MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Ruger 77/357?

Boolit Master

Opinions on the Ruger 77/357?

I have been looking, for awhile now, for a light recoil and light weight rifle/carbine that would not burn tons of powder and lead for plinking and hunting. Since my max range shots when hunting are usually measured in feet, not yards range isn't really a problem. Recoil and resources are. I have been back and forth, looked at dozens of options and suggestions, and I am REALLY thinking that the Ruger 77/357 would be in the right price range (If I can sell my OLD Remmy 700 BDL 270), and would probably fit the bill. Does anybody have experience with this rifle? What can you tell me about it from first hand knowledge?

Thanks

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    I've had one since they came out. They are comfortable to shoot without excess recoil. They are accurate...~ 1 MOA depending on just who is shooting... but, the magazine only takes a cartridge that is so long. I have a favorite boolit for mine (MiHec mold 360640, 140 gr. HP) with which I have to trim the case so it fits the magazine. Otherwise, it's a great little rifle.

Boolit Master

I've had a lot of success with mine. I've shot everything from 105 Grain Lee SWC to 180 grain MiHec (385-180). Very accurate with .38 Spl. or .357 Mag, BE plinker loads or stout 2400 loads. I have a 2x7 Redfield on it, handles well, very light to carry.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I have one but have yet to take it to the range. I am hoping for success with the 360-180 FP and HP. Should be a great rifle and do anything I need.
    tony

Boolit Master
    I like mine a lot. I shoot a NOE 358477 GC over 15.0 gr of H110 and can get 2" @ 100yds with receiver sights from a rest. It's my favorite desert-roaming rifle because it is so light with irons.
    Loren

I have had one for four years or so. I/we have put approximately 10,000 rounds through mine. NOE's 360-180 in front of 8.5 gr of surplus 10b101, wolf primers and home made gas checks from a FCIII tool. Have killed three bucks with it out to 100 yards. Mine is accurate! The bolt has been shimmed and the barrel lapped. And it has a good Leupold scope on it. I can shoot it all day with no leading. A six inch gong is no problem at all at 150 yards. Golf balls at 100 yds, marbles at 50-75 yards all day long. Cast Boolits member Vopie and I even shot playing cards in half at 50 yards with it on several occasions. The gun is so dam fun to shoot some days we get together to shoot and end up just shooting the Ruger 357. One day at Cast Boolits member Screwbolts place I even shot a caterpillar in half with it at 103 yards. I load the same load in 38 special cases and get the same accuracy. For everyday plinking the ammo is loaded on a Dillon 550, for hunting loads I load weighed boolits and weighed powder charges on the RCBS press. Probably don't need to but it makes me feel more confident. The rifle does not like the lighter weight boolits, at least in my experience. I also have the 77/44, it too shoots great. You will love it.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/asse...5&d=1403159284

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I am already working on grinding some money together. Not an easy task with no real income to speak of, but that's one of the reasons I am going to be selling the one rifle to help pay for it which is kind of a big deal for me since I just don't sell guns. I have traded a few, but I usually don't sell them.

altheating your link doesn't work

I have a Lee 358-142-2R mold I need to cast with as it is, but I just don't have a 158 grain mold yet. Still need to work on getting one, but I do have quite a few 158gr RNFP (from laser cast), and a very few 158gr SWCs (from rimrock bullets) left I can load up. My favorite 357 mag factory load bar none in my GP100 is a Magtech 158gr SJSP. I will have to find my notebook, but I have a 158gr RNFP load that closely matches POA with it.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a 77/44 and enjoyed it. It was a mint second year production with excellent bluing and walnut stock. Sold it because it was 'too purtty' to mess with.
    Now I'm thinking the 77/357 would be a great plinking gun with target 38Spl loads. I have two grandsons ages 10 and 11 and it seems a natural 'step up' for them after plinking with 22's. Keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a used one.
    I missed a great deal on a stainless 77/44 for only $500 a couple weeks ago. Shoulda, coulda, woulda....just waited too long. Guess that's ok though cause after reading posts like this I still want the .35 version!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Yup, Altheatings link didn't open for me either. I think it was to the thread showing the photo of the remains of the very dangerous, not often seen, Sabertoothed Caterpillar, that was crawling up my target backer while Altheating was launching boolitz from his Ruger. It is a measured 103 yards, not a guess.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Banned

