Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Blew a gasket

Boolit Master

Blew a gasket

Blew a gasket on my LAM II this evening. Called RCBS and they are sending me two sets , free of charge. I know the LAM II is many years old, but looks and works like a new one, except for the blowout...RCBS warranty is second to none!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Is your lube warm enough?

Boolit Master
    Yes. It's C R. Been using it for years.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    I love rcbs too. It is all i own. What is "cr"?

Boolit Master
    Carnauba Red, sold by a vendor on this site...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Tom;
    I have been using Lars White Label Carnauba Red for several years with great satisfaction. However, it DOES require heat to easily apply the lube. If you are not heating your lube/sizer you will have problems that could end up damaging your luber. It requires too much effort to move that lube from the sizer to the bullets and this WILL over stress the tool.

Me? I use the Lyman flat heater that is drilled and tapped for a Star (what I mostly use) the RCBS and the Lyman lube/sizers. I added a rheostat to control the amount of heat (the Lyman heater has no adjustment).

If you ARE heating your sizer, then just forget I said anything...

FWIW
    Dale53

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I posted a FREE TO ALL MEMBERS O-RINGS FOR THE RCBS LAM11 lube sizer about 1 month ago. I guess it was lost. It would be nice if they would keep it on top for awhile.
    I purchased a pack of the O-rings from an industrial supply house, I had no idea it was for a pack of 100. I posted that any member who used the RCBS and needed a few for back up or repair to contact me via sending me a self addressed envelope and I would include a few for free.
    I was a little disappointed when I received no request.
    I guess I will try posting again. The O-rings that I received are made of a nitrile type of material that is good for -35 to 285 degrees. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    I never saw the post. that is a very generous offer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    I posted a FREE TO ALL MEMBERS O-RINGS FOR THE RCBS LAM11 lube sizer about 1 month ago. I guess it was lost. It would be nice if they would keep it on top for awhile.
    I purchased a pack of the O-rings from an industrial supply house, I had no idea it was for a pack of 100. I posted that any member who used the RCBS and needed a few for back up or repair to contact me via sending me a self addressed envelope and I would include a few for free.
    I was a little disappointed when I received no request.
    I guess I will try posting again. The O-rings that I received are made of a nitrile type of material that is good for -35 to 285 degrees. Later David
    David,
    I didn't see the first post, but I'll certainly take you up on your generous offer. Sending a PM for your address.

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Moderator Emeritus

re: RCBS customer service,

My old RCBS Pro Melt that I bought new in the mid 1980s finally died on me, so I contacted RCBS CS and they said "Send it in, we will fix it". So I sent it to them via FedEx and exactly two weeks later, to the day, I received my Pro Melt back. They had replaced the heating element, the thermostat, the on/off switch, the actual pot liner, and threw in a new valve assembly, to boot.

The cost? No charge!

I had always heard that their customer service was good, but this is almost unbelievable in this day and age! Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Super Moderator

cajun shooter....pm sent!

Boolit Master
    They did send what they called a Fiber gasket, I believe it is supposed to go in the top somewhere, but it doesn't match up to anything that is in there now... the ID is smaller than the existing one.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Free O-Rings for RCBS sizer/luber presses are still available for free to all members. I will keep giving them away until I have no more. Just read my OP for details.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...uot&highlight= theres the thread for the O-rings
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

I am very impressed with RCBS CS. I even called them to purchase a new case cutter for my trimmer (several years old) and they sent me a new one. Didn't expect that. They have sent me a new rod for my swager (my fault) and a replacement powder reservoir tube that cracked; all no charge.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    They did send what they called a Fiber gasket, I believe it is supposed to go in the top somewhere, but it doesn't match up to anything that is in there now... the ID is smaller than the existing one.
    I had some problems with mine years ago and somewhere along the line they sent me a whole Lube Pressure Screw assembly which is the one presently in use on my machine. However I took a peek at the old one. If you take the Retaining Ring (3) #09105 off the top of the Threaded Reservoir Cap (4) #80048 you'll find there's a Fiber Washer under there and was the one that used to go bad on mine. I can't remember if the assembly I'm using has it or not but my first unit also had a fiber washer UNDER the Threaded Reservoir Cap and they were two different sizes. My notes below.

FIBER WASHER PART 80055

7/8” OD (.870”)
    ˝” ID (.511”)
    Thick 1/16” (.063)

OTHER FIBER WASHER

7/8” OD (.870”)
    5/8” ID (.647”)
    Thick 3/32” (.094”)
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826