Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22lr

Boolit Bub

22lr

Has anyone used the new 22LR reloader

Boolit Master
    Gotta link to what you are talking about???

Boolit Master

New 22 reloader?????????

Boolit Master

Are you talking about this?

http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/

If so I spent just a few minutes there and quickly saw some very questionable info, their sales pitch would do a used car salesman proud! Some of the things they are saying is misleading at best and some are simply outright lies (the part about the match heads for primers)! Check out their "reviews" if those are actual customer reviews then they must be well paid customers, way to slick and slanted to be real reviews. The part that really got me was the way they tried to impress on the potential buyer that strike anywhere matches were easy to get! Real strike anywhere matches have been out of production for several years now and they are NOT easy to find, it would be much easier finding 22 LR ammo instead! Sure you can find what is sold today for strike anywhere matches but those things don't even have enough ignition material on the tip to reliably light the match never mind trying to harvest enough of it to use for a primer, besides they are rather pricey considering the tiny amount of priming material that might (or might NOT) be obtained, good luck getting anything usable from what's available today. What's left of the real matches that are usable fetch staggering prices on Amazon and E-Bay and some of them are not really usable so be careful buying these things IF you can find any! The point is these people full well know that priming material is not nearly as simple as they are trying to impress upon customers, certainly they must know that the correct matches are not available yet they use words like "readily available", "commonly found", etc when they must know this is not true and has not been true for several years now! What other problems/difficulties are they glossing over?

Boolit Master
    Well, nice pictures on their website. Reloading 22rf has been around awhile. Talk about tedious!! It's one of those things that may be handy knowing…. just in case.

I would imagine the worst of the ABC brand bulk 22rf that shows on the market now would be ten times more reliable and accurate than anything that could be reloaded. Another potential problem I have thought about when this topic comes up is the priming compound. Unless I'm mistaken… isn't match head fouling corrosive?

Boolit Buddy

I'm not supporting the 22lr thing but strike anywhere matches are easy to find. I've easily got a few thousand and seen em in several stores, plus on line all over the place. Are they the originals? Nope, but they work well for me and only match I use. So the saying they are hard to fins isn't exactly true.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    223's are a PITA to reload! I cannot imagine messing with those tiny 22LR cases, scaping old primer out and then trying to pack new in. And messing with grinding match heads into primer mix.

You gotta really be desperate for 22's to go down that road..........in my book. I see 22's in the stores all the time. Not cheap as the used to be, but nothing is these daze! I find it cheaper to lite-load 9/30/38/40/45 than buy 22LR's

good luck to you if you do it! Let us know how it comes out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dhammer View Post
    I'm not supporting the 22lr thing but strike anywhere matches are easy to find. I've easily got a few thousand and seen em in several stores, plus on line all over the place. Are they the originals? Nope, but they work well for me and only match I use. So the saying they are hard to fins isn't exactly true.

They are almost non-existant anywhere else! The real ones I mean, I said you can buy what passes for "strike anywhere" matches now BUT the very tiny bit of priming material that makes the match light is just too small to be of any real use. Have you ever attempted to use these for primers? If so and they are working for you then great but for most of us what we have been able to find is simply useless and if a person buys this outfit expecting to use match heads I think they are going to be sorely disappointed. If the new ones were any good then why does the remainder of the old stock sell for such ridiculous prices on E-Bay? Government regulations from a few years ago (2010) limits the amount and type of explosive material used on matches now rendering what's called strike anywhere to be closer to strike "nowhere" and pretty much useless for primers, REAL strike anywhere that are useful for this purpose are indeed nearly impossible to find and very pricey when you do! Those of us who set about trying to find these things during the primer shortage discovered very quickly they simply are NOT available, at least the usable type and it's due to federal regulation!

Here's a couple of boxes of the real ones on E-Bay and they're "only" $40! But for that price you get TWO whole boxes, Lol!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-BOXES-DIAM...item35e4f400d4

I can assure you that if strike anywhere matches, such as they once were (and usable making primers), could still be easily found in any quantity they would not be commanding such goofy prices on E-Bay and even Amazon!