ill probably get flamed for this but it sure wont be the first time Never saw much sense to a pistol caliber bolt action rifle. Why would you want one when you can get a lever gun that's a lot more fun to shoot and just as accurate. About the only sense they make to me would be maybe if a guy wanted a suppressed 44 mag.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    ill probably get flamed for this but it sure wont be the first time Never saw much sense to a pistol caliber lever action action rifle. For that matter never saw a lot of sense in any Lever action period. Why would you want one when you can get a bolt action gun that's a lot more fun to shoot and just as accurate. About the only sense they make to me would be maybe if a guy wanted a suppressed 44 mag.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master
    why? Same weight bullet as 300 Blackout (150gr). Same velocity as 300 blackout (1800 fps). Same powder charge as 300 blackout (15.1 gr/ H110). CARBIDE DIES!! makes life easier.
    Loren

Boolit Grand Master

I think it is a very novel and lovely idea. I prefer my pistol caliber lever actions. That being said, a dedicated bolt/range/hunting rifle has it's appeal. Much easier to run a bolt while on a bench. Tuning for accuracy can be arguably easier. More stock options. Looks "right" with a scope on it. The length limitation would irk me some, but seems to be easily worked around. I'd love to try one before putting down some $$$

Why would I want one you ask? Because I do! And I personally don't like lever guns, they never felt right to me. It's a personal thing. Kind of like most of the guns we all own, do we really need one, probably not. Why do I have three 222's ? Because I want them and haven't found a forth one that has followed me home. Why, because every one is different in their own way.

Boolit Master
    I personally love lever guns. However that being said most of the 357 mag lever guns I have run across are either bubba'd and beaten to death, or are WAY over priced, or both. Also the 5.5lb weight on the little bolt action appeals to me. Plus the ability to have 5rnd 357mag in the gun, and a 5rnd 38 spec in the pocket in case my deer hunt turns to bunny busting is something I like the idea of.

oh and I like ruger and they don't make a lever gun in 357...

GoodOlBoy

I'm pretty hot to get one. I love my 1894C Marlin, but can't bring myself to scope a lever-action carbine. The bolt action Ruger seems made for it.

I love mine. It shoots my cast boolits great. Killed a nice tender doe with it last season using a cast lead flat point.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final!
    Will kill for food!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in GA View Post
    I've had a 77/44 and enjoyed it. It was a mint second year production with excellent bluing and walnut stock. Sold it because it was 'too purtty' to mess with.
    Now I'm thinking the 77/357 would be a great plinking gun with target 38Spl loads. I have two grandsons ages 10 and 11 and it seems a natural 'step up' for them after plinking with 22's. Keeping my eyes open for a good deal on a used one.
    I missed a great deal on a stainless 77/44 for only $500 a couple weeks ago. Shoulda, coulda, woulda....just waited too long. Guess that's ok though cause after reading posts like this I still want the .35 version!
    Well,... 7 months later and I finally bought a used 77/357 stainless. Can't wait to shoot it. I have a fixed 4X Leupold that will probably get mounted but may put a target scope on first to see how it can do on paper. I see Brownell's and Midway both offer factory walnut stocks for 77/44 & 77/357 and might just have to spend the $$ to get stainless/walnut which I happen to like.
    New toy and anxious to shoot it!!

Boolit Master

I have had two of them. The first one was so inaccurate I sent it back.
    The second one was no better.

4 to 6 inches at 50 yards. ( 4x scope. )

The same ammo prints in 1 to 1.5 inches from my TC.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    A friend owned the one I just bought and said it will do well. I'll find out. I cycled a clip full of lead SWC ammo and it fed smoothly. Forgot to try 38Spl's
    Last edited by Alan in GA; 10-03-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast