Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 22lr

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone tried harvesting priming compound from shotshell or regular primes for use in rimfires?
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-02-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Anyone tried harvesting priming compound from shotshell or regular primes for us in rimfires?
    Not sure I would want to try that but then maybe I'm just being too cautious.

The fact is early type, although corrosive, priming compounds shouldn't be all that hard to make since after all percussion caps were invented in 1820 and available by the 1830s and becoming widely used only a very few years later. If the compounds from back almost 200 years ago can be used, and I see no reason why not, then technology from that era shouldn't be too hard to duplicate.

[EDIT]

Duhh,,, Well that didn't take long! A quick search of how to make Mercury Fulminate (the old percussion compound) instantly turned up a couple of interesting things about it. First I was wrong about the corrosive nature of the stuff, turns out it isn't corrosive after all which would have made little to no difference back then anyway because of being used with Black Powder. Corrosion seems to not be a problem at all with the stuff however shelf life is and priming material made from Mercury Fulminate tends to degrade and become inert over time. Next there are detailed instructions on how to make this stuff and apparently the hardest ingredient to find would be the Mercury itself but even that is obtainable. HOWEVER! Making the stuff, while it is indeed fairly simple, is very dangerous and extremely toxic! It didn't take me more than a couple of minutes of seeing what was involved to know that I want no part of trying to make this stuff, however YMMV so if anyone is interested Mr Google will gladly give you links to written and video tutorials. Just be extremely careful, boiling mercury and nitric acid? No thanks!
    Last edited by oldred; 03-02-2015 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added info

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Monkey you obviously still think match heads will work so all I can say is go ahead and buy a bunch of these things! I have already tried it and I can assure you it's a waste of time, Sure it's "possible" to do it with some (but by no means all) that are still sold but the tiny amount of material obtainable from even a whole box full of these things if you can get them separated ok is such a small amount it's simply not worth the expense or effort.

did you read this by any chance?

http://kissurvival.com/strike-anywhere-matches/

Old style from just a couple of years ago could still be found but that has changed drastically since then, sure they worked great but not these new junky things with the painted on tips so just try them and see for yourself. Anyone who pays the money for this tool expecting to use match heads has been warned!

Roll caps do work, they are very difficult to get much powder from but it is doable, I strongly suggest not accumulating more than very small amounts at a time, at least not while it's dry, as I found this stuff to be extremely easy to ignite and I was really surprised at how violent even tiny amounts can be.

Good luck with that! You are asking about buying a high explosive!

You can get the chemicals separately from Skylighter, a pyrotechnics supplier, and mix your own but they won't sell some combinations of chemicals together so you might, or might not depending on what you buy, be able to get everything in one order but, surprisingly in this day of over-regulation, you can get it.

http://www.skylighter.com/

BE WARNED!!!!! This is some dangerous stuff you are talking about! When you start working with chemicals such as this you had better be very careful, this is nothing to take lightly! Keep everything in VERY small amounts and work safely and you will probably be ok but making even one mistake can be disastrous.
    Thanks for that link. I have been searching for some of those chemicals for my antiquing processes! Local chem supply house does not carry some.

banger

Boolit Master

Those guys are good to do business with and are very helpful, I have not bought anything like some of these primer compound chemicals just some fuse and model rocket motor chemicals but these were top notch.

Boolit Mold
    Not suggesting anyone try it, but I removed the anvil from a LP primer and used a toothpick to harvest the compound onto a piece of paper. I cleaned a .22lr case simply by wetting a q-tip in alcohol and inserted it into the case, spin. Used the other side of the q-tip to dry. Poured in the priming compound and added 1 drop of acetone. Put the case in a bench drill and let it spin for a minute. I let the case dry. Added 2 grains of H110 and wax to make a wax projectile. I did not have a proper fitting bullet and heck I was scared. Just wanted to see if it ignited. Perfect, fired at a cardboard box. It went through both sides and lightly dented the plywood behind the box. Primers as we all know are dangerous. I will use the following cautions. Eye protection, gloves, and only 1 at a time, not a pile of compound, and set that case aside. I hope to reload 22wmr, Waiting on a few things, but I let ya know. I thought the primer harvest was pretty easy, some hazards, but I wouldn't mess with the matches, well maybe. Anyone know where to get a reasonably priced mold for a heeled .22 projectile for the .22LR??

So all I got to look at the kit up close and personal at my last gun show.

The mold is OK. I'm not happy with the solid mold once up to tenp its got to be hotter then heck.

The rest if the stuff is just that stuff

Would be interested in a real mold as well.

With real dies.

Boolit Master

I'm using a NOE 4 cavity GC bullet mold, works well for my BP .22lr cartridges. Has a longer GC shank than most is why I picked this one. Has a nice flat nose if you want to hunt with it. I plan on using it in my 22 Hornet Handi also.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...hgu1f7m2c5nr70

Boolit Buddy
    I will try to find the article I read back in th early 90's. We made primer compound by dissolving paper cap material in a chemical.Think it was mek but please don't try it on my say so. Used it to make caps for muzzle loaders. Used a bus drivers punch to make the rounds from beer cans and a die set to shape the cups..Mostly it worked but was not worth the effort.

Boolit Buddy
    North American Arms has the mould.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123