Matches such as these are not very hard to find and I even said you could find them but good luck doing anything with them!

http://www.acmeapproved.com/products...3-DhoC4vLw_wcB

When these so-called strike anywhere first came out the tiny bit of tip material (the ONLY part usable for priming) was just a tiny white speck on the red or green match head but now they appear to look more like matches of the old days. However, it's just a gimmick and I discovered that rather than actually improving the match by using more of this material the dang things are simply colored to look like the old ones and underneath that larger LOOKING tip is still the same useless tiny speck!

One more thing IF a person manages to get enough of that tip material to use (good luck on that!) then they are indeed very corrosive so both guns and cases, if the cases are to be reused again, need to be thoroughly cleaned after firing, the roll caps for cap pistols is even worse.
    Last edited by oldred; 02-09-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Boolit Master
    While the "idea" of being able to reload 22 is interesting and I personally like to know how to do stuff like this, I just couldn't justify trying it. Even at today's scalper prices I think a person would be much better off buying a lifetime supply (whatever you personally deem that to be) and stashing it back and spend their time on other more productive tasks. I relegate the reloading of 22lr to the realm of when/if the stuff hits the fan and we have a complete and total breakdown of society etc etc. If things are that bad, you'll be glad for your hoarded stash instead of having to try reloading it. Just think how long even one brick of 22lr would last if it was used ONLY for the procurement of food for the table instead of killing menacing tin cans, clay pigeons, and sheets of paper.... Just sayin.

Boolit Master

Couldn't agree more, back during the primer shortage when the talk was about reloading primers I discovered that while yes it CAN be done doesn't mean it should be done. With primers, even more so than 22 LR, it's certainly good to have the availability of a means to so if it came down to that or nothing but I couldn't imagine going to all that effort just for 22s. If it comes down to having to make EVERYTHING including primers then I would much rather spend that effort and the resources on a centerfire of some sort, without a doubt the 22 would be by far more difficult than simple primers. That's what bugged me the most about that site, the way they just over-simplified everything and tried to make it seem like a viable alternative to high priced rimfire ammo. Sure I guess it's possible to load a brick of 22 for the $8-$10 or so they mention but good gosh look at how much time and effort that brick would require, the monetary cost is insignificant compared to that. And once more obtaining priming material and getting it properly loaded into that rim would be difficult indeed, reloading the primers were not all that bad if it had been the only way but those of us that attempted to find an easy substitute to mixing our own compound discovered that it's not nearly as easy as they make it sound. I think there was a couple of threads here on this site dealing with those strike anywhere matches, I am sure there was at least one and I saw a couple more on other sites with the consensus that those matches that are available today are simply not worth the effort in spite of what is said on that site.

Boolit Master
    If I have to make everything , it's time to break out the flinter or rely much more heavily on my traps and my hammer

I trapped some preserve land this year with no guns allowed I figured out a few things that worked but my favorite
    I call it the peter paul and mary dispatch , if I had a hammer

I don't have to carry anything I don't already have to carry it works it is quite , it does have distance issues , I tried plenty of other things but they all left me carrying more weight , and I was full up hauling coons out

Boolit Master
    /\ yep, when it looked like I had all the primers I might ever get, I started looking into knapping decided that was probably beyoun my abilities and started setting asside more good english flints, against hard times , you know.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Bub
    Wow What a response

Boolit Master

Is that the one you were talking about? If so approach it with caution and read between the lines, IMO anyway it's far more gimmick than gadget and while it certainly looks workable and will probably do everything they suggest it will do I personally don't think it's really worth the effort, at least until 22s become totally unavailable. The time involved per round is of serious concern as is the priming compound, I would strongly suggest looking at the primer situation before investing in this thing and buy a couple of boxes of those matches (the ones sold today not the rare old stock) and see just how difficult of a problem the primer is to solve. They definitely are attempting to downplay some serious shortcomings in my opinion. However to each his own and if it's worth the time it would take and if a person can come up with a suitable primer (it certainly can be done BUT good luck finding a practical one) then that outfit does indeed look like a slick tool that could be used in a pinch. The question is not WILL it work, I am sure it will work just fine if it's shortcomings are acceptable, but rather the question is just how practical is it considering the time required and the difficulty obtaining a suitable priming compound?

so all i emaild the guys over at http://22lrreloader.com/design-details/ they will be doing a mold injecated kit, wich will bring the price down to $70 bucks. with a $30 dollar sizing die.

this should be out in April.

