Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LC9S Pro

Moderator Emeritus

Ruger LC9S Pro

Don't really like the .380 caliber....and the Ruger LC9S Pro looks to be about the smallest 9mm...does anyone have any experience with this weapon? I know that RUGER has been kicked around quite a bit for quality issues.....please put your 2 cents in....if there is another pistol that I should consider would like to hear about it.....thanks in advance....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

That makes two of us that would like to know
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Wasn't aware Ruger made this model without external safety and magazine disconnect. The two thing's I didn't care for in a carry pistol. Being a southpaw, I didn't even consider a LS9 when I was looking for a sub-compact nine. I went with the Beretta Nano, that has no external appendages or magazine disconnect. The magazine release is reversible on the Nano. Is that also the case on the Ruger LS9 Pro? Would make it ambidextrous.

Winelover

Boolit Master

A friend was looking for a small 9mm, and so I've been at every gun shop in reasonable range looking at just about all the small 9s out there. Here's my ranking:

1-S&W Shield. I think it had the best trigger of them all.
    2-Ruger LC9, not the LC9s Pro. The "s" trigger is lighter, but in a long, weird way. For what the gun is designed for, I'd take the DAO, which it appears Ruger is no longer making.
    3-My friend bought a Beretta Nano. The trigger is Glock-ish. I kind of like the gun, but I don't like the oversized plastic baseplate on the standard (not extended magazine).
    4-Springfield XDs. I'd rate this one higher, but it seems heavy for the size group it's competing in.
    5-Walther PPS. This would be ahead of the Shield, if I could work the mag release. It's a German ambi paddle, which doesn't bother me, but I need another joint in my thumb to make it work.

Check them all out, and if you can, rent your top choices.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Moderator Emeritus

The LC9S Pro did away with the magazine disconnect and the external safety....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

My wife bought the "standard " LC9 model and loves it. We have noticed something interesting with ammo however. It cycles and functions perfectly with all bullit styles except wide hollow points (flying ashtrays). Apparently what is happening is the lip of the hollow point gets hung up on the feed ramp. Still a sweet carry gun though.

Boolit Master
    I had the standard LC9 and really liked it. Light, accurate, functioned perfectly. Ultimately it was too big for front pocket carry for me and I went back to a LCP.

The lc9 isn't that small. Same for the shield. The Kahr CM9 is smaller if that's important, about the same size as the G42.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	129212
    I like the Kahr Pistols. I have a CW-9 which is the smallest gun I own that I can shoot well. It has two isssues that I don't care for, though. I don't care for the plastic guide rod, and I think the metal slide guides on the frame could be a bit bigger. 1911 shooters may find that the long trigger pull is awkward, but as a revolver shooter of long standing, I like it. I would like a metal framed Kahr, but the price escalates wildly when you go up the line from the CW line.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger LC9s and find it quite nice. No problems, and I've tried 3 different types of ammo so far. As always, I suggest you find what works for you by trying as many different things as you can. For my purposes, the LC9s has been fine. I use mine to help teach my WOT clinics.

Boolit Grand Master

IMO, this makes it what it should have been to begin with. Never liked
    TINY springs and sliders all over the gun that will disable it if they
    stick or break.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

My friend has one of the of the original LC9s the only thing I really do not like about it is it is DAO but once you pull the trigger and and cycle the hammer you have to reset it if gun does not fire. In other words if you got a light primer strike or just a stubborn round you can not pull the trigger again until you work the slide. It is unlikely to be in issue but it makes it operate like a striker fired gun. I have not seen the new ones but agree with the changes particularly the magazine disconnect. FB

Boolit Bub
    I had the predecessor, the LC9 and the size was great, a little smaller than the Shield but I had a couple of issues that I couldn't get past.
    I never really could get used to the long stagey trigger and the finish they use on the gun makes it a rust magnet.
    Blackened stainless would have been a much better choice for a ccw gun.
    Recently I fondled the LC9S Pro at my LGS and was pretty impressed with the new trigger setup but the finish issue is still a deal breaker.
    It does seem that with the new LC9S that Ruger is listening to what their customers are saying.

It's hard to beat the Shield when comparing the latest single stack subs and I think I've owned most of them including PPS, XDS, Kahr, LC9.
    The Shield, PPS and XDS are all great but the ergonomic edge goes solidly to the Shield.
    I had a CW9 and a CW45 Kahr and loved the trigger and ergos but neither would run 100%.
    Last edited by Fatdaddy; 02-03-2015 at 11:41 PM.

Boolit Master

A+ for the Kahrs ! have a CW380 , PM9 , PM45 and TP45 !
    I would go for the more economical version the CM9 . when shooting you cant tell the difference between the PMP & the CM9. You can get the CM9 in my area for under $350.00
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 03-03-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Boolit Master

The LC9S is the striker fired version of the LC9. Its trigger is "Glockish" and pretty good. I like it. Good durable pistol. But my vote would still go to the Shield. Its not perfect, but its the best (IMHO) single stack pistol. Not that I wouldn't feel unarmed with the LC9S. But for the same money, the Shield. Plus Shield has cheaper magazines.
    I'll be needing that for squirrels and such.....

Banned
    I'll add to the endorsements for the Kahr pistols. They're well made and have a good track record. If you stick to 9mm, the polymer framed Kahr works just as well as the steel framed models. In the .40 S&W models I would stay with the steel framed ones. I've seen several failures in the polymer framed 40 caliber Kahrs.
    I've owned a couple of Kahr's, shot several others and have shot with associates who had them; they are solid guns.

The reports from Ruger owners concerning the small Ruger .380/9mm pistols have NOT been favorable. I like Ruger products but I'm not sure they put their best foot forward on the LC series pistols.

I'm really hoping that Remington can fix the issues with the R51 because it appears to be a good concept but clearly has production issues.

An acquaintance purchased some small Taurus 9mm pistol and I don't recall the model but it was the biggest ********* that I've seen in a long time. Probably one of the most inaccurate 9mm pistols I've ever seen. Don't know if that particular pistol was a bad example but I was decidedly not impressed.

Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank all of my Cast Boolit family for their 2 cents worth....I know you have to be careful what you ask for .... but the info was great and now I have other options....a big ol' Texas Thank You!!!!!!

I tried the original LC9 and hated the trigger. Just recently bought the LC9s and LOVE it. I don't mind the safety or magazine disconnect. I pocket carry mine and it fits fine in all my pants except my skinny jeans... Ok, so I don't really own any skinny jeans and don't see how anyone thinks this is too big for pocket carry since it's thinner and shorter than my j frame and it worked well for pocket carry for years. This actually fits my jeans pockets better than the j frame and disappears in my dress slacks that I wear for work.

Recoil is much better than my j frame and I am MUCH more accurate with the LC9s. They hadn't released the PRO when I bought mine or I would have bought that one but the lack of a safety and a magazine disconnect aren't enough to make me trade.

I actually like the LC9s better than the shield. It just feels better in my hand. I handled every single stack 9 I could find before I bought the LC9s and am very happy with my choice.

Good luck with your search!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Stone View Post
    My wife bought the "standard " LC9 model and loves it. We have noticed something interesting with ammo however. It cycles and functions perfectly with all bullit styles except wide hollow points (flying ashtrays). Apparently what is happening is the lip of the hollow point gets hung up on the feed ramp. Still a sweet carry gun though.
    Try polishing the ramp.

Boolit Buddy

Taurus make a small 9mm but it is a Taurus.