Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: My first 44 special load

My first 44 special load

I have had 44 magnum revolvers since the early 1970's. I have read about old Elmer since I was a kid in the 1950's and how he developed hot loads for the 44 special. Of late I figured I owed myself a 44 Special to see what all the hoopla was about. I wanted a mid framed six gun, as I already have several 44 mags, both Single action and double action.
    I had read about the people converting old model blackhawks from 357 to 44 Spec, but I really don't know anyone that does that kind of elaborate work. Went through the Ruger catalog and found that they were in production, Lipseys even had a Bisely framed model on the old flat top frame.
    To shorten this up a little, I bought one. Started looking at loads for it and came across a load by Mr. Skeeter Skelton back in the 1950's-60's. It was one for which I had the mold (429421) and powder(7 1/2 grs Unique). My first trip to the range with my 44 was truly enlightening. My first two cylinders were all in the 9 ring at 15 yds off hand, I started to shoot the last ten rounds and benched the last six just to see how accurate it was. Thanks Skeeter Skelton!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jan 2015 027.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	129594

Boolit Mold
    Wow, nice shooting! I just received a 429421 mold in the mail, and can't wait to try the same thing. I have a blackhawk magnum with 5.5, and mostly enjoy shooting my 44 special handloads in it. I can't wait to try some Skeeter loads, but haven't been able to find Unique. I just need to keep a look out for that & maybe some 2400.

I would love to see a picture of your new flat top!

Banned

it's a good load.
    I use 7.2grs of unique as that's just where I ended up,.
    never knew it was named for someone till recently.

Perma-Banned

I shoot 7.4 in one of my flattops, 7.3 in another flattop, 7.4 in my 44 Special New Vaquero Sheriff and 7.2 in my both of my Cimarron Model P 44 Specials...all with the 429421 and powder charge being determined by what the gun likes best. Somewhere around that Skeeter load, makes for a good load in the 44 special...and there are several other powders that work well with it...it is just easier for me to keep up with the one powder.

I will say, that I also found that HS6 works very well in the special...but it can be difficult to find.

At any rate, you have a dandy gun, cartridge and load...enjoy.

Somewhere Skeeter is smiling.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Banned
    The 44 Special is one of the greatest cartridges ever made and in an appropriate gun, Skeeter's load is about as good as it gets.
    The 44 magnum didn't completely kill off the Special but it put a huge dent in it's availability. it's a shame because the 44 Special will do about 90% of what the 44 mag does and does it far more efficiently.
    I'm hoping for a resurgence for the 44 Special.

If my Lipseys Bisely is any example, the 44 special should have a good long run. Sure would be nice to see a mid framed double action as well. A K or L framed smith, or a Ruger based on the GP100 rather than the Redhawk. Even a Taurus mid frame like their tracker series. And I, like many of you, believe the 44 in a +p loading like we've been talking about, carries 90% of my big bore work.

Banned
    Even a N-frame 44 Special S&W like the model 24/624 would be welcome. If S&W would go back to the tapered barrel, a 4" model 24 would be about perfect. The K-frame is too small for a 44 conversion and the L-framed 44 Smith is currently in magnum with the model 96. I think the Ruger GP100 practically begs for a 44 Special model but Ruger doesn't seem to be interested.

It's a good load for a great caliber and gun. Nice shooting BTW. My results with that combination match yours. I've also had great success with Win 231 at 6.8 gr for 920 fps, 8.0 gr and of Herco for about the same velocity and accuracy.

Another great bullet(s) are the copies of Ray Thompson's gas checked designs; Lyman numbers 429215 gc and 429244 gc and will probably solve any leading issues you ecounter. Either will do as well as the old Keith 429421. I size all of the above to 0.431" and lube with 50-50 but also have had equal grouping with LLA or 45-45-10 swirl lubed twice (and no leading up to 1000 fps either). That sizing will also shoot in my Marlin 336 and 1894 .44 Magnum carbines with great accuracy and no leading.

Welcome to the .44 Special owners and devotees world. LOL Best Regards, Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 02-10-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Rodfac, do you shoot the 429215 without the gc? How is that for accuracy?

Banned

Loads without the g/c are reduced
    in my 41 mag I use 4.1grs of titegroup under the Lyman 210gr swc without the gas check installed.
    It's enough to deal with rabbits and coyotes out to 75yds easily.

Boolit Buddy
    The S&W Model 69 is a 5 shot .44 L Frame which should shoot really well with specials.
    It calls to me and I don't know long I will be able to resist purchasing one to keep my 6" Model 29 company. Just hope it doesn't fight with my .44 Vaqueros.

Tom Traddles: Sorry for the late reply. I've used 429215 w/o the gc but groups opened a half inch at 25 yds from my .44 Specials. I was using 231, Unique and Herco for the try without the gc. For that reason, I usually add the gc. W/o the check, I was getting 2"+ groups...with the check in place, it's no real trick to get 1"+ gps with most any of my .44's, Mag or Spl.

I didn't really try changing the sizing dia. going instead with my usual 0.431"...tho 0.430" might work a bit better, or even 0.429" if you've got really small throats. I've never gone that small, however.

I have however, frequently used 0.432" dia. through any and all of my .44 revolvers for the simple reason that both my Marlin 336 and son's Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited prefer that larger dia. for gilt edged accuracy. I don't push that big dia. slug much at all in deference to its increased bore resistance. For that matter, I don't push any of my lead alloy boolits to the limits. Keith once said that 1200 fps is all you need in the lower 48, and I'd agree.

Too, one of my two Lyman 429215 molds has an enlarged heel to it, requiring me to flare the gc slightly before seating. To do this I use a fairly large ball peen hammer, resting the 'bulb' end (polished with 400 grit wet or dry), on the check, then tapping it lightly with my palm. It opens it just a bit allowing easy positioning on the boolit base. Sounds like a royal PITA, and it is to some extent, but that boolit from that mold is a real tack driver for me. My Marlin 336 in .44 Mag, will do an inch at 50 yds with it easily. Just love the look of those big slugs cutting into the same hole over and over again!~!.

Lubeck, I'd really like to try out one of the new Smith M-69's, especially with .44 Spl level loads, say 1000 fps +. It ought to me a great woods loafin' gun, and brother, that's my bag.

Rod
    Last edited by Rodfac; 02-19-2015 at 09:20 PM.

With all this talk about the 44 special got me thinking, what is the difference between shooting a 44 special out of a SBH or 629? I have both guns and have shot the 44 special loads out of them. Would there be a difference shooting them out of a special or magnum revolver?

I have loaded 6.0 gn of Unique and 4.5 of Bullseye in front of a Missouri 240 gn SWC in a 44 special case. Not sure what the f/sec is. In a 44 mag. I have loaded 10.0 of Unique in front of the same bullet and the book said it should be around 937 f/sec. I would rate the comfort factor around 4 out of 10.

Boolit Master

How good would a GP100 be in 44 Spec be ??? Make it 5 shot, I don't care. That'd be great. I was teetering on the edge of getting a Ruger Flattop in 44 Spec until something else caught my eye that I "had" to have. Sooner or later, though..
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin