Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: 10mm Mag info?

Boolit Grand Master

10mm Mag info?

I have a line on an AMT Automag IV in 10mm magnum. I see Starline still makes brass for it. Anyone have first hand experience with the Automag IV in 10mm magnum? Was the 10mm magnum ever chambered in any other guns? Haven't seen it but it's claimed to be in very good condition. Any idea what a fair price would be? Thanks.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-06-2015 at 11:43 AM.

Boolit Master

Did not this gun have issues with rail galling? Not sure, it was one of the AMT lines.

Boolit Grand Master

I know the AMT Hardballer had galling issues. My ex bother-in-law had a long slide Hardballer that was outstanding but a friend had one the was truly a ***.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-06-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have one in .45 Win Mag. No real issues yet, I keep it lubed with Mobil 1 motor oil, (like all my guns) and haven't noticed any galling.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I have a line on an AMT Automag IV in 10mm magnum. I see Starline still makes brass for it. Anyone have first hand experience with the Automag IV in 10mm magnum? Was the 10mm magnum ever chambered in any other guns? Haven't seen it but it's claimed to be in very good condition. Any idea what a fair price would be? Thanks.
    I have an older Automag V chambered in 50AE.

I sat down and hand lapped the frame/slide rails on my Automag pistols using first JB bore paste, and then Flitz metal polish. I lube the slide rails with a combination of Rig +P stainless grease, and Mobil 1 oil. I've experienced no stainless galling with either my 30 Carbine Automag III, or my Automag V.

From everything I've read, the Automag V, is pretty much just an Automag IV that's been re chambered using a 50 AE barrel. It was not really developed or tested well for the cartridge. It also wasn't tough enough to withstand full power factory 50 AE ammunition for very for long.

They are considered somewhat fragile when used with full power factory ammo, and there were many reports of cracked slides, and worn out recoil springs with the Automag IV and V's. I know full power loads will quickly nuke a 50AE 30lb recoil spring, and can also break the ejector. I've personally seen at least one cracked slide on a Automag V as well.

You can find more out about them if you search for a while on the AMT guns forum
    http://amtguns.info/

As to values, I would check on gunbroker to get an idea of what the Automag IV and V's are selling for currently.

Since they don't make the Automag pistols anymore, and parts that wear and break like ejectors, slides, and springs are getting harder and harder to come by... Back in 2011, I went and worked up a nice mild load (read subsonic) so I could keep shooting my Automag V, and that wouldn't be likely to beat the gun up to badly.

You can read all about the experience in the link below if interested.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Action-Express

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

Somebody made a revolver, don't know who but awhile back we got 2 loaded 'stars' 6 rounders with 10mm mag ammo. Looks to be a pretty healthy cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SWANEEDB View Post
    Somebody made a revolver, don't know who but awhile back we got 2 loaded 'stars' 6 rounders with 10mm mag ammo. Looks to be a pretty healthy cartridge.
    Ive seen quite a few S&W 610 40S&W/10mm revolvers that had the cylinders bored to also accept the 10mm Magnum cartridge. It seems to be a popular modification to get done.

Mine 610 [above] doesn't have a bored cylinder, and only accepts 40 S&W and standard 10mm cartridges loaded on moon clips.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master
    Check here http://sixguns.com/tests/tt10mag.htm for a John Taffin revue .

Boolit Master
    For risk of being accused of thread drift, (guilty), would anyone know of a source for magazines for these pistols? I only got 1 with mine, and would like at least a spare. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SWANEEDB View Post
    Smith 610s were bored out to take the 10mm mag and could shoot all 3, .40 10mm and 10mm mag but had to use moon clips for everything but the mag. Accuracy suffered using .40 because of the long bullet jump. Saw 1 on gunbroker when I was looking for my 610 but passed when it went to $1500
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Boolit Buddy

I havent had any experience with AMT in ten, but the 50 AE is a hand full, something about the grip angle and long slide.
    I do have some time with the 10mag in my Coonan and it is a great combination. The Taffin article has some good info and mirrors my data, only difference would be barrel length and a smidgeon of velocity. I have noticed that the LP primer pockets will let you know when you have gone abit to far, I would have prefered to have a SP primer, but you take what available I guess. My chamber is tight, so the case expansion that is noted in Taffins article didnt track with mine, probably looser tolerances in the AMT than what I cut. I lean to the Blue Dot loads and am in the process of testing some 800X for the 165gr jhp.

Quote Originally Posted by SOFMatchstaff View Post
    I havent had any experience with AMT in ten, but the 50 AE is a hand full, something about the grip angle and long slide.
    I do have some time with the 10mag in my Coonan and it is a great combination. The Taffin article has some good info and mirrors my data, only difference would be barrel length and a smidgeon of velocity. I have noticed that the LP primer pockets will let you know when you have gone abit to far, I would have prefered to have a SP primer, but you take what available I guess. My chamber is tight, so the case expansion that is noted in Taffins article didnt track with mine, probably looser tolerances in the AMT than what I cut. I lean to the Blue Dot loads and am in the process of testing some 800X for the 165gr jhp.
    New starline brass 10gr of 2400 and a 200gr head in a 610 revolver No need for a 10mm mag with this load
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Boolit Master
    dubber Watch Gunbroker there is a fellow that sells Automag stuff and he may know if the magazine for 45 Winmag is the same for 10 mm mag . I believe they are but do not own any my self.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohillbilly View Post
    dubber Watch Gunbroker there is a fellow that sells Automag stuff and he may know if the magazine for 45 Winmag is the same for 10 mm mag . I believe they are but do not own any my self.
    Will do, I was watching for a while, without success. One good spare is all I really need. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Galling was due to lack proper lube back in the early 80s. With all the synthetics available now, that is a nonissue.

As far as the Automag, it is collectible. Due to the power of the cartridge, I would not shoot the gun much due to lack of parts availability. They have a reputation of breakage.

Best
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 02-09-2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Content, due to lack of reading the OP correctly
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master

I will be looking at it this weekend. I would really like the 10MM Magnum over the 10MM auto. If I don't get the mag I am looking very hard at the Glock 40 10MM auto. Really wish someone was making 10MM Magnums. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Boolit Master
    Oh man, blonde moment! 10 mmMag!! Sorry!!!I need better reading comprehension!

I edited my earlier post.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 02-09-2015 at 09:48 PM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE