? Really?

Once more, this is not at all about whether or not a match can be found to strike on most surfaces, they can and I never said they couldn't be, it's about the fact that contrary to what that loading tool seller is trying make people believe suitable matches are NOT easy to find and what is sold today is a far cry from the old type that would be required to obtain reasonable amounts of usable priming material. There are matches sold as "strike anywhere" and I said that from the beginning but they are a VERY poor substitute for the old type and are not practical as a suitable priming material!
    Last edited by oldred; 03-01-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Boolit Master

Delete,

I thought I might have found something usable but the site is a bit confusing, will update when I get clarification.
    Last edited by oldred; 03-01-2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Corrected an error on the price

OK guys you have all missed a step.

According to the video.

They recommend pop caps as the primary source for the priming compound.

Scrap of the powder 1 drop of acetone
    And pack the wet mixture into the rim of the case. And let it dry.

You can also use the tips of the strike anywhere match's. Same way as above.

As for fun you can use the remainder of the match powder for propellent as well.

The tool there selling is a all in one tool mold / crimping tool.

So again the real trick is where do we get the Armstrong mixture. In a safe form.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong%27s_mixture

I've emailed some chemical company's that make it. Asking if it comes or could be made to come in a liquid form such as suspended in acotane or other fast drying liquid.

I have had no response yet.

Even still this is not practical. But would be fun to do.

Delete,

I thought I might have found something usable but the site is a bit confusing, will update when I get clarification.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    150 bucks or even the 70 dollar kit for a crimper and match heads? Not my cup of tea!
    How about if one wants to reload with match heads, just rake up spent cases at the range, bell the case mouth with the Lee Universal Expander (or a profiled bolt) and use a 223 H&I die for the crimp at 18 bucks. Turn the reload upside down in a Lyman Lube Sizer and drop the handle - you have a crimped case

Nine (9) of us in the States were lucky to buy a box of 5000 primed empty cases and had David Mos make custom molds of the old 40gr UMC Match bullet. Can reload 50 BP rounds in 20 minutes. FPS averages 1000-1200 using 4.5gr of Swiss FFFFg or Null-B. Shot strings average 100 plus with no bore cleaning or accuracy decrease

Attachment 132378 ... Stepping Back Into Time!
    I read that post. It was fantastic .

But a custom mold is going to cost me more than 80bucks I'm sure.

Boolit Master

Monkey you obviously still think match heads will work so all I can say is go ahead and buy a bunch of these things! I have already tried it and I can assure you it's a waste of time, Sure it's "possible" to do it with some (but by no means all) that are still sold but the tiny amount of material obtainable from even a whole box full of these things if you can get them separated ok is such a small amount it's simply not worth the expense or effort.

did you read this by any chance?

http://kissurvival.com/strike-anywhere-matches/

Old style from just a couple of years ago could still be found but that has changed drastically since then, sure they worked great but not these new junky things with the painted on tips so just try them and see for yourself. Anyone who pays the money for this tool expecting to use match heads has been warned!

Roll caps do work, they are very difficult to get much powder from but it is doable, I strongly suggest not accumulating more than very small amounts at a time, at least not while it's dry, as I found this stuff to be extremely easy to ignite and I was really surprised at how violent even tiny amounts can be.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey
    I've emailed some chemical company's that make it. Asking if it comes or could be made to come in a liquid form such as suspended in acotane or other fast drying liquid
    Good luck with that! You are asking about buying a high explosive!

You can get the chemicals separately from Skylighter, a pyrotechnics supplier, and mix your own but they won't sell some combinations of chemicals together so you might, or might not depending on what you buy, be able to get everything in one order but, surprisingly in this day of over-regulation, you can get it.

http://www.skylighter.com/

BE WARNED!!!!! This is some dangerous stuff you are talking about! When you start working with chemicals such as this you had better be very careful, this is nothing to take lightly! Keep everything in VERY small amounts and work safely and you will probably be ok but making even one mistake can be disastrous.

I have look into this some time ago before this kit was talk about and what would work is flash powder but it is not something to play with for how it is to handle and easy to go off if not careful.That is what roll caps is made of.I reload primers for rifle and hand gun and also shotgun.What I did find is that you give then a little of FFFFg or FFFg powder that it will help with going off easyer.But what is also found is that if you have the powder on top the primer or some of it very near to the primer that you reload that it will go off easyer, for rifle it will need to use COW or like I seen some where a small cut of toliet paper to hold the powder to the primer to have it go off the way it should other wise you will have a delay lke you would of a muzzle loader side hammer.I will stick with usen the thing to reload primers and as for the 22rf I will just make reduce loads for my trap line when I am down on 22rf.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Yup danger.

I'm going to work with pop cap and keep em wet. This project sounds like more work then its worth .

But hey isnt that what hobbies are for.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    Yup danger.

I'm going to work with pop cap and keep em wet. This project sounds like more work then its worth .

But hey isnt that what hobbies are for.

Approaching it with that attitude makes all the difference and with that a person is probably going to be happy with one of these kits, and if everyone looked at it rationally like that it would be a lot better. It's that sales pitch on the site that got me, all the huff and hype about $10 (or less) bricks of 22s is just not very realistic. The price estimates per brick are not unreasonable at all, even probable, and would almost certainly be somewhat cheaper than what they are selling for right now but the pitch that this thing is a good alternative to high priced 22s is something that needs some serious consideration. If it was being marketed as a SHTF tool to be able to load 22 RF when none were available then it would indeed look like a useful tool to have on hand if it was needed, and as you so correctly point out it does have a high "Hobby factor"! However comparing a $10 brick of highly corrosive RF ammo of questionable quality (due to the low tech priming) to modern factory 22s is a bit of a stretch even at current prices espicially when all the time and effort is factored in! By the time any useful amount of priming material is accumulated, converted into a semi-solid then packed into those cases the loader is going to have spent a heck of a lot of time and effort (along with more expense than most might think) in prepping these cases for loading, that part however just gets glossed over. Once that's done however the rest should be easy and usable rounds can then be made, albeit highly corrosive rounds.

At least those caps are cheap and a few dollars will buy a lot of them and it's a good thing they are so cheap because it takes a heck of a lot of them to produce any appreciable amount of powder. I found that by gently crumbling the strips I could get the top layer of paper to more easily peel off exposing the powder spots so it could be scrapped off into a GLASS (don't use metal!) dish or onto a piece of paper. It takes a lot of these things to make only a small amount of material but it doesn't need much for a primer cup, I would assume it would take at least three times as much to fill a 22 case rim.
    Last edited by oldred; 03-02-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast