RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 357 mag vs. 44 mag for hunting deer size game

357 mag vs. 44 mag for hunting deer size game

Ok, before I start I know the 357 vs. 44 mag has been debated to death. I am asking this question as I want to pick up a new Ruger Super Blackhawk in either on of the calibers. I plan on using this solely for whitetail/ coyote hunting. I do know the 357 with the right loads in plenty ample for the above game out to 70 yards. I would like to hear opinions from actual users of said calibers and success they have had for game. Obviously being on this site i would like info of Boolits used for said game. Info is greatly appreciated.

Boolit Grand Master

I am a 44/45 fan but the 357 with good load and reasonable yardage will get the job done. A good friend loves to hunt coyotes with a handgun. For him the 357 is to much for him too shot well. With his 32 H&R or 327 Fed. he is deadly accurate. If you can shoot them equally as well go with the 44 but if you shoot the 357 better go with that.

I am a pretty athletic guy (so I'd like to think haha) so shooting either wouldn't be an issue. I just want to ensure a clean humane kill on said game. I have no doubt it would be plenty for coyotes. Whitetail deer is my main concern. I am the type of hunter that would rather get very close than far away from my game so 70 yards would be my max.

Both will work. I have both calibers but prefer the 44 mag for deer. But I'd never get rid of my 357 either. I like to have it with me when I'm on my tractor working around the farm. The 44 definitely hits harder. I really like the Lee C430-310-RF . It really hits hard. I emailed Mihec to see if he had any extras from the group buy pm the 429640 2 cavity GC. Looking forward to working with that boolit.
    Last edited by kenyerian; 02-05-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    I've shot and killed over fifty deer with handguns. The vast majority were with the 357mag. That being said, I own and used the 44mag on several deer also. I've been hunting almost exclusively with handguns for over forty years. All things being equal, the 44mag will do more than the 357mag will do. The practical difference isn't in which one kills the best, they both do well in that area. The difference is in how well the individual shooter can shoot either handgun. I've found that a lot of shooters don't shoot big bore handguns as well as rimfires. When you get into the guns that have some recoil and lots of noise, the dreaded "flinch" reflex comes in to play. It is definately more pronounced with the 44mag than the 357mag. If you are not recoil sensitive, the 44mag logically would have a theoretical advantage simply due to having the ability to penetrate better and leave a larger wound channel. All this being said, the only deer I've ever lost with a handgun was with a 44mag. I simply made a bad shot and the deer was not recovered. A bad hit with a 44mag is far less lethal than a good hit with the 357mag. It really all comes down to bullet placement and which one you can shoot best.

I've killed 3 deer a year for the past 3 years with a 7.5" super black hawk 44 mag with the Lee 310 modified to plain base, powder coated with 19.5grn of 296. The point of the story
    ....a 357 May expand but a 44 mag will not shrink

The sound that bullet makes when it hits a deer is sickening

43pu

Given the choice I would go for the 44. I had many successful seasons with nothing but a 4" .357 and managed to do very well. Since adding a 41 mag to the mix the .357 has stayed home for some reason LOL. Either will do the job but the 44 will increase the range and shot opportunities IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 43PU View Post
    I've killed 3 deer a year for the past 3 years with a 7.5" super black hawk 44 mag with the Lee 310 modified to plain base, powder coated with 19.5grn of 296. The point of the story
    ....a 357 May expand but a 44 mag will not shrink

The sound that bullet makes when it hits a deer is sickening

43pu
    Haha, Nice quote.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I've shot and killed over fifty deer with handguns. The vast majority were with the 357mag. That being said, I own and used the 44mag on several deer also. I've been hunting almost exclusively with handguns for over forty years. All things being equal, the 44mag will do more than the 357mag will do. The practical difference isn't in which one kills the best, they both do well in that area. The difference is in how well the individual shooter can shoot either handgun. I've found that a lot of shooters don't shoot big bore handguns as well as rimfires. When you get into the guns that have some recoil and lots of noise, the dreaded "flinch" reflex comes in to play. It is definately more pronounced with the 44mag than the 357mag. If you are not recoil sensitive, the 44mag logically would have a theoretical advantage simply due to having the ability to penetrate better and leave a larger wound channel. All this being said, the only deer I've ever lost with a handgun was with a 44mag. I simply made a bad shot and the deer was not recovered. A bad hit with a 44mag is far less lethal than a good hit with the 357mag. It really all comes down to bullet placement and which one you can shoot best.
    The flinch factor is not an issue, I am a firearms instructor and teach this very thing. I have shot full load 454 casull's very accurate out to 50 yards. These are just the type of replies I am looking for from experienced users. GREATLY appreciated.

