Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What drill sizes?

Boolit Grand Master

From the above dimensions were talking .120 taper per foot which may be close to the appropriate taper pin reamer. Driling the case out .005-.010 undersized and then the reamer with a stop on it would give the tapered hole. But it would still need to have the top counter bored for the rim.

If you know someone who works as a machinist tool maker or best a cutter grinder, a 5/16 drill can be modified with a smaller drill/ pilot 1/2"-3/4" long ground on the end then the step sharpened and the pilot sharpened. also shorten the drill as much as possible. this will do both in one set up and stop setting. the webless pilot holds sie fairly well as it tends to burnish the last little bit. I have some counter bores and other tooling made up like this. Saved set ups tool changes. If this route is taken make sure the angles and reliefs are for brass to avoid grabbing.

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Bub
    This really is some unique stuff. Glad I found this thread

Boolit Mold
    Wow guys, thanks so much for the information!!

I bought those above, they use .38 short blanks, not very easy to find in Canada So using your info I machined the already shot .38 blanks to take .209 primers, and they work FLAWLESS! I trim the case shorter and press in the case and primer into the hull:

Then through the high pressure to low pressure vent hole I fill up the entire high pressure chamber with 12.5 grains (by weight) of Triple Seven FFg left loose/not packed (for detonation). Amazing performance

I bought super nice very short "Carbide Drill Bits for Stainless Steel and Nickel, Titanium-Nitride (TiN) Coated" from McMaster-Carr (because I'll eventually be making stainless steel .38 to 209 adapters) and I don't own any "real" cobalt drills so I figured I'd get real nice ones. Should drill nice exact size holes.

Thanks again guys!

-Jamie M.

Boolit Master
    I remember reading an article about modifying .45-70 brass to accept 209 shotshell primers many, many years ago in HANDLOADER magazine - back before it became just more grocery store pap. The intent was to get a better propellant burn, IIRC. The author went to a lot of trouble to modify a handful of brass for experimentation, and ultimately abandoned the project. Too much work for too little useful results.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

There is a short piece in an old American Rifleman from about 1950 or so by Elmer Keith about a couple ways to convert Berdan primed cases for old English double rifles. He attributes the 209 conversion concept to Bob Ward of Missoula Mt, as using a 5/16 drill (.3125) and 15/64 drill (.2343). A .450 (3.25 case) load is listed as (max) 50gr. of 4198, 405gr. bullet to replace the original load of 55gr. Cordite and 365 gascheck bullet.
    I have a Lyman #46 showing max. load in a .45-120-3.25 as 54 gr. of 4198 with a 300 grain jacketed (34,600 c.u.p.).
    I'm thinking old Bob didn't have any lace on his undies shooting that 50gr. load with a 405gr bullet in a double rifle and lighting it with a shotgun primer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12