Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Bad hunting season for my scopes

Boolit Buddy

Bad hunting season for my scopes

Well, I just got back from the range, checking another scope that seems to be having issues.
    A few weeks ago, I had my Bushnell 3-9x 40mm on my AR, and as I tried to turn the cover off the windage adjustment, the whole adjustment came off the scope. Just a hole in the side of the scope where the adjustment used to be. I'm contemplating what to do with that one, maybe I'll somehow make it a spotting scope.
    Today, I'm messing with a Tasco 3-9x 50mm that is hitting very low. Yesterday I had to get within 5 FEET of the target to hit the bottom of a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper. Today I switched it to another gun, same scope mount, and got it to dial in at 25 yards, but it was within a few turns of all the way up. I switched it to my AR using another scope mount, and got it to hit the bottom of the paper from 20 yards, but again had to turn it up one full turn from the settings on the other rifle.
    These scopes have seen some use that could be extreme; I think at some point I've had one or the other mounted on my muzzle loader. However, I didn't think the muzzle loader would be much worse than the factory loads from something like a 91/30, and I've at least heard of people using them on those old Mosin Nagants.
    I think it's time to start scope shopping, I've had some recommended to me for the AR, including the Redfield Revolution, which I guess is USA made. Only problem for the next few weeks is that I'm living on unemployment as I wait for another job to start up. It's going to get pretty boring as I wait for enough cash.... Glad I've got some more lead to melt down, and other guns to shoot.
    Anyone else have recommendations on scopes aside from the Redfield Revolution mentioned above? I don't have the cash flow (yet) to go out buying Leupold and the like, but if things work out well, that my change as this new job gets going.
    Of course, then I'll also be building my gun collection, which will mean a bigger safe...... And then the new safe will look bare, so I'll have to buy more guns, then more molds to cast for whatever calibers I pick up....
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Master

What a vicious cycle, I feel your pain both with scopes and lack of funds. I've bought a few of the new weaver k series of scopes and for the money I'd rank.them about as good as a leopuld or my high end Nikon.

Boolit Master

Burris and Nikon make some very nice scopes for $200 to $300 and I have never had a problem with either one.

On Heaven's Range

Two of my scopes are high-magnification Tascos.... a 6-24X and a fixed-power 36X (!).
    These are used ONLY for load development, and better sights are used for hunting or varminting. There are about a dozen Leupolds on rifles in my safe, along with a couple from each of Redfield and Pentax.

One Bushnell "Scopechief" 1.5-4.5X gave extremely good service for over twenty years in the harsh climate of the Arctic..... like most variables, in extreme cold it ceased to be a "variable". Once it became really cold, the power adjustment stopped working. Something finally went wrong with the innards after I emigrated to Nevada and the scope was taken out of service.

The new Redfield sights are working well; we have three or four among my family and all are serving without problems. The cost of these is quite reasonable.

A Pentax "Pioneer" 4.5-14.5 is a great scope on my CZ Varminter, but there's little recoil to possibly damage a scope with an eleven-pound .22-250!

I think that a good quality "floor" for hunting scopes would be something like the Weavers and the Redfield Revolution series. For NON-CRITICAL uses like load work or varmints, the less-expensive brands MIGHT suffice.... but when I go hunting it's Leupold all the way.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Boolit Master
    One day I was at the range about 20 years ago. A guy with a scoped AR was looking confused while trying to zero his scope. He called me over and asked about it. He could not see clearly through the scope.
    It was a Bushnell 4 to 12 variable - one of the moderately priced versions back then.
    I could not see through the scope either and it was like it was horribly out of focus. I asked if he had tried to focus the scope and he said yes. Thinking he might have turned it a mile too far in or out I started to turn it while I looked through it.
    When I did the element in front of the eye piece fell over sideways in the focal path.
    I showed him the edge of the lens while he looked through the ocular lens.

My theory comes from problems with scopes moving .22 LR autoloader with the dovetail grooves.
    The whack whack of the bolt flying back an forth slamming to a stop at each end of the travel is like many impacts with a tack hammer. Much like the little air chisels used to cut damaged sheet metal out of car bodies. None of the whacks are very heavy but they are rapid and numerous. On a .22 the scope mounts slide on the receiver.

On the AR with the heavier bolt you get the tapping that can break a cemented lense loose.
    If you want a good scope for a heavily used autoloader make sure you get one that can take
    the reciprocation of the bolt. A cheap scope that is epoxied or held together with Superglue is not going to hold up.
    Combine glue with the heat of a Texas summer and I think you can kill almost any lightly constructed scope.
    I have an old Weaver, bottom of the line, Marksman 3X9. I got the scope because it was on a rifle that I wanted and was willing to throw the scope away if it was no good. The power change cam is an injection molded piece of crapola. The cam slot is sort of beat up from the .30-30 it was on. I know an AR would beat it to death easily.
    Last edited by EDG; 01-30-2015 at 05:18 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    Sightron might be worth a look, something to fit any budget, I would rate their SI entry level scopes as good or better than anything else in the price range.

Boolit Master
    Well? Cabela's had Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 scopes on sale free shipping for $199 this week...I ordered one on Sunday and had it in hand by Wednesday...

Nikon Prostaff scopes are moderately priced, decent quality, and guaranteed for life.

Boolit Master
    With an autoloader, you have 2 recoils, back from the shot and forward from the bolt mass hitting the end of its forward travel. You may want to look at a 'springer rated' air rifle scope. They will handle both recoil impulses.

I really like all these polite responses. Summarized, what you pay pretty much dictates what you get. Bluntly, do not expect much from an inexpensive (cheap) scope. Moreover, there are some good scopes out there that are reasonably priced. Here is one that I have bought and liked. I bought a Burris Fullfield II 2x7 ballistic plex for $166, including shipping. That happens to be about my favorite power range for my typical hunting situation.
    "Time wounds all heels." Well, maybe not, but it helps me to think so rather than responding to bad actors.

Boolit Master
    +1 for the spring-gun scopes.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Vortex Crossifire II 2-7x32 that I love! Lifetime warranty too. Can be had for just over 100 bucks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    The new Redfield sights are working well; we have three or four among my family and all are serving without problems. The cost of these is quite reasonable.

I think that a good quality "floor" for hunting scopes would be something like the Weavers and the Redfield Revolution series. For NON-CRITICAL uses like load work or varmints, the less-expensive brands MIGHT suffice.... but when I go hunting it's Leupold all the way.
    I'll second that. I've got two of the new Redfields and they've held up well. If you wait for sales or have coupons, you can often get Leupold VX1s for about the same money as the Redfield Revolution. My other rule is that if it kicks hard, it gets a Leupold.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell