WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 1903 sight options

Banned

1903 sight options

Hello friends,

I recently bought a Springfield(Remington) 1903 (not an -03A) that has been sporterized. The barrel has been shortened and the front and rear sights have been replaced. The rear sight is a Williams WGRS (I think) that has been mounted in the same general area as the original military sight. Bubba got the rear sight slightly out of alignment. I would send photos but unfortunately the rifle is still in limbo in the California 10 day waiting period (I know, I know).

My question is this: What are my options for a rear peep sight? I have had great results with the Skinner peep sight on my lever action and I was wondering if there was a similar concept available for this rifle.

I have searched the sight makers and most of them require drilling and mounting on the side of the receiver, for example the Lyman 5D, etc. Does anyone make a small peep the mounts to the top of the rear "hump"?

Thanks in advance for your help, this is my new winter project.
    Last edited by sghart3578; 01-31-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned
    Shiloh,

I like that sight very much. At that price it would pretty much double the value of the gun. Ha!

But thank you, I put it on my Midway wishlist.

Boolit Master

Shilo's suggestion is really the best for your rifle.

That said, I do have a William's WGRS 03A3 sight specifically made to do what you want. I don't think that they are made anymore, but perhaps a search on the internet will find one.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned
    The Williams WGRS for the 03A3 is a nice sight but it won't work on my rifle. I have a 1903. It does not have the rear peep sight so there is no dovetail for the Williams sight to slide on to. I like the WGRS but on my rifle there is no way to mount it.

The rear "hump" on my receiver is blank. There was no peep attached there from the factory. The previous owner did drill and tap a hole there for a scope mount.

Thanks guys, I will keep looking.

Boolit Master
    Ah, I would just suck it up and fill the old sight holes and re-drill/tap for a Lyman 48, 57, or Redfield and be done with it. You won't regret it in the long run. Solid sights and perfectly compliment a rifle such as that. I don't care for modern Williams aluminum sights, for no good reason other than personal aesthetics, but they are good utilitarian sights. The Lyman 48 especially has dependably repeatable click adjustments- well worth the extra bucks they cost.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Ah, I would just suck it up and fill the old sight holes and re-drill/tap for a Lyman 48, 57, or Redfield and be done with it. You won't regret it in the long run. Solid sights and perfectly compliment a rifle such as that. I don't care for modern Williams aluminum sights, for no good reason other than personal aesthetics, but they are good utilitarian sights. The Lyman 48 especially has dependably repeatable click adjustments- well worth the extra bucks they cost.
    Of course, you are right. I think that is the way I will go with it.

Thanks guys.

Boolit Master

Aperture Sights

The Williams WGRS for the 03A3 is a nice sight but it won't work on my rifle. I have a 1903. It does not have the rear peep sight so there is no dovetail for the Williams sight to slide on to. I like the WGRS but on my rifle there is no way to mount it.
    Dohh! I even read that in your first post.

Well, I think that your best bet then is the Lyman or Williams sights. Here is a Lyman 48S on my parts gun 1903.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Banned
    nice!

Boolit Buddy
    Ive got a 1903 that had been sporterized in the 1950's. It's a a gunsmiths for D&T a lyman 57 smet. No front sight ; want to put a 17A but no idea what height to get

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel 21 View Post
    Ive got a 1903 that had been sporterized in the 1950's. It's a a gunsmiths for D&T a lyman 57 smet. No front sight ; want to put a 17A but no idea what height to get
    I'm in a similar boat (except I don't want a 17A in front--had one when I was a kid, and it was a pain to hunt with). My plan is to get the rear sight mounted, then make a "blank" front sight blade. With the rear sight all the way down, I'll file the "blank" front sight to get the height I want, then get a "real" sight to match that height.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeecup View Post
    I'm in a similar boat (except I don't want a 17A in front--had one when I was a kid, and it was a pain to hunt with). My plan is to get the rear sight mounted, then make a "blank" front sight blade. With the rear sight all the way down, I'll file the "blank" front sight to get the height I want, then get a "real" sight to match that height.
    Were you using one of the aperture inserts back in the day? I use the 17A on several rifles with the post/blade inserts for just about everything, hunting included and they work a treat. Now the aperture inserts are great for bullseye shooting, but I do agree with you if you are referring to them in regards to hunting.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    Scharfschuetze, the problems I encountered were due to the nature of the sight, i.e., the tube surrounding the inserts. I normally used a post insert for everything. The sights were excellent for target shooting, silhouette (much better than the borrowed jungle carbine I started shooting silhouettes with), etc.

In the hunting field, I had trouble around dawn and dusk due to the tube blocking light. On a few occasions, I was "too close" to my target and it was difficult to select an exact aiming point. In those cases, I wound up looking over the sights, rather than using them to aim.

Boolit Master
    Lyman used to (or maybe still does) make a 17A specifically for mounting in the stock '03 Springfield front sight base. It's really just a matter of switching back and forth then with the standard sight blade to suit the game being played.

Boolit Master

Here it is. Long out of production I think, but still seen from time to time at gun shows.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    ... Here is a Lyman 48S on my parts gun 1903...
    Scharfschuetze, Is that an adjustable iris on your 48S? I have a similar set up on a M1922 and would like to find an adjustable type to screw in. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Merit Adjustable Iris. I don't know if they still make them but I see them fairly often on fleabay.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Scharfschuetze, Is that an adjustable iris on your 48S? I have a similar set up on a M1922 and would like to find an adjustable type to screw in. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kevin
    Yes it is! The Merit variable aperture iris is still very much available and a search at any of the big shooting supply houses should get you positive results.

There are long stem and short stem versions as well as various diameters available. I've found that for hunting rifles the smaller "hunting diameter" to be the best option, while match rifles get the larger diameter. My match rifles all have sights higer above the barrel than my hunting rifles and thus the larger diameter does not impede my short range zero. My hunting rifles generally have sights lower to the bore and thus the smaller diameter allows you to use the sight at a lower position without the Merit running into the receiver.

Here is a link right to the Merit web site:

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 02-14-2015 at 09:37 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Thank you very much.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.