I will be purchasing the kit and posting reviews.

I also asking cleaning the 22 lr cases in a ultrasonic cleaner is more the enough so you wont need to pick out the old residue.

We know you can you the "tips" of the strike anywhere matches to make the priming compound. or using the pop caps for toy guns.

To me it sounds interesting.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmonkey35 View Post
    We know you can you the "tips" of the strike anywhere matches to make the priming compound. or using the pop caps for toy guns.To me it sounds interesting.
    The caps for the toy guns seem to work ok but are somewhat difficult to work with unless they can be used as they are and good luck with those matches! I myself and a bunch of others tried that back during the primer shortage, all I can say is try it and see for yourself what I am talking about! The old ones from back before the regulations went into effect in 2010 worked pretty good but those are long gone and I think you just might be surprised at just how little compound you are going to get from a whole box of the newer ones, the usable tip is so small it's almost impossible to get any useful material without having it mixed with the other part of the head. Those tips are TINY indeed! To make matters worse some brands actually color much more of the tip than what is actually the real tip to make them look like the older ones, if you do try the matches you definitely want to avoid those because it's impossible to see where the actual tip ends and the unusable part of the head starts.

Does it not seem odd that the old style matches bring such ridiculous prices on E-Bay, etc? There's a reason for that!
    Last edited by oldred; 02-28-2015 at 10:08 PM.

I think everyone's biggest hang up on is the priming compound.

It would be nice if we could get it in a consternated liquid.

A few eye dropper drops a quick swoosh around the case to get it on the rim.

Let dry, load and fire..

Boolit Master

Priming compound is the biggest hurdle to overcome IMO but it's not impossible as there are ways to make the stuff, how practical it would be would depend a great deal on the person's knowledge of the chemicals involved and obtaining some of the more difficult to acquire items. The cap pistol caps showed some promise when I was trying to make primers but the stuff was darn hard to work with, scraping off the powder and building up a usable amount was very time consuming and not at all easy to do and then there is the not so small matter of just how dangerous the stuff can be in quantity. I was able to use it with some success "as-is" in powder form in the primer cups but I doubt that would work with a RF case, it would have to be made into a slurry of some sort and then allowed to solidify in the case rim. I have been told this can done using some types of alcohol but I never got that far with it so I am not sure about that one. I personally am still interested in finding a viable way of making primers although I have stocked all the primers I am likely to need in for a long time and still going to buy more while I can get them, I just found this to be a very interesting project and fun undertaking more so than doing it out of need.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    150 bucks or even the 70 dollar kit for a crimper and match heads? Not my cup of tea!
    How about if one wants to reload with match heads, just rake up spent cases at the range, bell the case mouth with the Lee Universal Expander (or a profiled bolt) and use a 223 H&I die for the crimp at 18 bucks. Turn the reload upside down in a Lyman Lube Sizer and drop the handle - you have a crimped case

Nine (9) of us in the States were lucky to buy a box of 5000 primed empty cases and had David Mos make custom molds of the old 40gr UMC Match bullet. Can reload 50 BP rounds in 20 minutes. FPS averages 1000-1200 using 4.5gr of Swiss FFFFg or Null-B. Shot strings average 100 plus with no bore cleaning or accuracy decrease

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44WCFbp1200JPG.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	132378 ... Stepping Back Into Time!
    Last edited by John Boy; 02-28-2015 at 11:34 PM.
    Regards
    John

A semi liquid priming spun into the rim with a battery drill, and then dried, Maybe???
    NO APPLAUSE......JUST THROW MONEY!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast