Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Black Canyon Black Powder Sub.

Black Canyon Black Powder Sub.

Found a 1/2 can of Black Canyon powder I purchased years ago. It still looks good. Is there any reason I should not try it in my 43 Spanish Rolling Block?

In Remembrance
    I wouldn't use it ...
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    I wouldn't use it ...
    Why not? Is there some type of danger to do so?

Boolit Buddy
    Ah, Black Canyon. Doesn't flow well - if at all - through spouts, funnels, or measures. Extremely hygroscopic - literally sucks moisture from the air, both before and after firing. Requires really heavy compression to assure consistent ignition. It seems the muzzle-loading community didn't care very much for it, and it went out of production very quickly (after only a couple of years) and is now largely forgotten.

However, I found that it really shines when loaded into cartridges: heavily compressed, and with a firm crimp on the bullet. For the past 15 years or more (I bought a lot of the stuff; down to about 8 pounds now) I have been loading it into 11x60mmR Mauser (I.G. 71/84) and .45-70 Government (Springfield Model 1884) cartridges. Although actually getting it into a cartridge case can be a bit tedious, once there - in my experience - it burns extremely clean and has given no cause for complaints in the accuracy department. And I do mean "burns extremely clean" - as in, one or two patches through the bore and you're done, even after extended firing. Cases, likewise, have required only the occasional ride through the conrcobs.

Anyway, that's my experience. YMMV.
    Jim

Vendor Sponsor

If memory is correct, this is the powder that was produced in the same building in Whitewater, Colorado as is the APP (American Pioneer Powder) and by the same people. It came and went fast and pre-dated APP production. It got the nickname "sugar" from its close chemical relationship to the sweet stuff. I should say, I really know nothing about it other than what a few of the BPTR riflemen from the Whitewater/Grand Junction area have told me. Gossip, in other words.

It might be worth more to a collector of obsolete powder cans than to a shooter. Or not.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Black canyon was also known as clean shot powder befor APP. I was in there plant in Whitewater years ago and got this clean shot from them. I found it worked well in my 45-70 but not in anything else. where are you located in Co. Chill Wills

Boolit Man
    My experience: Several decades ago bought one pound. Didn't really like it. The product has received very poor press at the time. Set it away with nothing special in mind. In the not too distant past picked up the bottle and something rattled. The powder had condensed into a solid lump. I dumped it after breaking up the clinker. I do not care for these faux powders.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball View Post
    My experience: Several decades ago bought one pound. Didn't really like it. The product has received very poor press at the time. Set it away with nothing special in mind. In the not too distant past picked up the bottle and something rattled. The powder had condensed into a solid lump. I dumped it after breaking up the clinker. I do not care for these faux powders.
    The pound I bought did pretty much the same thing. I shot about half of it, and put the rest up for a few months and it clodded up like yours did.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.