Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contender frustration.....

Contender frustration.....

It's pretty bad when you have to turn 30-30 necks to be able to chamber .308 jacketed bullets. I am very unhappy with this 10" Contender barrel. Are they all like this? This thing is worthless. Too much hassle to load for. Spend the $$$ for a custom I guess???? Please tell me not all Thompson barrels are junk. I have been looking at others on Gunbroker and Ebay but I'm gun shy now about buying another Thompson barrel. This is very frustrating.
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I have owned dozens of Contender barrels over the years in an assortment of chamberings and have never had a problem you describe. I have had the opposite with some being chambered on the loose side. Can you offer more details?

Boolit Master
    I've owned three Contenders and at one time had two different 30-30 barrels. No problems ever with any of them. I've had at least a dozen barrels and never had a problem other than they are on the loose side, not the tight side. You've got to have something else going on.

Its like there is no throat at all. Super tight chamber. Even with jacketed .308 bullets I have to turn necks to get them to chamber. This is my first and only TC barrel. The one round that did chamber out of twenty I loaded measured .3275" at the neck with the bullet seated. Others measured .328"-.329" and will not chamber. Cast??? FORGET about it. Way too fat. I'd have to turn the necks way down. I was able to get a stubby little 32 cal. 100gr RN boolit sized to .309" to chamber but it only barely stuck out of the case mouth.
    I guess I just got a bum barrel......
    Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Boolit Buddy James C. Snodgrass's Avatar
    Like every one else the are usauly loose . I would do a chamber cast. I use a .310 sized cast in mine. With only sizing half of the neck.

Boolit Master
    Did you get this as a used barrel or is it new? Factory TC or aftermarket (Bullberry, MGM, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Did you get this as a used barrel or is it new? Factory TC or aftermarket (Bullberry, MGM, etc)
    Used on Gunbroker. Factory TC barrel.

Boolit Master

Waco, I just went and miked the necks on some of my 30/30 loads with .310" boolits and they go .329"-.330" using Remington cases. Your loads are just fine.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Waco, I just went and miked the necks on some of my 30/30 loads with .310" boolits and they go .329"-.330" using Remington cases. Your loads are just fine.
    I thought the loads were ok. Thanks for checking yours.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a chamber cast would be a good idea. That's what I would do.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I read an article by Mike Bellm about all the problems with T/C factory barrels in different chamberings and the problems common in each one. I have 5 T/C's but after buying a .357 Maximum chambered by Mike I'll only buy a T/C factory barrel at a "can't pass it up" price and will buy custom barrels from now on.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

It's quite possible that the barrel was sold for the very reason you describe. I would email T/C

Sounds like a perfect candidate to ream out to 30-30AI .

Quote Originally Posted by kenyerian View Post
    Sounds like a perfect candidate to ream out to 30-30AI .
    Thats an idea!

Boolit Master
    A duhh question here. Does factory ammo chamber and close? And are you loading 30-30 bullets or bullets designed for a bolt gun?

Boolit Grand Master
    Or run a 30-30 reamer in the chamber.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'm the excpetion but I have never had a bad TC barrel. All have been 1.25 MOA or less. Some have been....well......if I post it some will think me a liar. I have had a few really really good ones .......put it that way. Seems to me a chamber cast is in order as well. If I were to run a reamer it would be AI.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Try a factory 30-30 round if it doesn't chamber send it to T/C . Or have someone clean it up with a 30-30 reamer
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    A duhh question here. Does factory ammo chamber and close? And are you loading 30-30 bullets or bullets designed for a bolt gun?
    I really don't see what that matteres. If it won't chamber 30 cal J words or normal 30-30 cast boolits, there is something wrong IMO.

Oh. Sorry. Yes factory loads seem to fit. But I don't buy factory stuff. Maybe running the loads through a Lee factory crimp die???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast