RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 point Buck vs. 338 Federal

Boolit Grand Master

7 point Buck vs. 338 Federal

The buck lost.............

My friend Bryan killed this one yesterday afternoon.
    The distance was 138 yards.

Bryan was using a load of 17.2 grs. of 2400 with an old mold designed by Walt Melander , NEI.

The bullet weighs 262 grs. is gas checked and sized .3395".
    Bryan shoots a Tika , T-3 in 338 Federal.
    He found the bullet just under the skin on the back side of the deer. The deer weighed about 140 lbs.

May have to step the velocity up on this load prior to next year's hunting season ? ? He said the deer dropped and didn't take a step.

Here is the bullet that he found :

The bullet started out at 262 grains :

Last edited by Ben; 01-31-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Banned

If it were me, I'd probably not change a thing. Truthfully, I've never shot a deer that far away and most have been a third that distance or so.

I killed a deer with a .358 and cast this year. Hit at such an angle that the bullet went through almost lengthwise and didn't exit, though I never managed to find it. Was thinking of switching to a heavier bullet like yours, but I probably won't, the deer didn't go far and that's what matters.

How late does the deer season run down your way? Been over a while here.

Banned

By the way, great deer, great write up and great pictures. I love to see this kind of thread.

Boolit Grand Master
    richhodg66

Today, 1-31 is the final day.

As to the bullet, I always like an exit hole, but the deer dropped like it had been hit by lightening. Like you've said, dead is dead.

Thanks,
    Ben

Boolit Grand Master
    Well done. He has come along nicely.

I too prefer an exit when possible. Mine this year with the 45 Colt Marlin didn't leave an exit. Next year it will be going a touch faster.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Geez, I'd love to see the angle that he hit that deer. I just can't wrap my mind around a 140# deer stopping a 260 grain rifle boolit. Good shooting and well done for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master
    fatnhappy

I doubt the deer would have stopped it at 40 yards, but after adding another 100 yds, I'm certain the projectile had lost a good bit of velocity.

Boolit Mold
    I stepped the distance off at 143 yards yesterday evening. Went back today with my rangefinder. It was actually 138 yards. Hit him almost perfectly broadside alittle high. As i was skinning the deer i saw a knot on the opposite side. It was the boolit pushing the hyde out. Another 1/2 grain of 2400 and i would have had an exit hole. A year ago i would have never thought i would have harvested a deer with a lead boolit. Thanks to all you guys for your comments and support. Especially thans to Ben for his time and patience.

Boolit Master

Awesome performance from any boolit or bullet too for that matter. I agree that a touch faster would have made an exit hole but really would have not changed a thing. As you said Ben dead is dead and a DRT cannot be beat. The range was much further than I usually take deer and may not be anywhere near that distance in the future. At any rate congradulations are certainly in order for both of you. Good hunting season for sure for you fellas.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    That looks like hollow point destruction of the bullet. That is why a solid is better. Guarantee a pass through with a solid. Was it a HP or solid?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Alloy?

Boolit Master
    Great shot never considered a 338 tell us more about this wonderful cal.

Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    I stepped the distance off at 143 yards yesterday evening. Went back today with my rangefinder. It was actually 138 yards. Hit him almost perfectly broadside alittle high. As i was skinning the deer i saw a knot on the opposite side. It was the boolit pushing the hyde out. Another 1/2 grain of 2400 and i would have had an exit hole. A year ago i would have never thought i would have harvested a deer with a lead boolit. Thanks to all you guys for your comments and support. Especially thans to Ben for his time and patience.
    Morton congrats on a good shot and the drt. That's a nice buck for your first with cast! Yes i like exit holes in case they run a bit for a better blood trail, but sounds like your boolit and load dumped all the energy inside and he only went about 3 feet....straight down! I got the exits on my deer this year, but from the looks of the wound channels, i didn't get the expansion you did. One ran about 30 yds. and the other about 100 yds. Great blood trails but no drt. Think i need to try a bit softer alloy if accuracy will stay the same.
    Great job on yours!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    Alloy?
    50% AC WW's and 50% range scrap

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    That looks like hollow point destruction of the bullet. That is why a solid is better. Guarantee a pass through with a solid. Was it a HP or solid?
    Solid

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by monge View Post
    Great shot never considered a 338 tell us more about this wonderful cal.
    May be more than you want to read, but here it is :

http://www.chuckhawks.com/338_federal_first_look.htm

Boolit Grand Master
    Never lost a deer due to over penetration of a Boolit.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

All this boollit talk is good, but I just have to grin at a brother caster's simple success.
    Cast bullets simply work...dead is dead.
    Grins..
    Nice job.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Morton View Post
    Good job, both of you! Exit holes come in handy when tracking, a DRT makes them a moot point. Nicely done.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Never lost a deer due to over penetration of a Boolit.
    Amen brother. I like two holes, if for no other reason: even perfectly shot deer rarely DRT. I like a blood trail a blind man can follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast