Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting Heavy Boollit Flinters?

Perm-Banned
    i believe a 38/55 blckpowder cartridge creates more pressure than a 50/70 sharps. the sharps is a freight train and the 38/55 is at the lower end of the scale of power. people are afraid sometimes to make or buy the big bore muzzleloader because of recoil, however that can be false and the big bores can recoil less than the mid sized bores.

My 45 cal flinter spits out a patch round ball at 2033fps, why would I want to shoot anything else?

Took out a rottweiler at 80 yards, and that aint no small dog
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy
    I think some terms are being confused here, imho. The overall pressure and how it is distributed in 2 volumes are not the same thing as a lower "pressure." (We won't get into the heavier projectile weight to add more confusion. ) Don't forget a greater volume or greater area as u are saying may have a lower " psi", but remember, u did increase the other side of the formula, area, the "inches."

The hose example and how far water will "shoot" is tricky. As you go to a smaller hose the same given volume of water is bring forced though it ( in your example) velocity is increasing but pressure is decreasing.
    Last edited by Plastikosmd; 02-02-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    You're right. I was trying for a quick post that would convey the general idea, rather than spending a couple of hours digging out the numbers for a detailed explanation that no one would actually read.

Boolit Buddy
    No worries, I love this stuff and still find myself very confused at times

Kinda like putting your thumb on a garden hose

You are not increasing pressure, u are increasing velocity and decreasing flow. If velocity is going up, pressure is going down, wild ( at the orifice)
    hose pressure should be higher as less water is exiting I would guess, approaching the systems psi once u finally occlude flow. Or max pressure at 0 velocity
    Last edited by Plastikosmd; 02-02-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    What experiences have you had with flintlocks shooting heavy boolits?
    Any spectacular perpendicular fares?
    Flash hole erosion noticed?
    Accuracy noticeably different from percussion?

I've wondered about elevation changes at longer ranges. Soon I get to find out with a flintlock TC Renegade in .52 (with the tried and true 28" twist).
    I've never used any myself but hunted with a fellow that used TC maxi's in his 45 caliber TC Hawken for deer seasons. That Hawken had relatively shallow rifling of 1:48 and as such wasn't very accurate. It worked when he was able to get close inside about 25 yards, but prb's were more accurate at all ranges. I believe for TC maxi's to work you'd want a much faster twist like 1:30 or less. Just my opinion of course.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Drilling holes in the center of stainless set screws may become another hobby.
    I work in the vacuum industry, we use vented fasteners for vacuum integrity. You can buy SS screws with the holes already in them. Just cut to length

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12