Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Dual use bullets?Choose one to use "as cast" for Ruger Old Army, size it for.45 Colt?

Boolit Buddy

Dual use bullets?Choose one to use "as cast" for Ruger Old Army, size it for.45 Colt?

Sure tickled to have my new-to-me Ruger Old Army with an accessory .45 Colt R&D cylinder. This is a convoluted question to me and formulating a search phrase isn't easy for me.
    I'm hoping that I could buy the .45 caliber Lee REAL 200 grain mold and use the bullets "as cast" for my Old Army's when using it as a percussion cap revolver. But I'm also thinking maybe I could buy a .452 sizing die and size the REAL bullets down to load in .45 Colt, Cowboy Action Shooting level loads when using the R&D accessory cylinder. I would be using pure lead in both applications and keeping velocity low, and tumble lubing with 45-45-10 as I've learned here. I don't see the conical Lee REAL bullet mold any more from Lee that I've seen pictured in articles about conicals for the Ruger Old Army. I might be missing something though.
    I think I remember reading here about a gentleman sizing a REAL bullet to make light loads for his .500 Smith and Wesson revolver, but over the years I have read SO much about SO many reloading, shooting and gun things I cannot find it here or on other forums I frequent.
    One thing that concerns me with the idea of sizing a REAL bullet is the varying diameter of the drive bands along the length of the slug. It may be that starting the slug in a sizing die could be tricky but I just don't know.
    The REAL bullets have, from the articles I have read, a good accuracy reputation and I could meet my wants for one bullet for both fixed ammo and loose powder shooting.
    Can anyone point me to an article or thread here or somewhere else I can study before spending my money?
    Sure do appreciate you folks. Don
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1250834.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	129111

This looks like it may be the mold about which you're inquiring. However, I don't know how much success you're going to have sizing this bullet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147...ProductFinding

Super Moderator

Don,

You will want to size the Real Boolit to .454. I'm attaching an article by ED Harris on loading for the Old Army. I hope you will find it useful. http://www.icehouse.net/fgrig/gun/OLDARMY.TXT

The ROA uses a .456 diam. conical or a .457 round ball. I do not know what the .45 cyl. will need.

Quote Originally Posted by stubert View Post
    The ROA uses a .456 diam. conical or a .457 round ball. I do not know what the .45 cyl. will need.
    Used the conical sized 452 in 45 ACP. Unsized in the 45LC. Picture's coming soon.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_2078.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	129198
    Last edited by jabo52521; 02-01-2015 at 10:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    Well. I used to have a walk behind tractor made by Gravely. It did everything. Had a sickle bar mower for hay cutting, had a rotary rough cut mower, had a tiller, a snow blade; well you get the idea. Thing is, although it did all those things, it did none of them very well.

You have a relatively rare issue firearm. Its a real treat and will shot flies off the sourgun on the back wall with impunity with front stuffed ammo or from the 45 Colt cylinder. IF you do your part. A big part of your part is loading that fine piece properly. A round ball or designed for Ruger Old Army boolit for the front feed cylinder and a traditional 45 Colt boolit for the rear. A one does both will be a Gravely. It will go BANG, it will make you smile; it won't wring out what that fine pistol can do.

Now for some conceited self promotion. There is a boolit for black powder 45 Colt that is a thing to wax poetic over; the PRS 454-250-RF. It is easy to cast. You can shoot REAL black powder for thousands of rounds and more without fouling-out (losing accuracy or binding the cylinder). There are improved versions of that same boolit developed by some of the good ole boys on this forum for long range rifle in the event you get a lever gun to match your side arm. AND, there is a front loading version of the PRS-454-250-RF called the DD/PRS OLD ARMY boolit that is a thing to weep for joy over when front loading your Old ARMY over REAL black powder. The two PRS versions are or were available through Dick Dastardly's site called BigLubeboolits or something like that. The improved long range one was done as a small group buy spear headed by Jack Christian aka WW30CF. John Boy might also have info about it.

You have a special revolver that will really shoot. Treat it right.

prs

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks to you all. I do have some reading and study ahead of me I see, and I'm glad that I asked. PRS we too had a Gravely "Super Convertible" in the 70's, and several accessories for it too. Very powerful. I know exactly what you mean. It was neither fish nor fowl it's entire career with my family. Don

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Can't help but chime in on this . . . ahhhh . . . the self propelled do everything Gravely walk behind do it all but non of it well farm appliance! We had one as well in the 60s - sickle bar, blade, mower and the most used attachment (for us) was a large 24" circular saw. We welded skids on the outer "guard" (which was worthless) and used it to cut down many cedar trees on the farm that the birds had "planted" by eating the berries and then "dropping" them as they passed through. You could easily walk up to a cedar that was 6 to 8 inches on the stump . . . swing the blade in to it and down it would go with the stump cut low to the ground. Today, OSHA would be having a stroke about 'em Im sure!

But I digress . . . Tallbald . . . that's one mighty fine ROA you have there! One of the finest C & Bs ever made for a "working gun". You are going to have so much fun with it that you won't want to go to bed at night! Enjoy and have fun!

Boolit Buddy
    Again thanks to each of you. This week a friend and I have plans to head to the range and it will be a "front stuffer morning", with me trying out this Old Army using ball and Triple 7, and some old cowboy loads from 2006 in the R&D cylinder.I'll also be trying newly cast by me 250 grain REAL .50 caliber slugs in a CVA Optima V2 inline pistol I have and love. As I've share before, this casting hobby has made shooting once again an affordable pursuit for me unlike it's been for years. Don