+1 for ya gotta be able to shoot the weapon with out flinching etc.etc. I use 44's , have used 44 spl,357,41mag.....but I have an affair with the 44 , shoot what ever you can handle best
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Perma-Banned

I have used both and both will work....but the 44 trumps the 357...though, I still find myself walking out the door about a third of the time with that 7.5" .357 Bisley Blawkhawk...it is sweet and deadly with that 358429.

I cannot speak to hunting deer with a .357. I would bear in mind that PA. whitetails can get to be pretty big. I have been hunting deer with .44 magnums since the 1990's here in Illinois. What I love about the .44 is it's versatility. .45 Colt level loads on up. I usually use low end magnum level loads. Some that have taken deer for me are as follows, all with Keith boolits: 18.5 2400, 20.0 2400, 22.0 IMR 4227, and mlst recently 22.0 of H110/296. Standard disclaimers about load data. None of those loads are hot but all have shot accurately in my guns. I have used solid boolits cast from ACWW and hp's from an original Ideal single cavity that were 50/50 pbww. All have put venison in the freezer. All I do is visualize the soccer ball in the ribs and shoot for the exit hole.

My longest shot at a deer has been 65 yards. I practice at 50 and shoot out to 100 yards. Most of my shots are 30-45 yards. I normally take two Illinois white tails per year with whichever one of my .44's fits my hand best that year. I have also take 2 coyotes with .44's both at a lazered 50 yards. Not coyote hunting just wrong place and time for ole Wiley during deer season.

Some of the best advice I ever got was on this forum from .44 man and others. Develop your load and check with paper then put the paper targets away and shoot at stuff. Soda cans shot shells etc. until you know in your bones that the weak link in the shooting system of gun, ammo, and shooter is you. Then all you have to do is shootup to your gun and load.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Split the difference. .41 Mag and you'll never look back!

Quote Originally Posted by tigweldit View Post
    Split the difference. .41 Mag and you'll never look back!
    Its funny you mention that cause I am looking at the .41 as well. For some reason they come quite a bit cheaper in the Super Blackhawk than the 44 mag.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Both will do fine, provided you can do your part and place a proper boolit where it needs to go (those two things are more important than caliber). I've killed a load of handgun deer in Illinois since the season started in 1991 with about all the allowed calibers at distances from 4 yards to 140 yards....... all of them will kill deer dead, but given a choice the middle 41 magnum is better than either of your choices.

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Soda cans shot shells etc. until you know in your bones that the weak link in the shooting system of gun, ammo, and shooter is you. Then all you have to do is shootup to your gun and load.
    That is, indeed, GREAT advice...will make you a much better shooter in hunting situations. Actually, never seen it said anywhere, but I do this, also.

One or more of each is the only clear answer.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    Both will do fine, provided you can do your part and place a proper boolit where it needs to go (those two things are more important than caliber). I've killed a load of handgun deer in Illinois since the season started in 1991 with about all the allowed calibers at distances from 4 yards to 140 yards....... all of them will kill deer dead, but given a choice the middle 41 magnum is better than either of your choices.
    Are you basing this statement on ballistics/energy vs. recoil?

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1 View Post
    the middle 41 magnum is better than either of your choices.
    There are two calibers that for some reason, seem to demand that their fanciers promote them with statements similar to this...41mag and 45 colt.

You just don't hear 44 guys proclaiming " it will out do a 41 mag or it will do everything a 45 colt will do"...must be some kind of syndrome.IDK

Boolit Master
    The practical difference isn't in which one kills the best, they both do well in that area. The difference is in how well the individual shooter can shoot either handgun.
    Truth is where you find it, but accepting it might be another story.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast