RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: just getting started

Boolit Bub

just getting started

Hello Gentlemen,
    1st post, and looking for info to get started on reloading for my 45-70 Tri Star Sharps. It was a gift to me from a friend, who knows I have a strange obsession with lobbing large chunks of lead, out to long distances. I realize this rifle probably isnt the most accurate a guy can buy, but its all I have, so I just want to maximize its capability. I have accumulated all the reloading stuff necessary to begin. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a bullet mould to purchase for shooting long range rounds, that is somewhat affordable (LYMAN?) . Also, a starting powder load for 500g slugs. I am a total rookie at this stuff, and am proceeding with all due care and caution. ANY comment/advice greatly appreciated. Have a full can of IMR 3031 to burn up. I enjoy reading this forum, and its great to know there are so many liked minded Americans out there.
    Merry Christmas to all of you. CB

Welcome

CB,
    Don't have any sage advice on your 45-70 question, but do have a supply of hearty welcome for you.
    There will be other to follow with the good advice.
    Welcome aboard.
    Dave

Boolit Bub
    Thank you Sir.. CB

Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Board, always glad to have new members.

We have a good number of BPCR shooters (You might wanna post a question in the Black powder forum as that is where most hang out.) who I am sure can answer the mold question better than I so I will defer to them.

As for the charge, that'll depend on the bullet and seating depth you settle on so lets not put the cart before the horse.

Again, Welcome to...

Wiljen
    Reloading Data Project - (in retirement)
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/reloadersrfrnce/

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a Tri Star Sharps (made by Pedretti). It isn't in the same class as some of the others but it seems to be a good shooter. I've loaded mostly Black Powder in mine so I can't vouch for the 3031. I have shot the Lyman 380 gr. round nose, Lee 450 gr. plain base and the Lee 500 GCFP without the gas check. I have shot the 500 grainer into 3 inches at 200 yards. The Lyman 380 leaded the barrel pretty bad with air cooled wheel weights.

Boolit Bub
    Trapper Jack,
    A"air cooled wheel weights" is a new one on me... what the heck is that?? CB

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by otterdriver View Post
    Trapper Jack,
    A"air cooled wheel weights" is a new one on me... what the heck is that?? CB
    As opposed to water-quenched - some casters like to drop their boolits out of the mold into a bucket of water. Hardens them some.

Then there is heat-treated boolits, where one puts them in the oven @ ~ 450* for an hour or so, then takes them out directly into the sink w/cool water. Hardens moreso, up to BHN's in the 30's.

ANd welcome to the best site on the web.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Le Loup Solitaire

45-70-500

Hi and welcome to the forum. A loading that will work with 500 grainers and IMR 3031 powder is; 41 grains that will give you about 1340 fps and you can go up to 50 grains for about 1770 fps. I would suggest starting with the 41 grain load as 500 grain bullets(using Black Powder) even at the old MV's around 1200 fps were not a lot of fun in the recoil department. However the 500 grain bullets can be accurate at 200 yards, Check your accuracy/grouping with each increment of powder that is advanced. Just for general info and comparison, the 41 grain loading at 1340 fps is putting out 2000# or one ton of muzzle energy and the same 500 grainer moving at 1750 fps is delivering 3400 ft/ pounds of ME or around a ton and 3/4. That's a lot of whomp and according to one of Newton's laws of physics it probably translates into some degree of getting noticed at the buttplate. But that is an individual thing so experiment and enjoy your Sharps, Good shooting. LLS

Moderator Emeritus
    Welcome to Cast Boolits otterdriver.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Buddy
    Echo beat me to it. Yes, they're a little softer than water quenched. Around 12-13 BHN.

Boolit Grand Master

Generally for the long distance shooting you want to go with a long, heavy boolit. In the .45 caliber I'd suggest starting with a 500-520 grain from either RCBS or Lyman - the Lyman Postal is quite popular with this crowd and would be a good start.

Only one cal of 3031?? I hope it's an 8 pounder!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Bub
    Thank you Gentlemen,
    I will probably procure a Lyman Postal to start with. Wifey is looking for a Christmas present for me, so this will be a good gift idea. You guys are awesome. DROMIA... are ye from Scotland perchance?? CB